The common bond between fly fishermen

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

The common bond between fly fishermen

Post by WiFlyFisher »

The other afternoon i was heading back downstream towards the bridge where I had parked my truck. The hatch I was hoping for had not happened. As I made my way downstream I saw another fly fisherman above the bridge that I would have to pass by. I could tell two things as i approached him. First, he was an excellent caster and two he was using a bamboo fly rod.

We exchanged hellos and immediately discussed the bamboo fly rods we were both using. Then he asked me if I was a member of the Classic Fly Rod Forum, which made me chuckle inside. I had never been asked that before. Since he was from Minnesota the conversation drifted into a common friend of both of ours - Jeremy Gubbins. We also found out we had both been fishing this river for about 45 years and we both knew many of the same fly fishermen yet we had never met before.

Our conversation was delightful and informative and probably lasted 45 minutes while Hendrickson spinners danced in the air. The females with their bright yellow egg sacks teasing the males. We ignored the dancing mayflies and ended up walking back down river together chatting all the way about past fly fishing experiences on the river, fly patterns and other fly fishermen that frequent the river over the years. I have to say we were not always social distancing, but in the northwoods most have not yet.

Back at the vehicles he pulled out a wonderful bamboo fly rod and handed it to me. It was a delight to hold and wiggle, even for someone who is not a collector of bamboo fly rods but loves to use them. He is definitely a serious collector of bamboo fly rods.

The next afternoon while sitting all alone along the bank of the river waiting and hoping for the hatch, I started to ponder what is it between fellow fly fishermen that bonds us immedaitely together so often? Is it bamboo fly rods, love of the sport, the Classic Fly Rod Forum, flies we tie, or the rivers we love that brings us together? I say that because no other type of fishing have I enjoyed conversing with others so much on first meetings.

Note: "Bond" not bound - I originally typed this on my iPhone.
Last edited by WiFlyFisher on 05/16/20 21:16, edited 2 times in total.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: The common bound between fly fishermen

Post by DrLogik »

John,

Really excellent story. You hit on something that we all share but don't seem to talk much about. Yes, I agree, fly fishermen share a common bond. Bamboo fishermen though, share it on a different level, almost like an informal brotherhood I have found.

I hope you and that fellow can share some stream time together. Would love to hear a full report!

Grant

wefishcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wefishcane »

In all my years I've only met one fisherman on the water casting a bamboo rod. We met one evening on Slough Creek below the campground. You know him as Third Meadow and a finer gentleman you will never meet. I will always remember as dusk settled along the stream a hatch started and the stream came alive. I climbed up the bank and watched him take one cutthroat after another. The pure joy of that evening will never be forgotten.

Jim

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: The common bond between fly fishermen

Post by WiFlyFisher »

wefishcane wrote:In all my years I've only met one fisherman on the water casting a bamboo rod. We met one evening on Slough Creek below the campground. You know him as Third Meadow and a finer gentleman you will never meet. I will always remember as dusk settled along the stream a hatch started and the stream came alive. I climbed up the bank and watched him take one cutthroat after another. The pure joy of that evening will never be forgotten.

Jim
"Third Meadow" -- Jim, you mean PhilA from Wisconsin? (He loves cutts, Slough Creek, Driftless trout streams, hackle hording and bamboo fly rods.)

sagegrouse715
Guide

Post by sagegrouse715 »

John, great thoughts. Was the fisherman you encountered by chance from MN?

PhilA
Guide

Post by PhilA »

wefishcane wrote:In all my years I've only met one fisherman on the water casting a bamboo rod. We met one evening on Slough Creek below the campground. You know him as Third Meadow and a finer gentleman you will never meet. I will always remember as dusk settled along the stream a hatch started and the stream came alive. I climbed up the bank and watched him take one cutthroat after another. The pure joy of that evening will never be forgotten.

Jim
A little birdie of Wisconsin whispered in my ear that I should visit this thread...

Sixteen years. Where oh where did they go? On a warm windless evening in July 2004, I fished lower Slough Creek as daylight faded to dusk, and dusk faded to darkness. Evenings on Slough are truly magical. They are totally silent, save for the occasional cackle of a water bird or rise of a trout. Among such beauty and solitude, it is a place to contemplate the universe and humbly think about its meaning. But first, there are fine trout to be caught.

This particular evening in 2004 was one of the best, for it included a chance encounter with Jim H. ("wefishcane") in the fading light. Casual anglers had departed for their cocktails and dinners, leaving only us disciples of Temple Slough. Jim and I were total strangers, but Jim carried an 8 foot Winston 5wt bamboo, and I toted an 8 foot Charlie Jenkins 5wt. (I think that was the rod; I only owned two bamboo rods at the time.) That was sufficient for a conversation, and a friendship quickly followed, begun by our fondness for bamboo and reverence for the meadows of Slough Creek. 'Twas truly was a wonderful and fortunate evening.

