Sock recommendations?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

lambertjohna

Sock recommendations?

Post by lambertjohna »

Hi all,
I am walking the Camino Portugues coastal route in March 2017 and was hoping for some recommendations on what types of socks to wear.
Last year I walked from SJDP to Santiago and my toes were a mess and very painful. I've been thinking of toe socks. What is the best? Wool?

Any advice would be appreciated as last year it was quite painful or are problems with toes unavoidable?

It's here my interested: Carhartt Socks

If you're a Carhartt owner, would like to hear your experience with the extendable Carhartt durability and how they compare to other Socks you've tried.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Holland
Master Guide

Re: Sock recommendations?

Post by Holland »

Smartwool merino PHD's! We walked the West Highland Way in Scotland in June...

BrownBear
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BrownBear »

Holland wrote:Smartwool merino PHD's!
Same here. I love Carhart gear including their socks, but the socks are intended more for work than long walks. I particularly like the fact that you can choose from an array of Smart Wool models to match your activity. Best of all, Smart Wool socks last lots longer than any others I've tried. They're not cheap at the time of purchase, but considering the span of time between replacements, they're among the cheapest around.

DonT
Master Guide

Post by DonT »

Smart Wools are really good as are Icebreakers. Filsons are outstanding, the best I've come across. Maybe a statement of the obvious, but it's really important to match the weight of the socks both to the weather and to the fit in your boots. Are you happy with your boots? Do you think they were part of the problem? I've learned the hard way that you can't really tell about the true fit of boots under heavy use without miles of actual hiking. I've also learned the hard way that scrimping on the price of boots is not worth it. It's worth the investment to find a reputable high end hiking or outdoor store (with a return policy if possible) and be fitted. Good luck, sounds awesome.
Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
West Linn, OR
Repairs/Renovations
Custom Builds

j2t
Guide

Post by j2t »

Darn Tough from Vermont. Smart wools are good...DT's are better.

dshx
Master Guide

Post by dshx »

j2t wrote:Darn Tough from Vermont. Smart wools are good...DT's are better.
+ 1
I also liked the heavier SmartWool socks until I picked up a couple pairs of Darn Tough. Super durable but comfortable (I normally can’t wear wool next to my skin).

-Dwight

Chased
Guide

Post by Chased »

Darn Tough. Expensive, but worth every penny. https://darntough.com/

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

Interesting subject. Quite a few years ago, I bought a package of Orvis' Smart Wool wading socks to wear when I go fishing (I think they cost something like $33.00 for 3 pairs). I liked them so much, that I now have probably close to a dozen pairs of these socks and I wear them virtually every day, summer through winter (yes, I do change socks and St. Joan washes them quite often).

The Marino wool and polyester (or Spandex or whatever is in them) absorb summer sweat and insulate in the winter. The only time I don't wear them is when I "dress up." In fact, I'm wearing them at this very moment as I do this post!

I'm also a big Filson fan (I wear wools all winter once it gets cold) and would think that the Filsons are just as good, or better, although probably more expensive.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

I love Kenetrek. Kenetrek sees to last longer for me than SmartWool. But I can vote for SmartWool too.

Doug Murdoch
Master Guide
Location: Ormstown, Quebec, about 20 miles North of the NYS border and the Adirondacks.

Post by Doug Murdoch »

Unlike many I still used liner socks before my knees and balance gave out. My favourites were Ultimax or Wigwam liners with Smartwool.
'Study to be quiet'.

rasnickr
Guide

Post by rasnickr »

If you can find military wool socks they are excellent and inexpensive if you have a friend with military connections. People tend to charge way too much if they are found at Army surplus. Usually around 3.50 a pair.
I have walked and ran many a mile and still use mine after retiring. I was an Armor Officer so I didn't walk near like the grunts.
rick

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Specific walking socks have beefed up toes for that crucial padding -- the toes take a beating on hikes (as you know), and will only add two more thoughts

-- boots with toe room are heaven, the opposite is hell: difference in wading boots is apparent between my Chotas and Simms; some of us have wider, or narrower feet, shorter or longer toes. We all know how a bad boot will cripple you. And as said above by Dont, takes miles before you really know.

-- surprised no one mentioned poly liners -- like baseball sanis, thin things that prevent blisters like all get out. They will wick sweat and transfer it from skin, never have blisters, wash and dry in a few hours, good for hot days or wading all day in a stream. Essential part of my booting up.

Doug Murdoch
Master Guide
Location: Ormstown, Quebec, about 20 miles North of the NYS border and the Adirondacks.

Post by Doug Murdoch »

Flykuni3. I mentionned poly liners, please see above.
'Study to be quiet'.

putemback
Guide

Post by putemback »

Marc, which Kenetrek have you found best for your wet wading? Use the same ones in winter as wet wading?
Justin

"I'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person."-Bill Murray

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Doug Murdoch wrote:Flykuni3. I mentionned poly liners, please see above.
Well ok.

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

Please consider Darn Tough socks...I spend hours a day, on my feet, outside in boots. These socks have been a game changer for me! No financial interest here, just love them.

thorsma
Sport

Post by thorsma »

Another vote for Darn Tough. An additional benefit of merino socks is that because they wick sweat from your feet they don't get nearly as smelly as socks made from other fibers

Chased
Guide

Post by Chased »

Back again to vote for Darn Tough. I have pairs that are several years old that look as good as new. No financial interest, but if I was a wealthy man I would buy the company and give them out like candy. Life changing.

j2t
Guide

Post by j2t »

Darn Tough. Haven't worn anything else in years.

Gimmeslack
Sport

Post by Gimmeslack »

Agree with most of the suggestions. I also find key is to wear clean fresh socks daily.

And in the spirit of keeping it bamboo:
Does anyone know if the Camino or any of the other european 'strolls' have opportunities for swinging a fly? We've talked about doing it and would be a hoot to take a small packable rod!

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”