Another Question about Fluorocarbon tippet Mat'l

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Another Question about Fluorocarbon tippet Mat'l

Post by DUCKMANNM »

Has anyone else had ant problems with fluorocarbcon leader tippet material? I finally broke down and started using fluorocarbon tippets to fish with. A lot of time when setting the hook/fly, I've had the knots come undone where the tippet joins the leader. I've used Surgeon's Knots, Double and Triple Surgeon's knots, barrel knots, every other knot I thought might work! I'm about ready to try super glue on the knots. Does/Did anyone else have similar problems, and if you did, how did you correct it?

jimwright
Master Guide

Re: Another Question about Fluorocarbon tippet Mat'l

Post by jimwright »

I use double surgeons knots to connect tippet and don't experience failures save on RARE occasions after breaking off snagged flies a few times the tippet will eventually break at the knot. I have never had the knot come untied however and I do wet the it before tightening and don't tie materials more than 2 sizes different together such as 5x to 3x.

rasnickr
Guide

Post by rasnickr »

Not to state the obvious: But, are you tying the right size tippet onto the right size of leader? (Fluro can slip when tied to mono. Some guys take one extra turn on the surgeons knot before seating it.)
I think the rule of thumb is: You can tie tippet one size up and two sizes down? ie.. you can tie 4x to a 5x and a 6x to a 4x.
I use a surgeons knot and don't experience any slippage. When I have a break it is usually below the knot tying tippet to leader and usually the knot at the hook. I do test my knots with a good snug pull. I have found fluro to sometimes being weak in spots of the tippet spool. And always make sure you aren't nicking the tippet when pulling it from the spool. Some band rings might be abrasive on the tippet spool, it it has one.

rick

galt
Master Guide

Post by galt »

You could probably alleviate the problem by tying a tippet ring to the leader and tying the tippet to the ring with standard clinch knots. No restrictions on size mismatch here and SOP with the Euro methods.

Galt
Know the reasons for your actions

dublhaul
Sport

Post by dublhaul »

When you say "knots come undone", I'm presuming you mean one line or the other is breaking at/inside the knot, and not meaning the knot is coming untied.

Years ago, when I was first working with fluorocarbon as a tippet material to figure out which knots were best, I found that it was common for one material or the other (usually the fluorocarbon) to "chatter" when tightening the knot, and burned/weakened the material or otherwise prevented the two dissimilar materials from tightening equally and well. Lube pretty much fixed the problem (fly floatant, lip balm, etc. worked better than saliva). But the aforementioned tippet ring is a really good option.

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

No Dublhaul! The knots are not breaking! What is left is just a curl on the end of the leader where it came loose. And I do wet the knots! Maybe I just got some funky tippet material. I don't want to put too many wraps in the knots though. I used to tie my own knotted leaders with Maxima, and the fish were hitting the knots on the leader instead of my fly. Not to worry, I'm going to all fluorocarbon this year! Thanx for the replies!

Capt. Frank
Master Guide

Post by Capt. Frank »

I use a blood knot on my knotted flouro leaders, five turns, never had a problem. I use flouro in all of my leaders, butt to tippet.

JPaden
Sport

Post by JPaden »

I don't know how many people on this site listen to pod cast but the latest version of the "Orvis Fly Fishing Guide Podcast" had an extended discussion all about leaders and tip material with the product design lead of Scientific Anglers Josh Jenkins. A mini master class about leaders and tippets. The podcast was dated February 6, 2020. You can find it here - https://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/podcasts
Top row left side as of 2/14/2020. There was dicussion about materials, connecting fluorocarbon to mono, knots ect.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”