Perks of getting old and decrepit

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

spruce grouse
Bamboo Fanatic

Perks of getting old and decrepit

Post by spruce grouse »

I went to get my 2020 fishing license today and was told it was my lucky day. I now qualify for a consolidated senior license - Saltwater, Freshwater and Trout Stamp for a whopping $5. Can’t afford not to fish.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Perks of getting old and decrepit

Post by bassman »

OK doesn't have any saltwater but they do have a senior full coverage hunting and fishing license covering you from 65 'til the end. It went to $25 the year I qualified so yours is the better deal but doesn't include your hunting license though.

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

New Mexico becomes free after... what age? I can't remember. I just know they don't charge anymore. Seems like a good deal. Now if I could just remember where I put all my fishing gear.

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Senior Citizen Hunting and Fishing License. It is not necessary for Florida senior residents to purchase a hunting and/or fishing license. Residents 65 years of age or older may possess either a Resident Senior Citizen Hunting and Fishing Certificate or proof of age and residency (A driver license is sufficient).

redietz
Master Guide

Post by redietz »

spruce grouse wrote:I went to get my 2020 fishing license today and was told it was my lucky day. I now qualify for a consolidated senior license - Saltwater, Freshwater and Trout Stamp for a whopping $5. Can’t afford not to fish.
That was the most pleasant surprise I got on turning 65.

I just wish I could get a similar discount in surrounding states.

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

Combo hunting/fishing license used to be free here when you turned 65; they started charging the year I turned >: . I think it was $40; still better than the $27.50 each per year I was paying. If you make it to 74 you no longer have to have a license.
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

They must have lowered the age limit for you Howard...if you are old, that makes me old too :)

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

Wow Howard, not bad. Congrads, I think?

I think it is Maryland that charges a non resident what his state charges a Maryland resident for a non resident license. I always liked that system.

bobk
Master Guide

Post by bobk »

NJ State residents 70 and older (unfortunately I qualify) are exempt from fishing license and Trout Stamp requirements. A driver license or other acceptable proof of age containing date of birth and physical description will function as the actual fishing license/trout stamp for New Jersey residents 70 and over.
We have a salt water registry that needs to be filed but there is no cost,,,,, yet.

Unfortunately, except for those in the northern counties trout streams are basically non existent from Rt 287 south so its mostly pond fishing or the surf and bays.

Capt. Frank
Master Guide

Post by Capt. Frank »

In Delaware, fishing (required for fresh and salt) and hunting licenses, trout stamps, are free to all 65, or older.

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

Cimarron, New Mexico Licenses are free when you turn 70. I've had a free license for the last three years, and they give you every thing, stamps and all!

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

Any resident over 65 is exempt from buying a license here in Missouri,but you still need a trout tag to keep fish and to fish in certain areas. But as non resident in Arkansas, my wallet feels a good hit every year for that out of state license. I shudder to think how much money I have spent for out of state fishing in Arkansas over the last 55 or so years....they should name something after me in my honor.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

NH is $7.00 for senior freshwater doesn't ever go to 0. But they also have a lifetime licenses, which are getting tempting. If I had gotten one this year I'd have to live another 12 to break even.

JohnDe
Sport

Post by JohnDe »

Massachusetts is free for the freshwater license at 70. The $5.00 wildlife stamp is waived as well. The saltwater license that would normally be $10 gets a processing fee of something like 1.87. They might waive the fee if you catch fish & game at one of the shows. Now to top that off a town resident shellfish permit costs me $15 though I can’t eat as many clams as I once could. Oh, maybe I should have said the shellfish permit cost me fifteen clams... I’m not as quick as I used to be either.

flyrodman
Master Guide

Post by flyrodman »

It was 2003 when I received my over age 68 free NH Permanent License- Residents Only. Included Hunting/Fishing, Archery, Muzzleloader, Clam/Oyster/Clam Worms. Does not include stamps, Pheasant, Turkey or Federal.
Spruce Grouse, I'm not getting old, "I am old"

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Hmmm, seems I live in the wrong danged state!

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

Perks, we don't need no stinkin' perks! Just a little less arthritis, pains and to wake up each morning breathin'!

gofish60
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gofish60 »

Gubster
Jeremy
Me too. At 83, Wisconsin still gets $7.00 for a fishing license and $10 more for a trout stamp.
The greedy bastards will be sad when I quit (or die)
gofish

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”