Any Raptor Lovers?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Long Sticks

Re: Any Raptor Lovers?

Post by Long Sticks »

Man...and here I was totally convinced prior to opening the message posts that this thread was going to be about the Toronto Raptors that just made it to the NBA finals...

magpie
Guide

Post by magpie »

I was very sorry they beat the Bucks.

Long Sticks

Post by Long Sticks »

magpie wrote:I was very sorry they beat the Bucks.
Yes... I understand where you are coming from... I think just about everyone who follows the NBA thought it was a foregone conclusion that the Bucks would win. Amongst several factors, I think the "Greek Freak" was just not ready for a certain level of defensive onslaught coming his way. But he is young and will learn...

Vintagestick
Master Guide

Post by Vintagestick »

I found a secondary flight feather in my yard for my friendly Great Horned Owl mentioned in an earlier post.

I was able to positively ID the feather using a great website courtesy of US Fish & Wildlife Service.

Check it out -

https://www.fws.gov/lab/featheratlas/fe ... ndary_dark

-Rich

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Yep, I've got a couple of those also, plus a half dozen molted from this years' young'ns. Pretty sure the Feds would arrest me for having them, but I could be wrong.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

jhuskey wrote:Yep, I've got a couple of those also, plus a half dozen molted from this years' young'ns. Pretty sure the Feds would arrest me for having them, but I could be wrong.
"a few gray federales say 'we could have had him any day, we only let him go so long, out of kindness, i suppose'.".

stay safe,

jim w

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

:rollin yep, and I'll try.

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Post by Boise Bamboo »

We have a pair of Great Horned Owls that nest in the "front yard" at work every spring and are pretty tolerant of being photographed... The had three owlets this year which are just about ready to abandon the nest and take flight.
ImageOwlet_1 by dvconner, on Flickr
ImageGreat Horned Owl by dvconner, on Flickr

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

Just saw the best eagle photo. I can't get a link to it but search "Steve Biro eagle photo". It's a great photo.
Vern

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Boise Bamboo wrote:We have a pair of Great Horned Owls that nest in the "front yard" at work every spring and are pretty tolerant of being photographed... The had three owlets this year which are just about ready to abandon the nest and take flight.
ImageOwlet_1 by dvconner, on Flickr
ImageGreat Horned Owl by dvconner, on Flickr
Awesome owl photos!

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

The neighborhood Great Horned Owls went on the nest, on my birthday in late January.
Same as the last 5 years, 2 owlets.
Rabbit is on the lunch menu today
Branchers as of this past weekend

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

We have watched the great horned young of the year twins in our yard with great attention for the last several weeks. From Fuzz balls to flight school to "fix your own dinner" stage. Recently chipmunks and voles and mice have been the entree from what we can tell. Fascinating creatures. They actually are more like floppers than fliers, but are getting better at it

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Wonderful Bee!

I am disturbing her afternoon nap....... ;D

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, We had an Eagles nest nest out our front window for several years. I own a Celestron C8 which I set up and got a lot of crummy to fair pictures of eagles/eaglets. Careful:

https://apnews.com/a732c580485b58e2dc581996efb9d1c2

Jay Edwards

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

While hiking in the backwoods this afternoon to check out one of our many brook trout ponds.

John

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Love the Osprey photos John! I followed two of them up a spring creek yesterday. Lets just say nothing was rising. I only spooked two fish the whole outing and those were hiding under the banks.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Great photos of nesting Osprey John!

tunafart
Master Guide

Post by tunafart »

bamboo wrote:This pair at the Florida house, always next to the pool in the palms. pretty small birds.

bamboo....mike
Hi Mike -
This is a pair of Eastern Screech Owls
of the 'gray' color morph. Good pic.
paul

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Well, a new neighborhood record - this owlet (bolder/flappier of the two) is now 90 yards away from the nest tree, perched in one of our 100 foot tall white oaks. This about a week after walking out of the nest and up the branches of their maple tree home. Her/his sister/brother is still perched high in the maple tree. At first, when I saw only one in the nest tree, I was afraid something had happened to one of them, and well it did. Fledgling for one of the two. Last year it took three weeks.

Edit - next day, the other young owl has flown into a maple next to the nest maple, about 50-60 feet. Growing up fast.
Last edited by jhuskey on 04/23/20 11:51, edited 1 time in total.

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

There is a wonderful raptor article in the Jan Feb issue of Montana Outdoors magazine ( the annual Photo Edition). I tried to link it but cannot get link for some reason from the magazine website.

The article is quite comprehensive for a relatively short piece. Highly recommend it if you can find it. My favorite observation from the author is his description of listening to "experts" argue for hours about what hawk species they were observing. Made me feel a little better , as I ve had this type "discussion" myself with some "experts".

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”