Sock recommendations?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Sock recommendations?

Post by creakycane »

As far as the Camino, yes, portions do pass through some reasonable fishing spots. You can find trout in Hemingway country up from Pamplona on the Irati River around Roncesvalles/ Burguete, as well as on the French side of the Pyrenees.... The Camino passes over a couple of notable trout streams near Leon, as well as Burgos. That said, there is much better trouting in Spain and France than these stretches close to the Camino, but it can be done. Harder than finding the river is figuring out how to get licenses for the various parts of Spain and France, which is not trivial, and not a one-stop-shop kind of thing. Plan to have cash, and stop in cafes/bars near the streams to get licenses. Sometimes more than one for a stretch.

As far as socks, while hard to find, the Rohner Trekking Socks are like nothing else I've used, and are comfortable and wear exceedingly well. Watch Sierra Trading, though mostly I've seen them in Europe.

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

Both the Smartwool and Darn Tough socks are thumbs up here, BUT I (as others have noted) where a good quality Smartwool liner either wool/nylon or silk. I am surprised how well silk wears and how much warmth they add without the bulk when worn wading.

Best,

Carl

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Post by DireWolf53 »

Any good merino wool sock of moderate weight will do the trick.
If you tend toward blistering easy you might try this trickbackcountry
skiers have used for ages.
Wear a pair of ankle high woman's stockings. They really work. Another
thought is a pair of 5 toe merino wool socks. They too help to cut down
the chance you will get blisters.
Enjoy the trip it is on my bucket list.

PS Another brand to consider is Farm to Feet~ 100% made in the US!
Last edited by DireWolf53 on 05/21/20 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Smartwool has been my go to for a long time, even just for daily wear. Wife's also and she is hard on socks.
I'll have to look into the DarnTough ones.
Merino wool "for the win".

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”