First gun you purchased

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: First gun you purchased

Post by Tommasini »

First gun I owned was a Marlin .410 bolt action single shot . It was bought by my Father. First gun I bought was a Franchi Falconet 20ga OU.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

No purchased, gifted from an elderly neighborhood gent. JC Higgins, bolt action, 5 shot tubular magazine under the barrel, 16 ga.
Was the terror of the local bunny population!

tomvt
Guide

Post by tomvt »

It was a Savage 30-30; I was in the eight grade and had a summer job picking weeds at a produce farm and saved $30. The rifle was well used but Dad refinished it. That year I shot my first deer; 110 lb. spike horn. I don't know who was more excited Dad or me. -tomVT

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Couldn't ... my father and mother would not allow guns in the house.
Yes, I had a great upbringing.

Marterius
Master Guide

Post by Marterius »

The first gun I bought was a German side by side boxlock, a Suhl Merkel mod. 8, 12 g. I never managed to shoot well enough with it, so eventually I replaced it with a Spanish AyA SbS sidelock a few years later, to celebrate my PhD. Still my favourite but I also have a Benelli for the heavy geese loads.

All my guns are European with the exception of my stalking rifle: a Kimber 84 in .308 Win. :)

Shoeless Joe
Master Guide

Post by Shoeless Joe »

Purchased my first piece, a Colt SP-1 on my 18th birthday, the day ‘The Land of Leaving’ (aka, IL) deemed I was old enough to own a long gun. Carried it into the house & Dad shook his head in disbelief... not because it was an AR-15, but rather, because it wasn’t blued & it had “plastic” furniture :lol

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

Marterius wrote:The first gun I bought was a German side by side boxlock, a Suhl Merkel mod. 8, 12 g. I never managed to shoot well enough with it, so eventually I replaced it with a Spanish AyA SbS sidelock a few years later, to celebrate my PhD. Still my favourite but I also have a Benelli for the heavy geese loads.

All my guns are European with the exception of my stalking rifle: a Kimber 84 in .308 Win. :)
I can see you like classy weapons! I almost bought an AyA in Madrid when I was stationed there. Lets put it this way, if I could afford it, I would have! :)

That Kimber is a very nice weapon as well.

Marterius
Master Guide

Post by Marterius »

Loogie wrote:
Marterius wrote:The first gun I bought was a German side by side boxlock, a Suhl Merkel mod. 8, 12 g. I never managed to shoot well enough with it, so eventually I replaced it with a Spanish AyA SbS sidelock a few years later, to celebrate my PhD. Still my favourite but I also have a Benelli for the heavy geese loads.

I can see you like classy weapons! I almost bought an AyA in Madrid when I was stationed there. Lets put it this way, if I could afford it, I would have! :)

Yes, I do, same with guns and fly reels. :) The Kimber is a very nice gun but it has a rather short barrel so a bit sensitive with heavier bullets. We don't see many Kimbers here in Sweden but a few was imported when the exchange rate for the dollar was low.

sunjpg
Guide

Post by sunjpg »

Ansley H. Fox AE grade 12 gauge M/F from the 1910s. Its LOP fit me perfectly. Purchased in 1977 after college graduation.

Had a gifted 1940 20 gauge Winchester Model 12 IC from my father before this first purchase of my own. The pair made a great combo with a duck & dove gun, and a quail gun.

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

Marterius wrote:
Loogie wrote:

Yes, I do, same with guns and fly reels. :) The Kimber is a very nice gun but it has a rather short barrel so a bit sensitive with heavier bullets. We don't see many Kimbers here in Sweden but a few was imported when the exchange rate for the dollar was low.
I have a Cooper single shot in 204 ruger, I think they were part of Kimber in the past, should check them out at Cooper guns, Very nice as well.

Marterius
Master Guide

Post by Marterius »

Loogie wrote:
Marterius wrote:
Loogie wrote:

I have a Cooper single shot in 204 ruger, I think they were part of Kimber in the past, should check them out at Cooper guns, Very nice as well.
Looks nice, I have seen the name before but never handled one. Can't be many this side of the Atlantic. :)

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

Marterius, My piece de resistance in rifles are My Browning's single shot Highwall, model 1885 in 22-250 and 7 mm Rem Mag. I believe they are as classic as a 4wt Bamboo! If you ever visit VA, I'll let you shoot them!

Marterius
Master Guide

Post by Marterius »

Loogie wrote:Marterius, My piece de resistance in rifles are My Browning's single shot Highwall, model 1885 in 22-250 and 7 mm Rem Mag. I believe they are as classic as a 4wt Bamboo! If you ever visit VA, I'll let you shoot them!
Very nice, I should love to! And you shoot them over iron sights I presume? :)

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

I shoot them both scoped, no sights. I do have an 1885 in 45-70, with open sights, it's a Winchester, using the browning patent, the same gun used when the west was being settled, only a modern version.

Grandhogair
Guide

Post by Grandhogair »

My first and only new gun was a Winchester Model 1200 12 gauge with modified choke and a ventilated rib. Used $150 of my paper route money from our very local sporting goods store (owned by the local game warden).

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

Well, Mom won't allow guns in the house, but my neighbor has a Sako Rikimaki that I use- he doesn't hunt anymore.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

Marterius
Master Guide

Post by Marterius »

Loogie wrote:I shoot them both scoped, no sights. I do have an 1885 in 45-70, with open sights, it's a Winchester, using the browning patent, the same gun used when the west was being settled, only a modern version.
I guess you need a low scope mount with the curvy stock on an old rifle? The 1855 sounds nice, in a modern gun and with with modern powder the 45-70 is an interesting calibre if the range isn't too long. Not unknown in Sweden among moose-hunters who go with dogs.

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

Mosse hunting with dogs? How does that work? I’d think the mosse would just run away. Can’t tree a moose like you can a bear or cougar.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

In NC they hunt deer with dog because often the woods are too dense to see very far. the hunters stand on logging roads or other clearings and wait for the deer to come by. Deer are sprinters dogs are marathoners so they can run them to ground. You know where the deer are by the baying of the dogs. I would think the situation is similar for moose hunting.

RMorrison
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by RMorrison »

Very interesting. I had no idea hunting deer or moose this way was a thing.
Last edited by RMorrison on 03/26/20 18:24, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”