"Historic" Thread

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

czkid
Administrator

"Historic" Thread

Post by czkid »

For all you folks bemoaning the loss of the "Annals of Fly Fishing" why not start a string of "Historic" inputs here in Ephemera? One of the former members of that forum sent me a list of queries and requests, one of which was a sub-topic similar to "Annals...". So here's an opportunity, add to this string... and if there's enough interest and folks behave then just maybe we can add a topic area. Fair Enough??

See "Collecting.." for a similar opportunity re. "Foreign Rods..."

Ralph Shuey

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: "Historic" Thread

Post by crowebeetle »

I think both would contribute to the discussions of bamboo fly rod history and rods from other countries should evoke some interesting information.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

That works! How is it done? Who can add this to the forum list?

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

Just add on here temporarily.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

I hope this thread can at least be "pinned" so it's accessible for periodic contributions over time.

In my view it would cover historic (pre-WWII) persons, places and things (tackle).

Just my 2 cents...

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

A single thread is not conducive to posting historical items like annals was.

It's the same problem that facebook has, it's single threaded so items are quickly lost and muddled together.

We should just post historical items in "Banjo's place" and occupy that space

Barney
Sport

Post by Barney »

I've been very hesitant to answer this....
A few years ago, while posting under a different name, I was taken to
task for suggesting a couple of topic changes. For example we have
three topics on rod building, and one on recipes. Seems like some it's
not too much to ask for a "Historic" thread, and combining the rod
building/restoration threads.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

any interest in a list of the GTRS after its phase V expansion is done??

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Definitely.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Gnome wrote:any interest in a list of the GTRS after its phase V expansion is done??
I'm sure there's plenty of interest by some members. But, personally, if you were to print an illustrated catalog of the GTRS, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. More than 99% of members here will never be able to see it in person. Just seeing a "list" of what's in it is a little underwhelming for me. That's me, though.
Mark

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

OK how about a high def video to go along with the technical manual/catalog (full color) the tech manual has 34 rods done and includes full-color photos along with a cd that contains the rod maps in PDF. Only 140+ to go, mapping them is a time-eating monster. this will be a look at the rod in a way that has never been done before and the first section will focus heavily on the 2 schools of rod making circa 1800. English and American. ANd how the two interacted and influenced each other in the 1800-1880 time period.

I work on this as I am doing the phase V expansion and the two together is a tough task for one gnome.

And Mark I bet more than 1% of the membership have seen it at some point, it has visited the New York, New Jersey area 2 times in the last 7 years and that does not include its travels out west and down to the south. It has also spent almost two years installed in accredited museums like the Idaho State Museum and the Museum of western history in Craig Colorado and I know members of the forum saw it in Craig. I have a rough estimate of the number of people that have seen it since I started packing it around in 2002, and that number is somewhere between 500,000 and 1.25 million in that time frame, I have been packing it around for my fellow anglers to enjoy for a long time ;)

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Just a thought Jeff but you might consider releasing the rod maps CD once you get to say 45 rods which sounds like it might be 1/4 of the way through - then release another at the halfway point, etc. I know I would collect them and look forward to ultimately having a four CD set of the GTRS rod maps - could then eventually once all done, do a separate tomb of all together. Might help finance it a little - again just a thought.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Rob and Mark,

Thanks and I do look forward to sharing this one as it is a unique look at the history of the rod and done in a way that should help us understand where and how the rods have evolved and also maybe understand the search for the "Right Rod", it is a fun wander down the banks of time stick in hand!! And the HD portion is narrated by me with each rod shot in extreme close up as well as wider views, with each rod getting between 10 and 20 minutes. This is an extreme take on our favorite sporting tool over a very long stretch. I am looking forward to getting this one a little farther along so I can share the first portion with my fellow rod makers and collectors and enthusiast!! I am geeking out on this one on a level that Darrel Martin would be proud of, I think ;-)

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Jeff, I'm interested of course. Video would be great but so would stills. Stills allow a slow historic geek like me study the detail better than video. Just my 2 cents.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Royce,

imagine extreme close-ups that you can pause the video and study on a really big screen, I have been playing with this for a year plus and the HD allows you to look at stills in a whole new way, The video also contains my dialogue on each rod and the history/provenance behind it. So far I am really happy with where it is going and having played with the video it is amazing to see the up-close details provided by HD. A whole new way to study rods.

Jeff

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Were this anything like The Annals, it would be lit up with World Series banter related to the next placement of the BHBBTMTP and squire. Along with fun stuff like "find the barred owl on the stone wall challenge" among others. Interspersed with some interesting posts re: back in the day. Close but no cigar!

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

yep figured something like this would follow my post here, and this is why I do not share here anymore.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

My post has nothing to do with you sir. I am always interested in ur efforts and do not troll u anymore however, I suspect you do that on ur own to generate interest in I'm not sure what. U are clearly an artisian who needs to loose the chip on his shoulder and be artistic rather than combative. Ado to u sir!

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

steeliefool wrote:Were this anything like The Annals, it would be lit up with World Series banter related to the next placement of the BHBBTMTP and squire. Along with fun stuff like "find the barred owl on the stone wall challenge" among others. Interspersed with some interesting posts re: back in the day. Close but no cigar!
Yeah, plunking down a thread for "historic" posts ain't quite the same thing, is it?
Oh well, we'll always have the memories (both from there and from here...)

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Indeed!

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”