Anyone like bamboo spinning rods?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Anyone like bamboo spinning rods?

Post by wb4tjh »

I have a like new, 7 foot Russ Peak bamboo spinning rod that I am anxious to put to use. It should be just fine for 6 pound line or so and 1/4 ounce or lighter lures. Any one regularly use a bamboo spinning or casting rod and what are your thoughts on them?

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Re: Anyone like bamboo spinning rods?

Post by ozarkwater »

I have used cane spinning rods for years.

Currently I have a Walton Powell spinning rod that Jim Clarkson put a lighter tip to by replacing the heavier tip.

A Belmont era casting rod [ oh what sweetness ]. And yes...I do cast plugs. Nothing like a large mouth or a smallie busting a homemade wooden plug out of the water as he launches himself in the air.

A Eugene Powell spinning rod 4 - 6 lb test.

Two Uslan spinning rods. Pentas. 4 - 6 lb. and a 6 - 8 lb test rod.

Apologies tendered to the forum, but here in MO with rivers like the Gasconade [Nor Fork, Niangua, Current, Maramec, Piney, Eleven Point as well] and her tributaries the float river small mouths are just too precious to pass up. Stretches can be waded as well.

And in certain sections where water conditions are appropriate - Bows and Browns hang out in deeper pools and rifles and can get to be 5lbs plus.

And of course! All reels [ each rod has at least one reel in its stable ] are vintage appropriate to the rod.

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldschoolcane »

Why offer apologies, I have several bamboo casting and spinning rods that offer great classic fishing wherever I choose to use them. Whether floating a south Missouri river or somewhere else, topwater lures for bass with an antique casting rod is entirely appropriate.

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

As much as I love flyfishing, there are times when fish are deep and I hate using full sinking fly lines in deep water. This is where spinning and casting rods can come in. I'll even confess to drowning a few minnows and crickets in my time. I've fished bamboo fly rods for at least 40 years now, and love them for their feel, as well as being a connection to another era. I think we may be short changing ourselves by not giving bamboo spin and casting rods a role in today's fishing. And if you really want to connect with your great grandfather, fish them from an all wooden boat. It's a good way to step back to when things were a bit simpler. There is a growing group of golfers who play with century old style clubs with real hickory shafts. They hold hickory golf tournaments and even dress in period clothes. Golf is a 400 year old sport with a rich history. Fishing goes back even further, and also shares a rich history. Why limit yourself to just today when you can have a time machine in your hands? I feel it every time I unscrew the top on one of my rod cases and see that beautiful bamboo shaft slide out; and it doesn't have to be limited to just fly rods.
Last edited by wb4tjh on 01/10/20 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

I have and fish with 2 UL spin rods, one with 4#, one with 6#, both with Mitchell 308 & 408, and a medium light spin rod I rewrapped with single foot guides and is now really sweet with 8#. I also have a 6'6" Montague medium heavy spin rod never been fished paired with a poorly functioning Hardy spin reel for display. I have a South Bend and a Phillipson bait casting rods I sometimes fish with a Pflueger Supreme or a Shakespeare President. I also have some great fiberglass rods from the past including fly, cast and spin Wonderods and Fenwicks. Lots of antique reels from Pflueger, Luxor, Bache Brown, and others.

As I read the above I begin to think with time and ability to fish greatly diminished I should really set up with ebay to begin to thin the herd and let someone collect dust collectors for awhile.

ozarkwater
Master Guide

Post by ozarkwater »

wb4tjh wrote:As much as I love flyfishing, there are times when fish are deep and I hate using full sinking fly lines in deep water. This is where spinning and casting rods can come in. I'll even confess to drowning a few minnows and crickets in my time. I've fished bamboo fly rods for at least 40 years now, and love them for their feel, as well as being a connection to another era. I think we may be short changing ourselves by not giving bamboo spin and casting rods a role in today's fishing. And if you really want to connect with your great grandfather, fish them from an all wooden boat. It's a good way to step back to when things were a bit simpler. There is a growing group of golfers who play with century old style clubs with real hickory shafts. They hold hickory golf tournaments and even dress in period clothes. Golf is a 400 year old sport with a rich history. Fishing goes back even further, and also shares a rich history. Why limit yourself to just today when you can have a time machine in your hands? I feel it every time I unscrew the top on one of my rod cases and see that beautiful bamboo shaft slide out; and it doesn't have to be limited to just fly rods.
This struck a chord. I still recall seeing my first home made Ozark flat bottom fishing boat. Some older gentleman standing up with a pole in the river. They had a motor on the back, but it was probably less than 25 horsepower! Of course he had a hat on, not a ball cap either! Stripped "rail road" style overalls on and a long sleeve shirt! While two younger probably early teen aged boys were with him. They were across the river, cannot recall which one as I was probably less than 8 years old myself. Of course it was one of the clear water ones. [ in a bow to modern tech, shoulda had my smart phone on me then to take a pic eh? ]