Jim, I've returned to YNP and the greater Yellowstone area almost every year since we met. It's akin to salmon returning to their natal stream or swallows to Mission San Juan Capistrano. It's simply a necessary part of life. Second and third meadow are now a bit more than my knees can tolerate, but Elixir of lower Slough and Balm of Soda Butte remain intensely therapeutic.

I hope that all is well with you and the family. Our kids have grown up, we're grandparents, I've retired, and I'm lovin' it. Instead of two week camping trips to MT/WY, we now take 3-4 week trips. And, large numbers of Wisconsin trout need my attention. It's a full time job! Life is good, and the bamboo rods are heavenly.

Best regards,
Phil
(ThirdMeadow in a former life here)

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

John... I would come at this, respond differently... I don't think it's necessarily what one fishes or where, but it's the love of rivers, and a willingness to do something when favorite ones are threatened... in recent years I've witnessed too many anglers caught up in social media, on cellphones when a hatch starts---calling buddies to really crowd "the spot"... that don't seem to appreciate just standing in water and waving a stick, like like John Gierach wrote about... one of the best paragraphs I ever read about fishing is the last paragraph in Roderick Haig-Brown's book, A River Never Sleeps... I think there's a certain respect and love of rivers, and wild fish, that bonds real anglers above all else.... It's a spirit that authors like Haig-Brown, and John Voelker, among others, displayed in their works, that seems to be missing these days, IMO...

Ed

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

sagegrouse715 wrote:John, great thoughts. Was the fisherman you encountered by chance from MN?
Yes, Duane is from MN and drove back down after our meeting on the river.

wefishcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wefishcane »

Phil,
I've often thought of our chance meeting that evening on Slough and hoped we might meet again. I too can no longer make that hike to the upper meadows but my boys are heading back this year and I'm sure it will be as good as it ever was. My fishing is now comprised of walking stream banks since a lack of balance and wading make a dangerous (and comical to watch) combination. Since I have always enjoyed stillwater fishing that has filled in nicely these last few years.

This is a milestone year for us since I turned 80 and we will be celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary. Our five children have generously given us 15 grandchildren and I am sure great grandchildren are right around the corner.

Your thought of contemplating the universe reminds me of a passage written by Joshua Liedman:

"We live today with the everlasting arms beneath us; we breathe, we eat, we walk, we think and dream, all because we are sustained by a universe greater than ourselves and preserved by a love beyond our fathoming."

My warmest regards to you and your wonderful wife whom I also had the privilege to meet on that occasion,

Jim

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Eperous wrote:John... I would come at this, respond differently... I don't think it's necessarily what one fishes or where, but it's the love of rivers, and a willingness to do something when favorite ones are threatened... in recent years I've witnessed too many anglers caught up in social media, on cellphones when a hatch starts---calling buddies to really crowd "the spot"... that don't seem to appreciate just standing in water and waving a stick, like like John Gierach wrote about... one of the best paragraphs I ever read about fishing is the last paragraph in Roderick Haig-Brown's book, A River Never Sleeps... I think there's a certain respect and love of rivers, and wild fish, that bonds real anglers above all else.... It's a spirit that authors like Haig-Brown, and John Voelker, among others, displayed in their works, that seems to be missing these days, IMO...

Ed
Ed, you are probably right. Although in this instance the cane is what sparked our initial conversation.

It is not always cane rods tho. I have made a lot of fly fishing friends on the river over the years and we all have a true respect for the river and our natural resources. Luckily, I have never witnessed calling buddies when the hatch starts and crowding together.

A few days ago a young fly fisher from upstate New York contacted me through social media. He is going out West for the first time staying at Campfire Lodge and wanted some advise. I gladly helped him with flies to tie, rivers to possibly fish and also mentioned to watch the news about YNP and MT. Also, some people and fly shops to contact.

As far as the other day goes, I ended up only making a couple of casts. A small caddis started to pop but the trout totally ignored them so I laid down my fly rod and went about trying to capture the emerging caddis. I would get the pupae in my insect net but before I could photograph the caddis pupa the adult instantly popped out of the shuck. I did get the adult though.

For years I have kept detailed notes and collected the insects found in the river. Thanks to the Internet I have luckily connected with a couple of aquatic entomologists. I place insect examples in small glass viles with 91% isopropyl alcohol and occasionally send them the glass viles to ID the caddis along with photos.

Although most people probably find me strange collecting the aquatic insects, but I do enjoy it.

John

Randyflycaster
Master Guide

Post by Randyflycaster »

In the movie, Fly Fishing in Yemen. the arab sheik best sums of fishing for me. To paraphrase, he says, there is a bond that unites all anglers, a bond that transcends religion, race, and income.

What I do not like about wade fishing in western Montana is that I almost never meet other anglers. How I miss fishing the Beaverkill and meeting anglers from as far away as Texas.

