Heelers as fishing buddies.

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

kconway
Guide

Heelers as fishing buddies.

Post by kconway »

Hi,

My fishing buddy Tahoe, a Bernese Mountain died a few years ago and after much thought I'm thinking about getting another pal. I'm leaning towards a Queensland Heeler and would love to get some feed back on them as stream side buddies.

Thanks, Ken

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Heelers as fishing buddies.

Post by Loogie »

Where do you live? It might help folks suggesting a breed.

kconway
Guide

Post by kconway »

I’m in California but spend several months in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming fishing in the summer and fall.

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

You should talk to Chris Barclay...he fishes with a Heeler named Stella and she is fantastic! Google C Barclay Fly rods his number is on the site.

Big Pine

Post by Big Pine »

munsey w wrote:You should talk to Chris Barclay...he fishes with a Heeler named Stella and she is fantastic! Google C Barclay Fly rods his number is on the site.
That’s what I was thinking, too. I don’t know Chris personally, but Stella seems like a wonderful fishing dog in his blog posts and photos.

I have bird dogs, but I’ve always thought that I could get a heeler someday, mostly as a hiking and fishing companion. They’re nice dogs.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Stella may be an Australian Cattle Dog, but I could be wrong.

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

kconway wrote:Hi,

My fishing buddy Tahoe, a Bernese Mountain died a few years ago and after much thought I'm thinking about getting another pal. I'm leaning towards a Queensland Heeler and would love to get some feed back on them as stream side buddies.

Thanks, Ken

Ken,

I know zilch about Queensland Heelers and I'm not a "dog guy" myself having grown up w/o them...but I do love them! I'll share this...

My son and his bride have a "Blue Heeler" that's an absolutely superb dog! "River" is a rescue from the pound so I'm not sure if he's pure or not. When he was first brought home 5 yrs. ago the y took him for two weeks of very good training, for the dog as well as themselves.

River has never tasted human food, not allowed and he doesn't seem to want it! They keep him on a regimented diet that's appropriate for him. They have taught him per the classes to obey instructions and the dog is really, really well mannered. He won't come to the table to beg. He obeys orders really well indeed. He is "yard trained" and does not over-step the boundaries laid out for him etc. etc...

Of course all this relies too on the disciplines of the dogs owners and both are exceptional indeed, so much so that I compliment them a ton b/c I'm pretty impressed they'd be that on top of it all.

When we sit the dog we've been well informed as to what to do and what not to do. We totally comply as anything else wouldn't be fair to the animal! He's a jewel and we love him! What impresses me is the disciplines that my DIL and my son maintain. Never would've suspected....

Hope this sheds some light on your question... Train your dog well, stick to the regimen and you're in for a wonderful companion!

River. -click on him.

Jeremy.

kconway
Guide

Post by kconway »

Thanks Jeremy for the great info! River is a beautiful dog. That’s what I’ve been reading about heelers, train them and keep them on a good regimen. I’m retired and have the time to devote to a new pal.

Ken

retro-1
Guide

Post by retro-1 »

You may find that many here do not approve of dogs on the river, however my Blue Heeler Raz
is my best fishing buddy at 10 years old and lives for the river. She knows to stay out of my
casting line and on the bank behind me so as not to spook fish upstream. Then wants to help
with the release. Never had a more well trained dog eager to please or be with. This dog treats
fishing with her master as her job. My fishing outings without her are far less enjoyable.
Good luck.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”