The Classic Fly Rod Forum at 20 Years

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

The Classic Fly Rod Forum at 20 Years

Post by Greg Reynolds »

If I remember correctly, Clark Davis founded the Classic Fly Rod Forum in the spring of 2000. I joined in September of 2000, and there were about 200 members at the time. I know some of you original members are still here. Can anybody tell me what month the forum came into being? Who of you were members in the early years?

Most-all of the fly fishing forums I've visited over the years are long-defunct. This is an amazing place and really is the world's repository of bamboo rod knowledge.

Thanks...

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: The Classic Fly Rod Forum at 20 Years

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Greg I sold something to Drew, tedgolden, on eBay at about that time. He is the one who told me about the forum and may be able to help you with the dates. He was a moderator, but not sure if one of the originals.

Barry

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Thanks Barry, I believe Drew was here very early. Gofish60, a friend of Clarks, was certainly here from the beginning.

I think our 1st forum gathering was in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania in 2002 or 2003. I'm sure a fair number of current members were there--Titelines, Andre, Spruce Grouse, etc...

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

Greg,

Yup, that was a very enjoyable get together.

Mark

andre49
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by andre49 »

Yes, it was, but I believe that gathering was actually sponsored by The Virtual Flyshop but most of us from here at the time attended and had a little boo conclave within that. Remember sitting on a porch somewhere with Streamer and Sante as well as I believe you, Rolf, Mark and others. That was a nice KOA. At least that’s the way I remember it.
Last edited by andre49 on 04/10/20 15:39, edited 1 time in total.

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Post by Boise Bamboo »

Under the "Members" link at the top of the page, members are listed by join date. User "Singlemalt" is at the top of the list, joining 1/18/00.
Don

andre49
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by andre49 »

Boise Bamboo wrote:Under the "Members" link at the top of the page, members are listed by join date. User "Singlemalt" is at the top of the list, joining 1/18/00.
Don
I don’t believe those dates are accurate as people had to re-register numerous times and had new start dates associated with those new registrations. I myself have been Andre, andre517, andre1949, and now andre49.

Rolf Jacobsen
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Rolf Jacobsen »

Andre is correct, that gathering was through the old VFS Board. Things that come to mind….

I never realized so many people could sleep in one KOA cabin.

Banjo in true GoatRoper fashion insisted on grilling me breakfast.

I realized I could learn a lot from Andre and a few others if I would just take the time to watch and listen.

I was impressed by the generosity of everyone I met there.

It was to be the first of some damn fine gatherings later.
Brook Trout are God's way of saying everything is going to be all right.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Singlemalt is Jim Bresko, owner of Coldwater Collectibles. He's a very nice guy. So based on his registration, we know the forum started no later than January, 2000.

Rolf, you're the first person I remember being here, probably because you post under your own name. You're the reason I re-registered under my name when we migrated to EZboard. You must have been here early in that 1st year?

I remember "Cane Head" being here when I found the forum. He had some posts in 2019 after an absence.

The Bellefonte VFS meeting was great, and the place I met many of the forums core members of the time. The thing I remember fondly was how we came from all walks of life, were very different in many respects, but were/are so like-minded about tackle. What a crew. My database went public because that gathering. Sante Guliani ('Banjo) wanted it on his 1st website. I remember being very reluctant, but he persuaded me. Glad he did...

wefishcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wefishcane »

I'm listed as joining in 2004. However, I actually joined in 2000, but recall there was a reset in '04 for some reason. Anyone remember why?

Jim

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Jim, that's when the forum migrated to EZboard from the original message board platform (the name of which I can't remember). All existing members had to re-register.

IIRC, that's when Santi took over from Clark Davis, who wanted out.

I think the forum transitioned to YUKU in about 2008.

Bill T
Guide

Post by Bill T »

I cant remember when I originally joined sometime around 2001 to 2002. Other than seeing everyone at Somerset the first gatherings I attended were in Potter County. The fishing was not great but we had a good time. Was that 2004?

Bill

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Bill T wrote:I cant remember when I originally joined sometime around 2001 to 2002. Other than seeing everyone at Somerset the first gatherings I attended were in Potter County. The fishing was not great but we had a good time. Was that 2004?

Bill
Hi Bill. Yes, we were in Potter County in 2004 (floods) and 2005 (drought). I remember the gathering at Boiling Springs you organized. Loved that stone house we stayed in.

Rolf Jacobsen
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Rolf Jacobsen »

Good O'l Potter County. And who could forget Deb's Place?

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

:) :) :) :)

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Who remembers Clark's for sale board that pre-dated the forum? I was on there in the mid/late 90s and remember how much Clark was into the Tonka Queen. I also joined the original forum when it started. Wish I could remember what month it started.

tabrods406
Guide

Post by tabrods406 »

Interesting thread. While I'm a relative newcomer to the Forum I was thinking what a great idea to have a get together of board members when all this other stuff is over or at least under control. Alexis and I have met a number of the members and found them to be friendly and helpful to a person. We would enjoy meeting others in a casual setting and fishing with them.

Tom

andre49
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by andre49 »

I was on the board while I was living in Maine and left there in April 2001 so I must have been here in 2000. Sante asked me to moderate in 2004 when he took over board. For awhile it was just him and me and that was no fun. Do miss the gatherings though. Bellafonte, Potter County, Fishing creek, Boiling Springs, Savage River and the farm we used to rent in Roscoe with a bass pond.

Andre

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

I joined sometime in 2000, under a different handle. I later changed to this one, just because. Must have been when we did the EZ board thing. I remember Ralph (CZKid), Andre, Rolf, Sante, Len, Marty, Greg Hall (CaneBrain), Howard, Matt (aka BambooBoy, later Sal Fontinalis), lots of others. Good times. I was also a moderator for a long time.

Rolf Jacobsen
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Rolf Jacobsen »

Canewrap wrote:Who remembers Clark's for sale board that pre-dated the forum? I was on there in the mid/late 90s and remember how much Clark was into the Tonka Queen. I also joined the original forum when it started. Wish I could remember what month it started.
I purchased my first bamboo rod from Clark on that board, an EC Powell.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”