Randy

rasnickr
Guide

Post by rasnickr »

I think the river presents the perfect place to judge a man's character.
Why the really good fishing friends that I have; have all been met on the river.
I enjoy meeting folks and talking about things in common and I have learned things from complete strangers and I hope that I returned the favor to some.
The rod I use doesn't connect me but the river and the fish do. A man's character is really amplified throwing a flyrod and standing in a river.
Some fly fishermen that I have met I would give my last fly to. Others, I wouldn't open my fly box for.
rick

sagegrouse715
Guide

Post by sagegrouse715 »

I met Duane on the same stream about 45 years ago. And as you stated, he is a serious collector of bamboo. He is a class act and always a pleasure to see.

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

John,

Thanks for this little "diddy" you shared here and brought my attention to.

You are so correct in all you said about the joys of this sport and it reminds me of that oft-quoted phrase that I can't recall the author of..."Many men fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after!" Not sure I entirely agree with that but for the most part it's certainly true.

In my little circle of friends, many who have introduced me to other friends and so on and so on, I have been lucky to meet a few who have made a huge difference in my fly fishing life. Duane is one of them! I'm darned lucky to have come across him. An excellent caster as you'd mentioned and is among a small handful of guys who have such an intimate knowledge of this sport that it makes the head spin!

Glad you two ran into each other and shared some gossip. It's one of the many benefits of such a wonderful sport. I really can't think of anything I love more than what handling a fine bamboo rod, standing in a nice piece of water with a good friend who gives you some space (fishing now, not that Covid crap!) and casting to those dimples or "circles"/rises on top!! It's just heaven!!

Kool post John. Glad you two made that acquaintance!! I reached out to Duane this morning from your message and we had a fine yak. I don't do that near enough!! I got an identical fishing report too... He's no B.S.'er either.

Jeremy.

PhilA
Guide

Post by PhilA »

John,
Duane is a quietly influential guy in bamboo circles of the upper midwest. Quite a lot of quality bamboo passes through Duane's and his good friend Jay J.'s hands, including the 8' Charlie Jenkins rod I mentioned above. I bought it from Duane via Jay many years ago. It is a sweet and beautiful rod ... softer and slower than some other Jenkins rods I've cast. I usually fish it with a 5wt line, but it handles a 4wt also. I tend to fish shorter lighter rods in the Driftless, but the Jenkins gets a lot of stream time out west. Duane and Jay, if you see this, the glamour photos below show that the rod is still going strong...

John, I guess this all goes to show that either (i) the network of bamboo anglers is really quite small, or (ii) you know everyone!

Cheers,
PhilA

Morten

Post by Morten »

Really enjoyed your story WiFlyFisher, thanks for sharing it with us.

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Ironically, I have never been involved with the Upper Midwest inner bamboo circle. I have only heard of it from various fly fishermen I have met at Midwest fly fishing shows, across the Internet or on my home waters in the NW corner. Jay J. actually bought a fly rod from me that I posted on the classified section here, but we have never met.

When our kids were young I left the corporate world and I started my own business that I still have today. (Although i am starting to wind it down now. The effects of the virus on businesses is actually helping me slow down.) I worked 7 days a week and easily 12 hours a day building the business. It was the new age of the Internet and I was determined to support my family and not return to the corporate world. Although at the time I still fly fished I had to limit my precious time and buying anything for me. If it wasn't for Eric I may have never acquired my first bamboo fly rod. Trying his bamboo fly rods is what got me interested. Plus, my love for the sport, traditions, history and anything hand made.

Today, in the pouring rain I used a Thramer 8 ft. 4wt hollowbuilt I got from Eric. It is my favorite Spring fly rod for the mayfly and caddis hatches on my home waters.

I was the only crazy SOB on the river today. Forty-eight degrees and raining was not ideal conditions, but I had voice inside me say "Go!" and another voice inside saying to me "Are you crazy?". In my younger years I would have been on the river all day regardless of the weather. I took my GSP this afternoon for a 4-1/2 mile walk in the rain along the national forest roads and returned thinking I am already wet so I might as well go practice social distancing with the river as my old friend. I figured some of the trout would still be keying in on Hendricksons and my comparadun soaked in the rain worked great. Not another sole around which is often the case for me.

John

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

The places where water comes together with other water. Those places stand out in my mind like holy places. Raymond Carver

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

I've never had that happen when I meet another fly fisherman carrying a plastic rod! Fishing bamboo is the greatest thing since sliced bread!

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Beyond the bond that flyfishers have -- the simple and plain love of water and of trout fishing -- is our particular and whacky bond of bamboo fibers. Boy, once you got those boys in yr hide they seem to fascinate forever. It can become more than allure, it can become obsessive. Don't mind the aluminum tubes, they're ah, conduit, yeah that's it, in case I need to build a fleet of B-17s to bomb them Moldavians back to the Stone Age.

So, we are more elite than regular elite, we are beyond the beyond. We are the sickest puppies on the water.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”