Displaying bamboo rods- ideas?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Mike N
Master Guide

Displaying bamboo rods- ideas?

Post by Mike N »

I have collected vintage reels for over 35 years but only intermittently collected the same period greenheart or lancewood or bamboo rods. The main obstacle to my rod collecting has been that I soon find myself with dozens of sealed rod tubes locked in my gun safe. What’s the fun in that?

I am looking for a custom maker or plans for a cherry or mahogany rod display rack, most likely vertical, but if the rod is left in short sections to prevent a “set,” I would really like a horizontal display rack.

Any thoughts or ideas or custom craftsmen to recommend? Photos? After all, a classic reel displayed without the appropriate rod is kind of like a Nathan’s Famous hot dog without the bun....tasty, but not totally satisfying.

Thanks
Mike N
Mike N.
Founder, Old Reel Collectors Association (ORCA)
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Displaying bamboo rods- ideas?

Post by Webfly »

Displaying rods and reels has been discussed many times on this forum as well as plenty of photos. You can get a good start by using the "search" function in the upper right hand corner, it serves well for doing all kinds of research. And, I'm sure that many will not mind chiming in again or for the first time.

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

I just built this a few months ago and have been happy with the design so far. Gives easy access to the rods & reels, but displays everything without taking up a lot of space:

Mike N
Master Guide

Post by Mike N »

archer829– very impressive display case. Thanks for posting.

Mike N
Mike N.
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Post by 60InchDV8 »

Hi Mike,
I would recommend a simple rack like this which allows rods with mid sections and tips to be displayed vertically. An elastic cord is attached on the upper rack for added security for the rods and tips but the angled inward incline design holds them in position. The design of the rack does not cause the rod tips to develop a set or twist.
I have 12 trout rods with reels attached alternating inside and outside the rack. If you wanted to display all the rods with reels facing forward, a wider rack and spacing would be necessary. I have 12 salmon rods on the rear rack displayed but without reels as they would not be visible. The design could easily be altered to attach to the wall with all rods and reels being displayed frontally at floor level or higher.

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

I've built several of these for forum (and other) customers. Dimensions and hole sizes are completely flexible.

I built this "collectibles" wall unit for a Miramichi Salmon Assoc. auction:

I built the interior pieces for this display from AMFF's Anglers All exhibition. I could see doing something similar, but with doors rather than the plexi vitrine:

Gary

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Post by 60InchDV8 »

Very nice craftsmanship

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Depends if you're looking for a static wall display or want a travel display. For static, Gary's AMFF cases are outstanding, as are the others shared here. An antique display cabinet makes a great starting point for a static cabinet as well. For travel, Jeff's GTRS boxes are a great method and you could probably have a local cabinet shop make a few that could be mounted on the wall, taken off and folded up to travel.
I married the hang on the wall into a mobile horizontal or vertical display

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

Wow! That’s awesome!

Mike N
Master Guide

Post by Mike N »

Gary and Royce- superb craftsmanship and great content. Thanks for posting.

Mike N
Mike N.
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

Boomklimmer

Post by Boomklimmer »

This is the coolest one I’ve seen https://christofereliasson.se/test#/flyfishing-cabinet
Respectfully,

Boom

Sidemount Fan
Sport

Post by Sidemount Fan »

Orphan handles with reels mounted can certainly save space when putting together a display:

And a question: has anyone tried to modify the internal "cage" on these early cane/umbrella showcases to display rods? I've always hoped to find one reasonably priced to do just that.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Boom - that's art cool!
Sidemount - great idea, old curved glass cabinets are the bomb ... could do the same with the correct curved glass front china hutches.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Museum pieces gentlemen, beautiful. I stick with displaying in my hand and waving while standing in the river, but I am a fisherman and they were after all designed to be fished.

I like the Vermonter's tube rack though, from the practical side. Kindly PM me is you are still building some to sell,
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

PM sent, Caneghost.
Gary

Mike N
Master Guide

Post by Mike N »

With inspiration from the photos posted by others, I made a rough sketch and had a craftsman build me this cedar rod rack for under $200. It disassembles easily to take to vintage tackle shows:

(Click on photo to enlarge)

Last edited by Mike N on 06/28/20 09:55, edited 1 time in total.
Mike N.
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

norcal_1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by norcal_1 »

I ran across this doing a search on vintage furniture. If a forum member in Illinois wanted a display for reels (or somebody with a fly shop), one could hardly do better for $150
https://www.theperfectthing.net/store/p ... inet_.html

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”