The common bond between fly fishermen

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

GMflyf1sh
Guide

Re: The common bond between fly fishermen

Post by GMflyf1sh »

10 or 15 years ago I ran into Ron Barch on the Madison. I had one of my one piece talbots. We spent a few minutes talking and I bought copies of the Planning Form from him out of the back of his vehicle....Bamboo is a conversation starter.

Gregg

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

The late Dr. Phil Snyder and Art Warner met one day along a stream in Southern California, noticing they both were with cane rods. The two became close friends. Their lists were done on typewriters, included a nice essay to begin that Phil would write, usually something a little sentimental in nature. They were sent out in the mail, and eagerly awaited by many of us. A board member who's left here gave me the entire collection. Very fun to thumb through, rods of all sorts, reels too, and various items of angling interest.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

I think Moldavians (Moldavia is now part of Romania) would take issue with being bombed back to the Stone Age by products from the Tube Alloys Project. They do have fly fishing for trout in Romania (https://www.transylvaniaflyfishing.com/) But, the Ruritanians could care less. ;)

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Ruritanians, Rastafarians, what’s the diff? An’ them Rastas are already in the stone age.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

What's the diff? OMG Ruritania is a KINGDOM with an ancient and respected history, much has been written of it. Wars have been fought. No dope, slivowitz is the drink of choice.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130621144 ... _Ruritania

Rockthief
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Rockthief »

My experience is that grass fishers are classy people.

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

As i pull up to the river the other day another truck pulls up beside me. He gets out thinking my white truck was someone else. Anyway, we begin talking and he makes bamboo fly rods and is a member of the Classic Fly Rod Forum. In all my many years fly fishing in NW WI I have never run into so many Classic FF''ers / bamboo fly rodders up here, and they all have been great conversations too.

John

stoneflyer
Master Guide

Post by stoneflyer »

I think the fly fisherman bond stems from the fact that it takes a certain kind of person to believe that an inordinate amount of time and energy is worth devoting to learning how to trick a trout into thinking he is eating a bug. When you see someone else that "gets it," we feel bonded. The even smaller subset that thinks this endeavor is best done with bamboo is further brothered.

Adam

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”