The Lyon & Coulson Co.

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

RyanAK
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: The Lyon & Coulson Co.

Post by RyanAK »

8’6” 2F Regent dated 1943. “Alma’s Best Rod” on the bag, “Ada’s Bamboo Fly Rod” on the tube. Such a handsome Heddon and of very fine quality.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Here is a small Lyon & Coulson fly case that I picked up a few months back. The humpys I just purchased today.

Mike N
Master Guide

Post by Mike N »

That’s a beautiful L&C fly wallet. Here are some of Lyon&Coulson’s “matched wing wet flies.”

(Click on image to enlarge)

Mike N.
Founder, Old Reel Collectors Association (ORCA)
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Mike, do you know why the L&C logo is red on two and brown on the other two? Perhaps retail vs wholesale?

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

Mike N
Master Guide

Post by Mike N »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
02/01/21 05:44
Mike, do you know why the L&C logo is red on two and brown on the other two? Perhaps retail vs wholesale?
Like most variations in vintage retail tackle shop fly envelopes, I assume it was a design update in packaging. I am unsure of the dating, however.

Mike N.
Mike N.
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

And the "Buffalo, N.Y." appears above the red logo but below the brown/faded black logo.

Mike N
Master Guide

Post by Mike N »

cwfly wrote:
02/01/21 19:48
And the "Buffalo, N.Y." appears above the red logo but below the brown/faded black logo.
If you are able to copy my thumbnail photo above and post it here larger*, pls feel free to do so; the fly colors and packaging are pretty neat. I believe I have a few more I’ll look for in my collection

(*my iPad let’s me post full-sized photos on ORCA’s site, but I’m stymied here and can only post the thumbnail photos for some reason.)

Thanks

Mike N
Mike N.
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

mrriver
Sport

Post by mrriver »

To make a tapered fly line the braiding machines had to be manually stopped and thread added or subtracted as the line was produced. In the early 1950's when the Cortland 333 was introduced, probably the best line of the era, it took eight hours to make one line. Information from America's Fly Lines by Victor Johnson, 2003.

Whitefish Press
Owner

Post by Whitefish Press »

While researching my book on the history of fly leaders (The End of the Line) I discovered that L&C actually opened up a bamboo fly rod factory in 1947. Talk about bad timing; probably why they went into receivership in 1949 with the assets sold at auction in 1950. Sad story actually. For a company founded in the TEETH of the Depression in 1932 with two employees, they really prospered and became the first national outlet for nylon leaders in 1938, had a TON of war work, and then got killed off by a fiberglass arrow they never saw coming.

-- Dr. Todd

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

From my neck of the woods…and out of business nearly 20 years before I was Born. An early catalog shop before Orvis, LL Bean and others were successful at it due to their willingness to expand beyond sport!

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Hatch, really nice stuff. Giving me Lyon & Coulson envy. One of these days I'll locate another couple of their leather "D" reel cases, I love those.

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Post by Woodlakejag »

Whitefish Press wrote:
09/17/22 20:03
While researching my book on the history of fly leaders (The End of the Line) I discovered that L&C actually opened up a bamboo fly rod factory in 1947. Talk about bad timing; probably why they went into receivership in 1949 with the assets sold at auction in 1950. Sad story actually. For a company founded in the TEETH of the Depression in 1932 with two employees, they really prospered and became the first national outlet for nylon leaders in 1938, had a TON of war work, and then got killed off by a fiberglass arrow they never saw coming.

-- Dr. Todd
Very interesting, and I’ve suspected this. There are the occasional L&Cs that show up and the ferrules don’t match any known Heddon ferrules and the otherwise identical “Heddon” reel seat doesn’t have a patent number.
i think when the Heddon patent date was up, L&C jumped in and started making their own.
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Yes. This answers a lot of questions about those spinning rods that were previously attributed to Heddon. I was one of those.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

I have an interesting 7 1/2' L&C Captain, only interesting that I sold it many years ago. Though a lower-end stick in the line it was a very fine casting rod, and I fished it a lot. Sold it when I began a long-term ugrade of everything I fish with. But I always had a soft spot for the Heddon Lightweights, and I'd buy a rod here and there and then sell them off. Then on the last one -- don't now recall if it was listed here or on the 'Net -- the pictures looked very familiar. When it arrived I looked closely at rod, bag and tube, son of a gun, it was the L&C I had sold years back. It sits right next to the high-end rods in the quiver.

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Post by Woodlakejag »

Flykuni3 wrote:
09/26/22 22:41
I have an interesting 7 1/2' L&C Captain, only interesting that I sold it many years ago. Though a lower-end stick in the line it was a very fine casting rod, and I fished it a lot. Sold it when I began a long-term ugrade of everything I fish with. But I always had a soft spot for the Heddon Lightweights, and I'd buy a rod here and there and then sell them off. Then on the last one -- don't now recall if it was listed here or on the 'Net -- the pictures looked very familiar. When it arrived I looked closely at rod, bag and tube, son of a gun, it was the L&C I had sold years back. It sits right next to the high-end rods in the quiver.
That was me who purchased the rod from you then sold it back several years later. Great rod. Maybe I’ll buy it back again someday!
George
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Ahahaha! I'm back in the saddle again....

nephelim

Post by nephelim »

I know this is a pretty old thread, but... I'm on the hunt for a Lyon & Coulson or LV&A case like the ones in this thread. If anyone has any leads or one they would part with, please let me know.

Thanks!

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”