How bamboo flooring is made

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

RWHoffhines
Master Guide

How bamboo flooring is made

Post by RWHoffhines »

Not sure how to embed, but I thought this was informative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu5QRDNLeYw

Rob

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: How bamboo flooring is made

Post by PYochim »

Check out Greenington bamboo furniture. We have a bed, desk and two dresers from them. Well made and attractive.

RWHoffhines
Master Guide

Post by RWHoffhines »

Thanks for the tip, that is neat stuff? Wish I had a mid-century modernist style house!

gofish60
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gofish60 »

Several friends who've used it for flooring. Very attractive, but the one drawback seems to be that it will dent permanently if a heavy object is dropped on it (leg of a bed, or the corner of a refrigerator, in one case).
gofish

Jaimec
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Jaimec »

gofish60 wrote:Several friends who've used it for flooring. Very attractive, but the one drawback seems to be that it will dent permanently if a heavy object is dropped on it (leg of a bed, or the corner of a refrigerator, in one case).
gofish
Yep. A good friend and fishing buddy is a hardwood floor installer and says the same. Durable, but easily 'scarred'. They tend to talk people out of it, unless that's the look they are after, or simply like the 'green' aspect of using bamboo, as it grows much faster than any hardwood.
Jaime
"Custom Made Silk Fly Lines, Tenkara and Furled Leaders, Hand Made in the USA"

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Thanx Rob,
Interesting.

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

One of my customers here in the US manufacturers bamboo decking, siding, shiplap and lumber using a patented fusion process. They harvest the bamboo grasses every 5-7 years, so it's a totally renewable resource and is Class-A fire rated. You cannot drive a nail into it because it is so dense. It is 87% bamboo and 13% phenolic resins.

https://dassoxtr.com/

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Just checked out that link! Gnomish wheels turning! Must get a couple of boards of this to play with!

If it is not totally overcooked this has extreme potential as Laminate rod material (already laminated ready to taper). They compare it to Ipe/greenheart. Arrgghhh another thing the gnome MUST try! This has me wheels spinning at warp speed, impregnated Laminate rods with Torzite guides:eek

uh oh here comes a flock of wa was!! My apologies to Joe Walsh for the wa-was comment!

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I visited and exhibition on the use of bamboo as a building material at the Postal Museum in Washington DC in the late eighties (I don't know if it was a permanent part or a visiting exhibit) and they cautioned that high heels should not be worn on Bamboo flooring and made anyone wearing them take them off prior to entering the exhibit.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Don't forget to wear these around your bamboo furniture.
https://freeflyapparel.com/collections/ ... mboo-boxer

(these are actually really good! and comfy! and apropos!)

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

I'm just getting video unavailable. Must have been taken down.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

I did one of our rooms with a bamboo laminate a while ago. Looks good, holds up well but seems to "dent" easily.
We also have a set of bamboo sheets for our bed; comfy as Brooks says.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

samples of the Dasso classic ordered after a very interesting discussion with a rep. stable lumber for the form fit to go with the rod yeehaw!

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

I look forward to seeing the rod!
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Watched many of these type videos. There is a LOT of research going into bamboo right now due to the industrialization of this plant. It's worth a night or two of investigation. There are some great academic papers floating around and tons of great videos from various industries. All kinds of info on species, heat treating, steam exploding, resin impregnating, laminating, carbonization, etc., etc.

The bicycle industry is also doing some very interesting things with bamboo.

It is also worth looking into the old ways of making things from bamboo found across Asia and other locations, too. Basket and lamp making, archery products, house framing, and so on. Think bamboo prep and splitting methods and technology with speed and accuracy like you have never witnessed at a rodmaker gathering, glues, heating and smoking, bending and forming, etc. Really incredible stuff.

Totally fascinating at least to me. Some of these videos are really mesmerizing.

Have fun!

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Gnome wrote:samples of the Dasso classic ordered after a very interesting discussion with a rep. stable lumber for the form fit to go with the rod yeehaw!
Jeff, this will be fun to see what you can build with dassoXTR's Classic.

cdmoore, when you look at bamboo as a global building product it is amazing all the things made from different species of bamboo grasses.

http://dassousa.com/Products.aspx

Some of the bamboo species can grow as much as 3 feet overnight and grow as tall as 118 feet.

John

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

should see the test material today! and the rods I build from this will have Ceramic Nitride/ Torzite guides, and gasp, the blasphemy! but they will have cork grips, Burled or regular, the burled should help with the balance due to the weight of the material itself. might do a little three-piece to the Orvis specs for the little pack rod with glass ferrules and the CN single feet should be a spectacular rod if the material works like I hope it will.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

1st strip showed that this stuff is way overcooked and is horribly brittle in smaller strips, so I would say the test was a resounding failure/success in the fact that for our applications it has shown this is not the way!

will make some pretty bases for artwork though ;-)

DelBoy

Post by DelBoy »

Make some bigger hexagon “rods” for pen/pencil blanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

This stuff is heavy and brittle in small dimensions, but it will also make some very cool jewelry boxes. I will get my money back in artwork from this experiment. Too bad it did not work. I was really hoping it would. So I would discourage the use of that material for fishing rods, No Bueno!

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”