Yet another fishin' hat thread...

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Yet another fishin' hat thread...

Post by prairieschooner »

I want me a new fishing hat. I love the look of a good old traditional felt hat, whether it be fedora, cowboy, safari, etc. I have a beautiful Akubra Territory and would use it; thing is, for those of us trapped in the Central Time Zone fishing days can be right up there on the thermometer, and I'm a world class sweat producer; a felt hat would just be too darn hot for me in the summer.

The "Tilly" style probably makes the most sense (lighter and cooler), but don't look as cool - I would like something with a higher crown that would take a good pinch. I need a hat maker who's combined the two I guess. I've used a straw in the summer but they only last me about a season; not around long enough to take on that "character", if you know what I mean. Just kinda musing out loud here; thoughts welcome.
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Yet another fishin' hat thread...

Post by jhuskey »

Take a look at Peter's Bros. Hats (TX) - they have a wide range of straw. Can't go wrong with a Stetson straw or their Peter's Bros. brand hats, just make sure the hat has a good quality sweatband. They are great to talk with on the phone if need be. Someday I want a hat from Rand's in Billings, MT, but need to save up some mulah first. :D

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Just today bought another fishing/sun hat off amazon. A duplicate of the one I used last year - "Jormatt Unisex UV Protection Outdoor Sun Hat UPF 50+ with Flap Neck Cover Foldable Fishing Safari Cap". For 13.99 you won't go wrong. Throw it in the trunk, fishing bag, back seat and put on when the sun is high. I do so much brush busting and putting on sun screen and bug repellant, I don't want an expensive hat. Felt is fine in cool weather, but not very functional in high heat/humidity.

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

"Jormatt Unisex UV Protection Outdoor Sun Hat UPF 50+ with Flap Neck Cover Foldable Fishing Safari Cap"

Yeah, thanks. I've got a half-dozen or so variations of that hat/cap...just kinda looking for "the one", ya know?
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

levertonhatches
Master Guide

Post by levertonhatches »

Might as well have the best: Filson brimmed waxed. The one in my avatar I've been fishing and shooting in for more than 30 years, in all weathers.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Did you ever try one of those OR Outdoor Research hats ?
https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/m ... 5050916008

The 'high crown' part you wanted is eliminated by this model though... and zero pinch point that I can see.
And for the record, I have never worn one and have no idea if they are the bees knees or not. I just always wanted one...
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

You either like cane fly rods - or you don't.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Straw for summer.......

Jay Edwards

addicted to vise
Master Guide

Post by addicted to vise »

look at Akubra
I have these two
https://akubra.com.au/collections/count ... dy-santone

https://akubra.com.au/collections/lifes ... eller-bran

You can buy them, shipped from australia, for cheaper than you can buy them in the USA - Ask me how i know :D

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

John: Thanks; neat sites!

Lever: can't wear the waxed Filson stuff; doesn't breath well enough and I sweat like a pig in it. I had Filson Tin Cloth cap that I wore 2-3 miserable times before I jettisoned it. Plus I'm looking for a wider brim.

Brian: I have one of those Seattle Sombreros; great hat. Just wish it had the high pinch crown.

Jay: Yeah, but...

Vise: I love the Akubras; GREAT hats, but just too durned hot in the summer. You're right about where to order them though.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

That dang Peter's Bros. site is still not populated with all their stuff, I guess it is called "under construction" - they DO have some really nice hats though.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

prairieschooner,

I have an Akubra Territory also and four other felt Akubras and live in the humid southeast. When it's hot down here I wear one of my hemp hats by Akubra. One is the Range hat and the other is a Planter's hat.

The range hat is great for fishing and is cool in the summer and provides a lot of protection and since it's made of hemp it's darn near indestructible and I can dunk it in water to cool the head off with no ill effect to the hat. It's taken on some nice character after 6 or 7 years. I wear the Planter hat when I play golf. The planter's hat is on sale now at davidmorgan.com. The hemp hats are really high quality too with a leather inner band.

And, like the felt hats you can steam these over a tea kettle and re-shape to your liking. The other thing I like about the hemp hats is they are a lot more flexible than the felt or straw hats and bend with the wind...read, they don't fly off the head so easily in a breeze on the river.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

In the mid 90's I used to help manage a giftshop when I moved to Branson.. we sold
Henschel Hats. I was always impressed with their quality.

http://www.henschelhats.com/new/springsummer-2/

This place was an Aussie giftshop and we had those oil cloth duster coats. I do remember these...
(and many of our hats snapped up - on one side, the same side - so 3 could ride in a truck!)

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

You either like cane fly rods - or you don't.

toothybugs
Master Guide

Post by toothybugs »

Barmah.

- NJG
(It's Nate, but I generally only sign my initials.)

Got loopage?
http://plumbrookrods.wordpress.com

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

I dunno guys............This is the only hat one needs. :)

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

:lol Or not

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Love my ballcaps...sunburned ears, not so much!

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi GUys, I'm thinking maybe..............https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_hat

Of course, one would need a purple hat band and possibly tan shoes with pink shoe laces....

Jay Edwards

addicted to vise
Master Guide

Post by addicted to vise »

bluesjay wrote:Hi GUys, I'm thinking maybe..............https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_hat

Of course, one would need a purple hat band and possibly tan shoes with pink shoe laces....

Jay Edwards
I have two panamas I bought in Ecuador - nice for the summer for sure!

truchaspike
Sport

Post by truchaspike »

Prairieschooner,

You need several more hats. You’re not gonna find everything you want in just one lid.

Some suggestions: Stetson Stratoliner or Open Road and a couple cheap Walmart straws.

Yea, Peters Bros! The coolest hat shop on earth. It’s national treasure. They could use some air conditioning, though.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

bluesjay wrote:Hi GUys, I'm thinking maybe..............https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_hat

Jay Edwards
My my my, whatever do you mean Jay?

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”