Waders Question

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

DinoC
Guide

Waders Question

Post by DinoC »

I would like to look into a good quality wader, but not necessarily break the bank.
I've heard that Simms and Patagonia are up there in quality, but that is as far as it gets with me. I would use it in the Swift river in MA as an example.
Any comments and recommendations from you are welcome, as in quality, wearability, keeping your legs warm, etc.
Thank you.
DinoC

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Waders Question

Post by RMorrison »

I keep my legs warm with long underwear if conditions dictate. I’ve had great results from both those companies but they can be spendy. I’ve also had some good sets of waders from both Cabelas and Dan Bailey on the more budget conscious side of things.

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

I have used both Simms and Patagonia (last 2 years) and have had very good results with both. The Patagonia waders fit better than the Simms, other than that just great waders.
The only wader I know for keeping the legs warm is the neoprene type which I wore for Steelhead fishing. I did not like them and now just layer up with long underwear and heavy pants if needed.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

I did not like them and now just layer up with long underwear and heavy pants if needed.
Add in a pair of good wool socks. I tend to use layers that retain heat when wet, just in case....

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Thus far I've used Simms, Cabelas and Orvis waders - all breathable, chest-waders. I liked all of them, for different reasons. Simms tend to fit on the small size in the body, tight in the ankles and long in the booties. I was well satisfied with durability. The Cabelas waders fit well, roomy in the torso and decent durability. No complaints there. The Orvis waders fit well and lasted well. I have had multiple waders by all of them. All three had great service, if needed. Price ranged from Simms on the higher end ($300+), Orvis and then Cabelas ($175+). Also, all required layers if fishing in late fall/winter.

Now, FYI I tend to prefer wet-wading anytime the water in above 50 degrees, so basically, May through October, if the water is above 50 I don't use them at all. I'd rather be soaked by clear, cold mountain water than sweat. I also prefer smaller, back country water so I do not "baby" my waders when I wear them. So, I can't complain with durability with any of them. When barbed wire or sharp rocks come into contact with waders, bad things happen.

Pat

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

I go with fit first then durability. I had Simms and they did not fit either in length or girth, They were too long and too tight. I have been using Reddington for the past three years and they fit me. I also had Orvis and they fit well, I used them for about four years and I have them for a back up now. The prices I prefer to buy are in the $300.00 range.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

I'm 6'2" and around 225 lbs and an older pair of Orvis waders fit me the best. Like the Pastor above, I fish mostly wild country when I do fish and also wet-wade most of the time. Waders are relegated to cold climate fishing and tailwater fishing.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

I've been using Simms chest highs (stockingfoot) for a while, serve me well in mostly southern NH waters from late march to november. They also work in NJ surf.
I've not gotten cold in them (but I'm good in cold), but lightweight thermal bottoms work nicely. Make sure you don't use real thick socks or circulation gets cut off and feet get cold and then the rest gets cold. Neoprene stockingfeet are pretty warm, so thin wool or silk is nice underneath.
Biggest issue for me is always sweating/condensation inside the waders. That is what chills you quickly.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

When wading in cold weather, you should dress for the possibility of falling in/taking a dunking. That includes your upper body.

ctwhite
Guide

Post by ctwhite »

You can spend a small fortune with Simms... but it isn't necessary. I've worn a pair of Simms Freestones ($300) for the last five years. That's five years of both backcountry and saltwater fishing in Maine. The waders look and smell like death but they've never leaked.

photoguy
Sport

Post by photoguy »

One thing you might consider, and it does affect the cost, is a zipper front. Makes getting in and out much easier and especially for those times when nature calls ;)
Patagonia/Simms and Reddington offer one. LL Bean did, not sure if they still do.

Bud
Master Guide

Post by Bud »

Take a look at Dryft

cutthroatkid
Guide

Post by cutthroatkid »

Whether 'tis better to get an expensive wader hoping it will last longer, or less expensive waders knowing they will need to be replaced sooner, that is the question.

I fish mainly backcountry streams lined with wild roses and some Russian thistle, alder tangles with beaver-made pungie sticks, etc. I do not use the expensive stuff as a result since leaks seemed to occur fairly frequently in any wader I had after a while - most are not designed for this kind of abuse, expensive or not. My experience is that if I patch a wader, pretty soon it develops a second leak. After three or four patches I replace them. That's just my own experience. I have friends who fish from drift boats or on rivers like the Missouri who get several years out of their high-end waders.

When I was a kid I wet waded a lot in Michigan and had a ritual of removing leeches from my legs after many trips. They are painless and not noticeable until you search for them but have an anticoagulant in their mouths and it can bleed a bit when they are removed. Sort of soured me on wet wading, unfortunately.

upstate
Master Guide

Post by upstate »

Simms. If Simms built cars I would buy one!!!!

Tom!

tomvt
Guide

Post by tomvt »

I had used LL Bean boot style for years but last year I purchased a pair of Simms with separate boot and I love them. However for winter fishing at the Swift River I purchased a pair of neoprene boot style from Cabelas and they kept me comfortable.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Bud wrote:Take a look at Dryft
So I'm taking a look at their website and it's hard to tell from the pictures and the descriptions:
Are they bootfoot or stockingfoot?

They seem to be stockingfoot but then verbage like "Rubber DRYFT tread on soles." coupled with the pictures have me scratching what's left of my hair.

Silver rat
Guide

Post by Silver rat »

Recently replaced by 10+ year old Simms boot footed waders with a pair of Reddington boot footed waders. Pleased with them so far but will have to see how they hold up after a couple years use. As one that prefers boot footed waders (without felt soles) my options are rather limited.

old and retired
Sport

Post by old and retired »

Dryft waders are well made. Gravel guards are a little tight. Probably warm in the summer. Zipper is great. Peeing is so much easier. AND cheaper than Simms. I use them for Steelhead.

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

cutthroatkid wrote:When I was a kid I wet waded a lot in Michigan and had a ritual of removing leeches from my legs after many trips. They are painless and not noticeable until you search for them but have an anticoagulant in their mouths and it can bleed a bit when they are removed. Sort of soured me on wet wading, unfortunately.
Wouldn't heavy lycra tights prevent leeches from 'attacking'? These days I generally wet-wade with neoprene socks and lycra tights unless temperatures required waders to keep warm...

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I have owned Simms and Patagonia and both served me well, however the prices just keep climbing, and I have issues with Simms' warranty. Simms seem to wear the longest but good luck getting them to honor their warranty after the first season in my experience.

I bought a pair of Redington's new zippered waders when they came out during the winter of 2014. Wore them hard, for five years and they were the most comfortable and easiest to get on and off I ever owned. One puncture in five years, fixed with two drops of Aquaseal. The zipper finally began to seep late last summer so I have replaced them. Once you have the zipper, you will never go back, at least if you are an older angler.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”