Small businesses

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Small businesses

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

I would think most rodmakers businesses are home based and hopefully not being harmed as badly as businesses needing folks to show up at their doors. Be interesting to hear if their sales are actually being harmed by virus. On other sites people are discussing which rods their going to buy with their government (taxpayer) supplied windfalls.

Barry

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

It would be interesting to hear an honest assessment of the bamboo market today from the rod dealers here on the forum. I suspect that it won't be shocking to know that sales have slumped. I could be wrong.

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

Roycestearns:
All I'm saying is it sounds pretty corrupt, taking taxpayer money to give money to the taxpayers. It's like stealing money out of a store, printing your name on it, and spending it at the same store, except the only thing the store sells is votes.
Last edited by samsonboi on 04/20/20 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Mark,

Wouldn't be surprised if bamboo market is a little slow, I think many folks here have been suggesting that for a year or two. But, what about the market for new and quality used glass?

Barry

Drossi
Master Guide

Post by Drossi »

And to make matters worse bigger companies that are getting the bail out have also started furlough and salary reduction programs to help ease their blow at the expense of their employees. Bet none of them see anything returned once the bail out checks come through.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

You can talk all the COVID-19 on this forum you want, but good god don't we dare mention glass :rolleyes

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Did you just say "glass" ??? lock this baby down. ::)

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

roycestearns wrote:Did you just say "glass" ??? lock this baby down. ::)

Ha! Thanx for the laugh. :)

Mister Bill
Master Guide

Post by Mister Bill »

I have helped quite a few businesses obtain PPP funds.

Is it perfect? No.

Was the intention good? Yes.

Is it a game changer? Yes.

Will it be extended to others in need? Yes.

Will it please all of the people all of the time? No.

Drossi
Master Guide

Post by Drossi »

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

All I'm saying is it sounds pretty corrupt, taking taxpayer money to give money to the taxpayers. It's like stealing money out of a store, printing your name on it, and spending it at the same store, except the only thing the store sells is votes.
I know you're an exceptionally bright young man, but think about this for a bit. You're the admitted Bernie supporter, how do you think the federal, state and local government pays for anything??? So you're suggesting the federal tax system is "stealing"? Taxes are collected from taxpayers, and most of that tax money is produced by the top 10% of wage earners. Taxes are then used by the federal, state, local government to pay for things like defense, transportation, education, infrastructure and yes social services. Corrupt?? How do you think Bernie proposed paying for everything? Income redistribution is exactly what is proposed by Bernie, Biden and BO. I know you'd like to say the president is corrupt, it's congress that spends the money not the president. Do you think any person that needs to put food on the table, pay their rent in the midst of this economic shutdown gives one thought to who's name is on that check? Now who's trolling?

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

Not at all! All I think is that no single person's name should be printed on it. It's an OK handout, unless it goes to the rich... which it is. It's going to huge businesses and restaurant chains as well as people.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Not at all! All I think is that no single person's name should be printed on it. It's an OK handout, unless it goes to the rich... which it is. It's going to huge businesses and restaurant chains as well as people.
At least do some homework before making this type of comment. You're confusing the irs stimulus payment with the small business loans. The stimulus checks have the President's signature on it which goes to individuals (tax payers), the SB loans are being written by the banks and although not perfect, the intent is to get it to SMB's, llc's, 1099's that are in a terrible situation.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

All I know as old fart who wouldn't survive a good dose of any lung disease, I watch the News in many different areas and networks. I try to understand what's going on. I just see them talking giving out billions and yes...trillions of $$ to support the economy. They're doing this with but a trickle of normal funds coming in. My fear is they're going to melt down the presses pounding out that money. POTUS says we'll just borrow it at 0% interest. From who?

Like Helmtflies and Grass and Glass the wife and I are fine as long as SS keeps coming in and inflation doesn't suddenly skyrocket and eat it all away. I also have a couple of pensions and wife has SS so if we should happen to get the checks I will definitely cash them and they will go to my kids, one down to part time in a car dealership on west coast and one in health care in MN coming off a bad virus determined NOT to be Covid19. The other one here in OK is out of work as so many family members and friends working in oil industry are. Great to buy gas at next to nothing by comparison to some years back but no one can take advantage of it and go anywhere.

I personally would love to make a spring trip fishing somewhere for a few days but even if guides are still working I would not trust any motel, cabin or hotel right now to have be thoroughly cleaned. Take care and keep politics out of this so we can continue discussing the economy and the stimulus checks.

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

roycestearns wrote:
At least do some homework before making this type of comment. You're confusing the irs stimulus payment with the small business loans. The stimulus checks have the President's signature on it which goes to individuals (tax payers), the SB loans are being written by the banks and although not perfect, the intent is to get it to SMB's, llc's, 1099's that are in a terrible situation.
I am completely aware of that. I realize that they are different. However, they are related which is why I have brought it up. Millions of dollars of loans are going to huge chains with less than 500 employees... AT EACH LOCATION! However, our tiny business (3 employees including my mom, the owner) has not gotten ANY loan money, and many others are in the same boat.

Meanwhile, the president prints his name on checks to associate himself with the handout.

My writing was a little jumbled in my last post.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

I am completely aware of that. I realize that they are different. However, they are related ... However, our tiny business (3 employees including my mom, the owner) has not gotten ANY loan money ... Meanwhile, the president prints his name on checks to associate himself with the handout.
Different and related because?
Did your Mom apply for a loan? If she did and didn't get a loan that's on the bank, got it?
Signature, 90 percent are EFTs so there wont be a signature anyway, happy?

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

Related, because both are meant to be pandemic assistance. Different, because one is a handout and the other a cheap loan. We had been trying to apply but kept getting hung up on and shunted through the phone system, then the money for the loan fund ran out.

Drossi
Master Guide

Post by Drossi »

samsonboi wrote:Not at all! All I think is that no single person's name should be printed on it. It's an OK handout, unless it goes to the rich... which it is. It's going to huge businesses and restaurant chains as well as people.
So just cause your a huge business or restaurant chain means that you're not being severely hurt by the COVID19 shutdowns??? There should be just as much help proportional help provided to those businesses as needed. It's not just small businesses and individuals that are suffering. If a huge business with many institutional investors (i.e. pension funds) were to belly up, what effect do you think that'd have on many retirement accounts? This whole thing isn't just about bailouts its trying to stem the tide and prevent widespread business failures. If we get that then you get sustainable unemployment and all the lovely things that follow like foreclosures and personal bankruptcies. That in turn would cascade us into not recession but full out global Depression. We are staring that in the face over the next 6 weeks.

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

Yeah, but as a whole I am not a fan of large businesses. Huge restaurant chains are not getting affected as much as long as they offer takeout, which many of them are. I think the loans should go to small businesses first, then once EVERYBODY small businesswise that applies for a loan and meets requiremens has gotten one, THEN, and ONLY THEN, should ANY money go to big corps.

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

LEAVE THE POLITICS OUT OF THE DISCUSSION.

Otherwise this thread will join the others.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”