Dressing Fly Line Flip Pallot Style

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Dressing Fly Line Flip Pallot Style

Post by Loogie »

I am not much for cleaning my lines, but I may try this tip from Flip. Has anyone else tried using food grade silicone spray on their lines? Does it help with the fly line shooting? Curious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... =emb_title

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Dressing Fly Line Flip Pallot Style

Post by bassman »

The problem with dressing with food quality spray is the bluegills keep coming up and nibbling on the flyline. I've had'em darn near eat all the plastic right off the line.

I'm also selling a couple of bridges I own.

Random Casts
Master Guide

Post by Random Casts »

I believe that Flip had a product line called Fly Line Express (I think) which was available in most retailers in south Florida. It was a spray that came in an attractive silver container. I was never a fly line cleaner though. After cleaning your line just reel up and spray the line on the reel and leave it. The product migrated up the line leaving a slick coat.

The same applied when your line got sticky from salt while fishing. You just ran your line through a cloth to dry it, reel up and spray. It was a great temporary fix.

You still needed to do your regular line maintenance.

I believe that what Flip is advocating in the video is what that product was under another name.

If you are cleaning your fly line on a ceramic tile or hardwood floor, do not spray any of this product indoors. You will be in a world of hurt until the silicone wears off.

Richard
Random Casts

galt
Master Guide

Post by galt »

FWIW,

Silicone can be problematic if it cones time to re-varnish a rod. It can be very difficult to remove and can cause 'fisheyes'.

Galt
Know the reasons for your actions

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

If you want to shoot your fly line out a long way, use Armorall (spelling)on it. The Mfg'er's say that they won't warranty a fly line that has had it used on it. But, I bought some liquid line dressing once, and it looked and smelled just like Armorall. It would really let the fly line fly!

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

DUCKMANNM wrote:If you want to shoot your fly line out a long way, use Armorall (spelling)on it. The Mfg'er's say that they won't warranty a fly line that has had it used on it. But, I bought some liquid line dressing once, and it looked and smelled just like Armorall. It would really let the fly line fly!

"OK" It's "ArmorAll". :) Anyway, I've been using ArmorAll for over forty years on my lines three or four times each season. Never had any issues whatsoever. And yes, it makes that line shoot like a pro. Just soak a clean cloth and run the line through it a few times. The first time or two will show some soil. Then it will come through clean a time or two. Then she' ready to go!

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

If I were going to use something like ArmorAll I would opt for 303, to me it's a better product.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”