Dad did some guide work for the MO Dept of Conservation when the Dept was establishing some of the river ways along with some environmental impact studies. Niangua River Darter and the Hellbender were some. So, he got around and knew people and places.

Anyway, every once in a while I haul my Walton Powell Belmont era casting rod out and just appreciate it.

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

Old time, river float fishing boats developed in Arkansas and Missouri can be seen on You Tube. These wooden, flat bottom boats were about 20 feet long and kind of narrow with a small outboard on the rear. Many docks still rent these types of boats today, but made of more modern materials. What served so well 75 to 100 years ago still lives on today in a similar design. These days, you see a lot of the pram-type drift boats on these waters. They were developed to handle the heavier water often found in western rivers and work well in calmer water also. But the old time, flat bottom Jon boats were designed for the slower, gravel bottom rivers we have in Arkansas and Missouri. Both are a good choice, but most flyfishing guides seem to prefer the oar powered drift boats.

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

Spinning rods, 'threadline rods', ultralight rods - all of them. I prefer fly fishing, but I do a fair amount of lure fishing and UL bait fishing for 'coarse fish' also. Since I have been building bamboo, i've been trying to come up with bamboo rod for all these types of fishing.

saltydancindave
Guide

Post by saltydancindave »

Bamboo spinning rods come in handy when winds are blowing too hard for fly casting to be more like a bad day at work fishing for smallmouth or when waters are running high. A 6 1/2' Orvis bamboo with an Orvis #50 & a couple Orvis #100 reels to pair with one of each Edwards brothers bamboo spinning rods with one a quadrate have fulfilled fishing days.

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldschoolcane »

Wb4tjh, yes a much simpler time before the dams were put in place. Most people have no idea what the Ozarks looked like before the big lakes were created? The rivers that they covered up with lake water must have been really special.

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

True, but not all is lost because those lakes only cover a few miles of old river bed. Go a few miles upstream of those lakes or downstream from those dams and little has changed. Above Norfork Lake, the river is just as wild as ever. This is true above just about all of those lakes. Don't forget the almost 5 miles below Norfork Dam, and the 90 miles of amazing river scenery and fishing below Bull Shoals Dam. There are still plenty of streams here that are undammed and run wild. The White River/Norfork River system is world famous for the incredible trout fishery it now has. The Little Missouri River both above and below Lake Greeson is another example of what I am talking about. So while some free flowing river mileage has been lost, look what has been gained from a fishing standpoint. And no, I have not forgotten the lake recreation available now and the power generation and flood control that came about.

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

Yea, I like 'em! 4'-6" & 4'-9" 1 pc. XUL . Recently went back to the method that started it all for me 50+ years ago. Fly Fishing is number 1 but Extra Ultra Light spinning is a fairly close second.

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldschoolcane »

wb4tjh wrote:True, but not all is lost because those lakes only cover a few miles of old river bed. Go a few miles upstream of those lakes or downstream from those dams and little has changed. Above Norfork Lake, the river is just as wild as ever. This is true above just about all of those lakes. Don't forget the almost 5 miles below Norfork Dam, and the 90 miles of amazing river scenery and fishing below Bull Shoals Dam. There are still plenty of streams here that are undammed and run wild. The White River/Norfork River system is world famous for the incredible trout fishery it now has. The Little Missouri River both above and below Lake Greeson is another example of what I am talking about. So while some free flowing river mileage has been lost, look what has been gained from a fishing standpoint. And no, I have not forgotten the lake recreation available now and the power generation and flood control that came about.
Oh, I am quite familiar with the tailwaters and all that has been provided by the dams. At least Missouri and Arkansas has larger trout water now.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”