Waders Question

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Re: Waders Question

Post by DaveNJ »

I had a pair of Simms G3s for about 5 years. I sent them to Simms and for $60 (I believe) they patched them thoroughly and replaced the feet and guards, got 2 more years out of them and now they're my local waders for days on smaller creeks. Best part, they only had my waders for about a month.

I'd imagine Patagonia would have a similar warranty program, but Simms has me as a customer for life.

Also, a correct fit will make the worst waders great and vice versa.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

How much you spend should directly relate to how much time you will be spending in them.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Brian Shaffer wrote:How much you spend should directly relate to how much time you will be spending in them.
I'm going to mostly agree with this, because at least for me the cost benefit curve is exponential. Basically up to a point, more cost gives you more benefit, but there is an inflection point where it all levels off and you can start to spend a lot of cost for little to no increase in benefit.

That said, evolution. Often last year or 2 years ago top of the line tech is down a level or two so you get it for less.

But: it's your money, your choice so I have no problem with anyone spending their own money. This is coming from a person that has gotten his second pair of Simms in 20 yrs to the point of replacing next year (yes, about 10 yrs use from each pair before duct tape doesn't work anymore).

Thanks for the folks talking about Dryft: I've not heard of them before, they look like a good value for their price point.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Evolution of the wader has been stagnant lately... the zipper was a flop. by the masses

Stick with the major players... they know what they are doing... and will be around when something happens.... as was pointed out with Simms.

I did the same thing - twice... $60 for new feet each time.
5 real years and over 1000 days on the water... that is progress in the wader building industry - compared to 70’s waders.

Wait - that is evolution I guess.
Brian
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”