Just When I Thought I Had Seen It All

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

xvigauge
Guide

Just When I Thought I Had Seen It All

Post by xvigauge »

I just saw an advertisement on TV for "The Miracle Bamboo Bra." Only $19.95 for one and they will throw in two more for free. They claim bamboo fibers run through the fabric to offer a better fit and more comfort. Well, we have our bamboo fly rods, and they are using bamboo for flooring and other building materials, so why not bras? I am waiting for bamboo boxer shorts to be introduced. Maybe some bamboo rod makers can explore that possibility.
Joe

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Just When I Thought I Had Seen It All

Post by quashnet »

You're way behind the curve, Joe: A family member bought bamboo shorts for me years ago. Not the same bamboo species as used for rods, I'm sure, but still interesting to see in the marketplace.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

gofish60
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gofish60 »

Saw bamboo bed sheets for sale one day when Mrs Gofish was dragging me from store to store to carry stuff like a Sherpa.
gofish

Jaimec
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Jaimec »

I've looked at bamboo ball caps to have embroidered with my logo for fishing hats. Seems appropriate, somehow. The bamboo fiber is burned, then turned into a polyester fiber, if I remember correctly. 100% renewable and takes far less natural resources than cotton to grow. I'll do it one of these days, but I have to order 50 to get the price reasonable with a 3 color logo.
Jaime
"Custom Made Silk Fly Lines, Tenkara and Furled Leaders, Hand Made in the USA"

flyslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyslinger »

Those bamboo sheets are the bomb! Most comfortable sheets we've ever found. My wife buys them online when they go on sale (usually on one holiday or another) because they are fairly expensive. They do have a lifetime guarantee, however.
She discovered them while we were on a cruise, because the "shopping director" was carrying on about how great they are. Now every time we go on a cruise we get another set. The last time we were in the Cariloha store in Cozumel, I bought a bamboo shirt. It's probably the coolest most comfortable polo type shirt I've worn. I'm sold.
Bamboo fabrics aren't especially new, I believe Harry Boyd gave me a hat made from bamboo fibers when I purchased a rod from him.
"Always drink upstream from the herd."

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I'm thinking product quality will be directly related to proper oven tempering.

Jay Edwards

xvigauge
Guide

Post by xvigauge »

So I guess I am "way behind the curve." I usually am (I think). Why? I have no idea. I live in the same world as most people here on the forum, I suppose. Maybe it's because I just shut my mind off to things in which I am not interested. I am definitely interested in bamboo fly rods. Maybe it was just something in this one advertisement that caught my attention. Maybe it was the girls modeling the bras, or maybe it was just the mention of the word "bamboo." I just never thought of bamboo fibers being used in fabric. So, I now see that they are, but as far as I know, I have never come across any bamboo fiber fabric that I was aware of. I have known for years that bamboo is used in flooring and other building materials, so maybe I am not completely "way behind the curve," but maybe I still am. But so far, I don't believe that being "way behind the curve" has proven to be detrimental, at least not for me.
Joe

Fishbamboorods

Post by Fishbamboorods »

The bamboo clothing from Freefly Apparel is amazing.

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

Note that there is NO bamboo - as such - in bamboo textiles and bamboo clothing. In all cases it's just viscose (rayon) made from cellulose from bamboo ('grass wood') rather than 'tree wood'...

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

henkverhaar wrote:
11/21/20 10:20
Note that there is NO bamboo - as such - in bamboo textiles and bamboo clothing. In all cases it's just viscose (rayon) made from cellulose from bamboo ('grass wood') rather than 'tree wood'...
Not sure what you mean by "NO bamboo-as such"-? Bamboo fabric is indeed made from bamboo. The bamboo is crushed, broken down with enzymes and chemcals, fibers are extracted and spun into fabric. Somewhat similar to flax being used to make linen.

If "as such" means whole pieces of bamboo. . . .well then your bamboo underwear would be more like wind chimes than a garment :lol

I second the recommendation for Freefly bamboo 'boxers'. They are the most comfortable ones I've ever worn.

Marterius
Master Guide

Post by Marterius »

Considering our collective and unpleasant experiences of bamboo splinters, I am relieved to read that it is a different species of bamboo, and that the process is very different from the making of a cane rod. :)

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

I et some bamboo (shoots) the other day, common ingredient in various Asian cuisines. Using bamboo chop sticks. Now, to sleep in such sheets, wearing bamboo drawers, then standing bamboo flooring, in a bamboo hut. In a bamboo forest.

Red64
Guide

Post by Red64 »

In my 72 years on this planet, I never thought I would be posting this. My wife and I hike a lot in Utah, northren Arizona and Colorado. As a birthday present, she bought me a couple of pairs of bamboo underwear. Without getting too graphic, they are unbelievably comfortable and wick moisture away from the body. An excellent gift.

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

How do you wash and iron one of those bamboo shirts?

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”