Wading Staffs

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Wading Staffs

Post by billems »

I started using a wading staff this year. It's already prevented a couple of potential spills. Great tool, especially as I'm now just two years short of the big 70. Mine is a Simms, the 90 buck version. It works wonderfully. But I don't care for the long neoprene scabbard it comes in. The staff bangs against the back of my legs when it's holstered. Do any of you own the Folstaff? It looks easier to carry than the one I'm using.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Wading Staffs

Post by Hellmtflies »

I only use one in winter when there is too much ice and snow around and the water is way too cold to fall into. But I only use an old wooden one made for and sold by Orvis. My sister gave it to me as a gift back in 1979. Still works like a charm. :)

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

My wife and I both have Folstafs. At 78, it is as essential to fishing for us as the rod and reel. When it is in the holster, I am not even aware of it. When it is needed it is instantly available and works well, and at 225 I am no lightweight. It worked just as well BTW when i was 90 pounds heavier pre-cancer. ;) . I recommend them unhesitatingly, and they are backed by a bulletproof warranty.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

I have been using Folstaf for many years and as Eric states, you don't know it's there until you need it. Just remember to put some paraffin on the joints once in awhile. The best price I knew to buy one was from Dette Flies where they have free shipping on orders over $15.00.

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

Oddly enough, I was intending to post a thread on staffs myself, but wooden ones...

I'm 73 and have been using a wading for years, but full time for almost a decade now... I was/am a big fan of collapsible Falstaf's, but about 10 years ago started using a wooden staff... while in my younger days, a collapsible Falstaf at my side was just the ticket when I got myself into dicey areas, now a days I used my staff everywhere I go... I moved to a wooden staffs for two reasons... first they float, and since they float they don't clang the stream bottom letting trout know, "Here I come"... :-\

I posted a question years ago about a source of wooden staffs, and purchased one but can't recall where from... thus I seeking sources as I'm in need of another...

Thanks in advance,

Ed

GrsdLnr
Master Guide

Post by GrsdLnr »

Another Folstaf user here - I couldn't wade moving water without it.

andre49
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by andre49 »

I use just plain old adjustable hiking poles in very bright colors. Clips to strap on downs box. Very light, no holster, no tether in water and can get two for $35.00. What’s not to love. Bright colors to see it should I inadvertently drop it.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Looks like I've gotten into the "game" early. Folstaff for past 5 or so years, don't use it too often, but it keeps me upright to say "That was stupid of me".
Hiking poles are a good alternative, I happen to like the holster, tether and folding of the Folstaff.
Wooden one would be nice, especially if it was a "sword cane wading staff" :)

Rolf Jacobsen
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Rolf Jacobsen »

Another vote for Folstaf..................
Brook Trout are God's way of saying everything is going to be all right.

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

Eperous wrote:Oddly enough, I was intending to post a thread on staffs myself, but wooden ones...

I'm 73 and have been using a wading for years, but full time for almost a decade now... I was/am a big fan of collapsible Falstaf's, but about 10 years ago started using a wooden staff... while in my younger days, a collapsible Falstaf at my side was just the ticket when I got myself into dicey areas, now a days I used my staff everywhere I go... I moved to a wooden staffs for two reasons... first they float, and since they float they don't clang the stream bottom letting trout know, "Here I come"... :-\

I posted a question years ago about a source of wooden staffs, and purchased one but can't recall where from... thus I seeking sources as I'm in need of another...

Thanks in advance,

Ed
Ed, I revived your old post in the adjacent thread with the type of wood staff you purchased.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

andre49 wrote:I use just plain old adjustable hiking poles in very bright colors. Clips to strap on downs box. Very light, no holster, no tether in water and can get two for $35.00. What’s not to love. Bright colors to see it should I inadvertently drop it.
+1

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I don't do too much fishing, but when I hike I use a 'trekking' pole. I've made bamboo wading sticks, and I intend to use one this year. I don't think they are as strong as wood, and maybe not strong enough. I'll see.......

Jay Edwards

Bud
Master Guide

Post by Bud »

https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/92- ... ics/333217

This is the best folding wading staff I have used. Bought mine after my Simms staff collapsed when I was bellybutton deep in the Madison.

16parachuteadams
Master Guide

Post by 16parachuteadams »

Like a lot of the "senior" guys I have gone to the Folstaff out of self defense when wading in the Park. Has saved my bacon on a number of occasions, very useful to see just how deep that innocent looking piece of water really is. Also use a bamboo staff made for me by Stan Smartt that came from a double built impregnated salt water casting rod. Light in the hand and stout enough to beat a bear.

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

cwfly wrote:
Eperous wrote:Oddly enough, I was intending to post a thread on staffs myself, but wooden ones...

Thanks in advance,

Ed
Ed, I revived your old post in the adjacent thread with the type of wood staff you purchased.
Thanks Cwfly... I should have looked for that myself, but was "trolling" for new info... :-[

As I noted prior, for decades I used Folstaf, mainly when I did not rely upon a staff full time... I just got tried of the banging of metal on creek-bottom rocks as I fished, sometimes without use of a staff....

In recent years I have purchased wooden walking sticks that have served me well from two different sources... one was gift shops in Shenandoah National Park and the other The Vermont Country Store when we'd pass by there, while travelling... neither appears to be a short term solution....

I'd add a rubber crutch to the staff's bottom, and treat the wood with marine varnish... typically I'd get almost two seasons from a staff, BUT one trout season for me consists of 150 to 175 trips as I'm a lucky individual living where I do, with a very understanding wife...

Last October while we were up in the Adirondacks I got to fish the West Branch of the Ausable, a rough and tumble trout stream if there ever was one, and my staff broke on me... which was a rare occurrence as I find these just fine... that said, I remembered rather quickly how to navigate the river without one...

Thanks, sorry to divert this thread... my preference is a wooden staff these days, as I use one full time...

Ed

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

I have a Folstaf as well. Their hard leather sheath is excellent but a tad heavy. I found a military surplus belt Molle pouch on eBay that fits it well, is lighter and camo to boot!

The Folstaf has saved my bacon twice and both times I leaned really hard into it and it didn't budge. Well made staffs that fold up and stow away easily for rapid deployment.

Paul B
Master Guide

Post by Paul B »

I am now 63 and have been using a staff since my mid fifties . It is without a doubt the single most essential fishing purchase I have made in the last decade. If you don’t use one , go buy one , you will not regret it , they are a real saver .

Paul B

68camaro

Post by 68camaro »

Due to knee injury last year I started using the Folstaf as well. Works great. i do find food grade spray silicone better than the parafin wax

KLNC
Guide

Post by KLNC »

Bud wrote:https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/92- ... ics/333217

This is the best folding wading staff I have used. Bought mine after my Simms staff collapsed when I was bellybutton deep in the Madison.
I’ve used them all. This is the very best.
KLNC (formerly Spey Salar on the Forum)

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Paul B wrote:Bud wrote:
https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/92- ... ics/333217

I’ve used them all. This is the very best.
I agree 100%. Way better than Simms or Folstaf in my opinion.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”