Land of little rivers - the movie

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

resman549
Sport

Land of little rivers - the movie

Post by resman549 »

Last evening I had the opportunity to attend a showing of Land of Little Rivers , a documentary type film made by Catskill guide and Tyer ,Bruce Concors. This film captures the diversity of the rivers and people who fish them perfectly. There are moments of hilarity and times your brought to tears ( the interview of Dennis Skarka ) . If you love these rivers and the Catskills of NY this is a must see !

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Land of little rivers - the movie

Post by Caneghost »

Where is it showing, assuming it is there for more than one show?
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Just saw that this is now on Amazon and Vimeo.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

It is available now on DVD. Trout Town Flies in Roscoe has them. I enjoyed it but thought they could have done a better job in choosing their "cast", etc. The moments with Dennis Skarka brought fond memories as I always enjoyed hanging out and talking with him while he tied ceaselessly. Ben Rinker's spots were likewise enjoyable.

No where near the quality and value of "Chasing The Taper", though still worth a look.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

andre49
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by andre49 »

I agree with Post above the “cast” could have been better. Don't get me wrong...I know some of these guys and their great guys but I can count on two hands people better suited to describe the lore of the Catskills than one who was given a very prominent role. Still congratulations Bruce for putting together an entertaining movie.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

I enjoyed it but thought they could have done a better job in choosing their "cast"
Agreed it was enjoyable, but it should have been titled "Row Rob"

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

Caneghost wrote:
06/27/20 05:22
It is available now on DVD. Trout Town Flies in Roscoe has them. I enjoyed it but thought they could have done a better job in choosing their "cast", etc. The moments with Dennis Skarka brought fond memories as I always enjoyed hanging out and talking with him while he tied ceaselessly. Ben Rinker's spots were likewise enjoyable.

No where near the quality and value of "Chasing The Taper", though still worth a look.
Agreed!

corlay
Master Guide

Post by corlay »

I was disappointed that this turned out to be a film mostly about "guides".
Even did a segment on an Adirondack guide and her home waters? Not sure how that was at all relevant.

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

corlay wrote:
07/24/20 10:59
Even did a segment on an Adirondack guide and her home waters? Not sure how that was at all relevant.
Agreed, and I sensed that from the promo. Too bad...
In any event, the promo piece seemed far different in tone and content from the book, that I adore. I do not want to say much more than that...

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

corlay wrote:
07/24/20 10:59
True again, and a tad disconnected.... and after thinking more about the DVD, and talking to others, not sure if the "language" elevated the film or kept in in the gutter? As one buddy told me, is this a film you'd want to show to a young, aspiring sub-teen flyfisher? :-\

Else some nice photography... mute the sound perhaps.... :P

Ed

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I watched this last night on Amazon Prime and while it is far from a must watch, it does have some characters with class, such as Hoagy Carmichael, but there are too many "characters" and I agree with the above statement about the distateful and easily edited out foul language. I love the book and highly recommend it.

Cheers,
Joe

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

Just watched Land of little rivers, really enjoyed the movie, great winter viewing.

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

There are some things I liked about the film but it had to do more with seeing people I have known and respected over the years. The production quality was poor as was the camera work as it looked like it was filmed through a smart phone. Did like seeing Dennis Starka, David Brant, Rick Miller and Mike Canazon. Wish more thought went into the actual production of the film
Bob

gaddis
Master Guide

Post by gaddis »

I’ve been watching this for about a half hour. Enjoyable on some level, but so far seems like a commercial for guide services. An outsider watching this would come away with the impression that fly fishing for trout is typically done from a drift boat, with a guide deftly netting your 18” trout for you.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”