Orvis Battenkill "Made in England" Large Arbor Reels

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Orvis Battenkill "Made in England" Large Arbor Reels

Post by joaniebo »

Some of my very favorite, and most used, reels are the discontinued Battenkill Large Arbor reels that Orvis previously made in England.

Quite awhile back,(maybe 15+ years ago), I learned that Orvis "Outlet Stores" might have some of "Demo" large arbor reels available at prices significantly lower priced than the then-current retail prices. I called a few of the Orvis Outlets and found one store that had the large Arbor II, III and IV reels available (with cases) for $45, $50 and $55 each, plus postage. I immediately gave my credit card info and received them a few days later, all unused and in perfect shape.

It's my understanding that "Demo reels" were made prior to the introduction of a new reel design and these reels were used for proto-testing by pro-staff, employees, guides, etc. prior to market introductions, although my "understanding" may not be correct.

When I purchased these reels, I was told that since they were "Demo" reels, there would be no warranty on them. But, I figured that at the prices I was quoted, I'd be willing to pay for any possible future repairs, if needed (no repairs have yet to be needed).

Several years ago, I decided to buy a couple extra spools for a couple of these large arbor reels and ended up paying more for the extra spools then I did for the reels. After buying the spare spools, I saw an eBay ad for a Large Arbor "I", which I bought so that I now have a full set of the Made in England Large Arbor. "I, II, III and IV" reels.

Very nice reels as far as I'm concerned and a great buy if someone likes a large arbor, not too heavy reel.

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Orvis Battenkill "Made in England" Large Arbor Reels

Post by Loogie »

How about some pics?

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Are you referring to this one ?

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Igloo lake
Sport

Post by Igloo lake »

I have a few of these reels. Bought them years ago and never a problem.

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

Brian Shaffer wrote:Are you referring to this one ?

Brian

Yep, except all of mine are black. Thanks for posting the pic....saves me from digging out my reels for a pic.

Bob

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

This exact reel has been my 8wt workhorse! If you zoom in you will see the "demo" inscription. I have literally caught over 1000 fish on this reel. I purchased it in 2003 out of a barrel in the Orvis store in Vermont, I lived in destin fl then, and needed a good salt reel.

If you are willing to part with those reels some day, please give me a call first!

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Were these all Made in England ?

EDIT : ohh.. wait.. these were all BFR reels... i forgot... (but that explains why they hold up so well)

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

I’m not sure that all of these reels / spooks were made in England as there are three-spoke and four- spoke LA reels that were sold.

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

I have several of the IV's and V's; great reels! I even still have the boxes they came in.
Gary

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

gt05254 wrote:I have several of the IV's and V's; great reels! I even still have the boxes they came in.
Gary
Me too on the reels / spools I have !

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

Brian Shaffer wrote:Were these all Made in England ?

EDIT : ohh.. wait.. these were all BFR reels... i forgot... (but that explains why they hold up so well)

Brian

I checked the reels and spare spools rthat I have and all were Made in England. Still love and fish them.

Bob

KnotAgain

Post by KnotAgain »

Hello, Sorry for bringing up such an old post, but I used the search bar rather than starting a new thread. I have an older Gold Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor III. It has three spokes, but no where on it, does it say made in England? How do I know if it was made in England or not? I did buy it from a buy in england a while ago LOL but how do I know if it's the made in england one? The reel seat doesn't say it like my smaller Size I Battenkill Large Arbor.

Skeet1969
Guide

Post by Skeet1969 »

The last of them I believe were made offshore, they also had some with different designations, like "5/6". I have one of those as well. No "Made in England" on them.
Mike B

KnotAgain

Post by KnotAgain »

Thank you or a response. This one states Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor III. it is a 3 spoke in gold, but the reel seat doesn't say made in england. I have a smaller one that does say made in engand so not sure if this one is the Made in England one or not.

flyinorvi
Sport

Post by flyinorvi »

Just adding that I also find them to be very nice reels. I purchased black “demo” models of the III and the IV from a board member here years ago. Both are marked “Made in England.” (The IV has been a nice Lake Erie steelhead reel.) I liked them so much that I picked up another III in gold from a local dealer which is also marked “Made in England.” All of mine have 3 spokes.

richarde206

Post by richarde206 »

KnotAgain wrote:
10/18/21 08:25
Hello, Sorry for bringing up such an old post, but I used the search bar rather than starting a new thread. I have an older Gold Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor III. It has three spokes, but no where on it, does it say made in England? How do I know if it was made in England or not? I did buy it from a buy in england a while ago LOL but how do I know if it's the made in england one? The reel seat doesn't say it like my smaller Size I Battenkill Large Arbor.
As someone else noted, the last production of these reels was moved from England to Asia. The reel foot on those made in England will note so, while the Asian models do not note country of production. Also, the font and the orientation of the "Orvis" brand and reel model labeling on the side of the reel changed. The England reels have decals that are 'straight', where on the Asian versions "Orvis' is slightly curved.

The initial reels were sized as 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, and 9/10. The spools had super large arbors, and many people had challenges fitting those (designated) lines onto their reels with an adequate amount of backing, and customers got upset. Orvis changed to a Roman numerical designation, such as I, II, III, IV, and V. This left it up to the customers what sized reel they needed for their lines and use. Orvis added another size, the VI, to the lineup.

Hope this helps!

Gunpowder

Post by Gunpowder »

This is helpful information. I have a size I with the vertical plastic piece behind the spoke. No made in England on the seat and the Orvis is more curved and the box says made in China. I also have a couple newer ones that say Battenkill LA Trout on the box that don’t have the piece of plastic (also made in China). For the ones labeled with the numbers, I’m guessing a 5/6 would around the same size and weight as the II but likely made in England?

Gunpowder

Post by Gunpowder »

I looked at the manual for my older size I with the plastic piece and it is for 1/2/3 and the II is for 3/4/5. So maybe the previous 5/6 is more like the III (4/5/6) which is 5.25 oz.

Gunpowder

Post by Gunpowder »

I found the answer to my question. I forgot all about a LA 3/4 made in England my dad gave me a while ago to sell for him. It’s about 3 5/8 diameter. The manual says the 3/4 is 4.5 oz and the 5/6 5 oz. So pretty light, but big diameter compared to reels today. I can see why folks had a hard time fitting the lines on them. If anyone needs a copy of the manuals for either the England or China ones, let me know.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”