Wading Staffs

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Wading Staffs

Post by wb4tjh »

I bought an Orvis ash wading staff back in the early 80s and have used it ever since. Now at 73, I would not think of wading without it. It6 has knocked down countless spider webs and even flipped a few snakes off my path over the years, not to mention getting out of some careless wading spots I got myself into in.

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

I first started using a wading staff in my mid 40’s (I’m 70 now) while fishing and guiding for Steelhead on the Skeena and Copper rivers of Northern BC. It certainly was essential for big water where big rivers can be treacherous. I bought a Sharps of Aberdeen wading staff, very solid. It’s a one-piece and weighted with lead on the bottom to make placement easy. Still have it and it’s like new. Staffs have saved me many a spill.

It was impractical for small stream use because of its size. Twenty years ago, I bought a Simms and its served me well, getting a bit worn but performs great. Added a rubber bumper on the bottom as the aluminum is noisy on-stream bottoms.

I do like the idea of a wooden staff and it’s a direction I will also investigate.

norcal_1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by norcal_1 »

Bud wrote: Image
Received the RiverStick wading staff from Rick Humphrey (rhumphrey@telus.net ) yesterday and couldn't endorse a product more - just superb quality in every respect. Heirloom quality. Thanks for the recommendation, Bud. Anyone who needs a wading staff would be crazy not to put this one first on their list. The fact it's so light for how strong it is and how solidly it assembles and remains in place (and can be traveled with) makes it a no brainer across the board. Good instructions from Rick were included as to how to maintain it. Rating: 10/10

Bud
Master Guide

Post by Bud »

I’m glad it suits you. I’m sure Rick is too.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

norcal_1 wrote:
Received the RiverStick wading staff from Rick Humphrey (rhumphrey@telus.net ) yesterday and couldn't endorse a product more - just superb quality in every respect. Heirloom quality. Thanks for the recommendation, Bud. Anyone who needs a wading staff would be crazy not to put this one first on their list. The fact it's so light for how strong it is and how solidly it assembles and remains in place (and can be traveled with) makes it a no brainer across the board. Good instructions from Rick were included as to how to maintain it. Rating: 10/10
I would have to agree. Mine came earlier today, and I am quite impressed.

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

I notice he has a compound tip on the staff, I wonder how that works in freestone slippery streams. I like the carbide tip on the Folstaffs very well.

tiptop
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by tiptop »

I have one of Rick Humphrey's staffs that I've fished for a year, including a couple weeks of difficult, full time wading in the Wind River Range. I found no disadvantage to the rubber tip compared to carbide although I did wear out one rubber tip and replaced it with another. It's very heavy duty and in fact is a bit heavy - which is my main gripe about it. Like all multi-piece staffs held together by a bungee, occasionally the sections will separate if the tip section gets stuck between rocks. Folstaffs can get jammed at times and be difficult to get apart but that can be avoided by regularly waxing the joints.

Bud
Master Guide

Wading Staffs

Post by Bud »

I’m pretty sure Rick can build them with carbide tip.

I have had no problem with the rubber tip. And it’s not as noisy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rockthief
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Rockthief »

http://captainbobsfishingtackle.com/cap ... -products/ I use his staff and also the scissors. The barb on the staff has helped me on embankments where I can hook onto a root or a crevice.

herkileez
Sport

Post by herkileez »

Bud wrote:I’m pretty sure Rick can build them with carbide tip.
I have had no problem with the rubber tip. And it’s not as noisy. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
90 % of my customers prefer a rubber tip, myself included, but I do have some machined, forge-hardened steel tips which I have done on a number of staffs.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

I prefer the rubber tip because a metal tip bangs enough to scare wary trout. I haven't had to replace it yet, but crutch tips of various diameters are easily available at places like Walmart and are an easy replacement.

herkileez
Sport

Post by herkileez »

16pmd wrote:I prefer the rubber tip because a metal tip bangs enough to scare wary trout. I haven't had to replace it yet, but crutch tips of various diameters are easily available at places like Walmart and are an easy replacement.
Rubber chair leg tips work well too, are very durable, and inexpensive, at approx. $4/pkg of 4. I always put a 3/4" washer, or a nickel, inside to prevent the staff from cutting through...available at any hardware store.

baughb
Guide

Post by baughb »

creakycane wrote:
05/29/20 17:51
norcal_1 wrote:
I would have to agree. Mine came earlier today, and I am quite impressed.
I joined the list of Rick's wading staff fan club. Received it recently and gave it a trial run. I think it will serve me well for a good number of years. I really enjoy supporting craftsmen.

Bob

herkileez
Sport

Post by herkileez »

Thanks for you kind comments, Bob.

Thought I should mention: My staff comes with a stainless ring which allows attachment to a retractor or tether, as well as a wrist strap.

I'm having an order of holsters made, and will have more staffs available shortly.

Thanks to all for your interest.

norcal_1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by norcal_1 »

Rick, so those are 3/4 inch rubber chair leg feet you use as replacements (can't see the picture too clearly of the one you posted)?

Also, what's the best way to store the staff, broken down or assembled? (thinking about bungee cord tension)

herkileez
Sport

Post by herkileez »

Yes, they are 3/4" rubber chair leg tips. They are available at any hardware store, at about $4/pkg of 4. I drop a 3/4" washer into them to prevent the tubing from cutting through. I fish a lot, and replace my tip maybe twice per year...They're quite durable.
I do have some machined, forge-hardened steel tips for those that prefer them, although 90% of my customers prefer rubber, myself included.

Storing the staff extended will preserve the tension in the bungee (although I usually forget). It's easy to re-tension it by popping the tip off, re-knotting the bungee and replacing the tip. I've never had to replace the bungee, but it's easy if it becomes necessary. I used proven, off-the-shelf components as much as possible in designing the staff. There's not much that can go wrong with it, as it's totally self-maintainable.

jalberts1
Sport

Post by jalberts1 »

I am 75 and have been using wooden staffs for many years, I make them for friends and once they use them they quickly pack away their folding staffs. I use mainly ash and sometimes hickory, maple, and oak, 60 inches ( 5 ft) stain it to your pleasure and seal it with Birchwood Casey Tru Oil, you can bequeath it to your grandchildren. You cant wear it out and you cant break it.

gjbu

Post by gjbu »

My Riverstick came yesterday. Well made and heavy duty. Told my wife I will be old guy waving it telling kids get off my lawn. What retractor are folks using? Thanks.

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

What are your thoughts about this. I just cut a plank with my chain saw. Do I need to let the wood air dry for a few months before I cut a few long narrow sections to make staffs for my friends. Will finish with Tung Oil. Should I harden? The staff with a torch before the wood staff is at its final width?
How bad would it be to cut and finish the "green" oak into a wading staff, or would it matter?
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Green oak should be fine but I suspect that it should be dry before it is sealed with a finish. BTW dogwood is an interesting wood to work with pretty dense not grainy.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”