Lost Jobs, Are You fishing More?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Lost Jobs, Are You fishing More?

Post by flyfishingpastor »

After retirement made me NUTS, I accepted a small church that needed a hand. What the heck, the young pastor had no experience but LOTS of energy. I had well, LESS, energy, but plenty of experience. So, I agreed to come onboard and lend a hand. Love the church and so I work way more than part-time hours. It comes with the job and I don't mind. I also have the understanding that when it's time to fish, well, Pastor Pat disappears if there is no emergencies, etc. The pay check is small but the flexibility is good.

So, I had the best of all worlds. I worked enough to keep busy, but had plenty of time to fish, as circumstances allowed. Then this virus hit. And, we're struggling to keep in touch with our congregation in the older/complications category. Lots don't answer the phone. Many have no computer. And, snail mail, their preference, is cumbersome.

So, our worship services are online now. Taped at church (just the pastor and a video camera) or at home. We have other people tape segments of the worship, at home, and we have a wonderful video tech who splices it altogether. It takes more than full time hours to try to keep up. So, the weather isn't conducive to fishing much right now and, as has been mentioned, fishing is a no-no in Washington State right now. Idaho is still a go for the time being. But, yes, this virus is requiring many MORE hours than planned and will, for the duration. But, people need a hand, and a spiritual lift, so, like many, MANY of you, we'll continue to lend a hand until this passes. Then, I just might make up for lost time for a month or so. :)

Pat

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

Pat

We need a laugh.... please post your Tup's cleaning activity again.

Bob

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

As an Administrator I'm absolutely appalled at some of these threads. It's painfully obvious that some folks do not engage their brains before starting to type, nor do they review what they have typed before they hit the "Send" button.

I realize that some folks are already well into the "shack nasties" and that's unfortunate... but don't share your problem here. Many of the states have no restrictions on fishing or other outdoor activities, in fact some are encouraging the same as long as you use caution and maintain safe distances.

Neither AL nor TN have issued total lock-downs and so I took yesterday off and went to a friend's private pond for some some flat water fishing since all the streams in the area are out of their banks once again. Nice enough day, and an opportunity to get some fresh air and get out of the house. Also needed to test a couple new rods. If you ever need to buy something unusual, and yet absolutely fantastically useful, then try and find a good copy of PHY's "Litle Giant". I have always been doubtful of the claims of a couple friends that this tiny (under 7ft) 6 wt rod could perform as they claimed. Kentuck Jim made me a single tip to try... and all I can say is, "WOW"! 50 to 70 ft casts, and the damnedest roll casting capability out to 30ft plus just blew me away. Miracles with fly rods do happen.

I'm going to leave this topic open, as it does seem that some folks are playing by the rules, but if it receives any more "nasty grams" I'm going to put those folks on notice that they are close to getting a 3 day "stand down". So behave!

Ralph the Administrator

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Thank you Ralph.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I guess my 'job' is making rods now, so I hollowed a butt section yesterday, and I have three more to hollow, plus tips. We have 'pre-runoff' now, and I caught a big fish two days ago. I'm in a remote area, so I can go.

Thanks to Gimmeslack for posting this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdNJ0JA ... e=youtu.be

Jay Edwards
Last edited by bluesjay on 03/31/20 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

This is normally spring salmon season on the Columbia. Boat launches are packed with guides and recreational anglers.River beaches are packed with bank anglers (called Plummer’s). People are spending lots of money with guides, local restaurants and stores, etc... The river is currently barren of people. I haven’t seen any recent numbers but normally recreational fishing injects allot of $ into the river communities

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

Mark, I am retired/working having reached an age where returning to work does not affect my pension. Currently I'm laid off but I am not fishing much as the coastal fishing I do here in LA. is on a barrier island on which businesses are closed along with a state park I frequent. I considered going to Great Smokey Mts. National Park but it is closed. My western Montana trip planned for April 1-10 is canceled and a d.i.y. Belize bonefish trip is wait and see. At 74 I'm blessed with good health and believe I could still fish these closer areas without great risk but have no problem understanding those decisions being made.

jacbethke
Sport

Post by jacbethke »

Here in the Driftless area of Wisconsin I can report that the trout streams have been busier than usual. Personally, I've been fishing lots more, taking it slow, enjoying the outdoors, and generally feeling restored by doing something that is both physically and mentally healthy.

Getting to and from the trout stream is a concern. Some folks can do so with zero social exposure - perfect! Another guy maybe needs to fill up his gas tank - please take every precaution possible! Another guy is going to jump in the car with his friend - might want to think twice about that! And I don't even know what else to say to the group of 5 guys on the trout stream who got out of a maroon Honda CRV with an Illinois license plate two days ago, except that that's always wrong, especially right now!

Use good judgment folks, and you'll be rewarded with bigger fish!

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

I didn't know I could get "Cabin Fever" in the spring. Our Gov in New Mexico has issued the "all but essential business closures" and stay home in all but the most dire situations. I haven't heard about any fishing closures yet, but I was able to get my 2020 fishing license on-line on Apr 2nd. Dept of Game and Fish had not listed any closures yet. We just have to wait and see if the Forest Service closes any of the National Forests, and we got a bunch of them. Last season they most all closed because of the drought. I'm still laying off the Chinese food though! Ya never know!

68camaro

Post by 68camaro »

In sales, not lost job but very slow. Office closed so working from home, have way to much time on hands with no commute, no travel and not much client interest.

Positive is doing much more fishing. Example, yesterday shut it down at 1:00pm and went fishing, got home at 10pm (including 4.5hr RT drive).

Getting pretty bored though.....

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

Water here in the Missouri Ozarks has been really high lately, but I have driven the half hour to Roaring River Trout Park a couple of times for few hours of solitary fishing. But I have to take this virus very seriously, being well over 65, diabetic, and with a compromised immune system due to the drugs I take as an 18 year heart transplant survivor. Odds are I would not survive a bout with this virus. So I stay home and drive my wife nuts.....

baughb
Guide

Post by baughb »

Too much time on my hands. But along with the house projects which will never end, my state has delayed opening the majority of "known" rivers and watersheds yet there are a number of year-round little blue lines that are frozen up until this time anyway so there are no restrictions on those waters and dispersed camping is very available. I'm introducing myself to more blue lines and getting a lot of joy out of it.

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

Stop the damn politics! Can you people not read and understand the rules for this forum? One more word of politics here and people will be banned.

Randyflycaster
Master Guide

Post by Randyflycaster »

Actually, I didn't fish at all during the pre-runoff here in Montana. I went back to delivering food for Uber. I just felt I had to do what I could to help keep our local restaurants afloat. And I had, and have, no regrets.

Randy

baughb
Guide

Post by baughb »

baughb wrote:
05/15/20 17:23
Too much time on my hands. But along with the house projects which will never end, my state has delayed opening the majority of "known" rivers and watersheds yet there are a number of year-round little blue lines that are frozen up until this time anyway so there are no restrictions on those waters and dispersed camping is very available. I'm introducing myself to more blue lines and getting a lot of joy out of it.
Continuing to extract the joy out of new local waters but, now that the virus has chosen to be less viral during fishing season (smart little bugger) and various states have opened for non-residents... leaving Wed for my favorite waters out West... but well East of here. Very excited.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”