Lockdown Reading

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Mahseer
Guide

Lockdown Reading

Post by Mahseer »

I’m in lockdown in Wales, where most fishing is closed. We can only fish locally and I have to climb 1,000 feet to my nearest trout lake.

I’m entertaining myself reading several years worth of The Fishing Gazette from the 1930s, lent by a neighbor, which makes for an angling time machine. This seasonal advertisement is from early June 1939.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Lockdown Reading

Post by DrLogik »

Old fly fishing magazine are a hoot to read for sure!

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

As long as the 1000 foot climb is not up vertical and sheer rock.. sounds like it could be a welcome excursion at this time…Jon Beer, who wrote for Trout & Salmon magazine (UK) would have lapped it up..

This ex pat 'all-rounder' would turn to the likes of 'BB' and Bernard Venables for comfort. In the case of the former- 'A Celebration' compiled by Tom Quinn. The latter, Bernard Venables - The Illustrated Memoirs of a Fisherman is well worth the read, comfort reading being the name of this game.

Malcolm

Mahseer
Guide

Post by Mahseer »

Oh I’ve made the climb this week (though found I could get halfway in an SUV). Not having been up there for many years, this was more of a reconnaissance to find a better approach. There were caddis the size of Chinook helicopters skating the surface and dropping to lay eggs. But only one trout was rising and I could only cast to it directly into the sun, so no hope of detecting a take to a dry fly. But I enjoyed the hike and the casting.

The spot-on book for this is Ian Niall’s Trout from the Hills, which serendipitously emerged from the storage box where it has lain for the last 10 years as I populated my new bookshelves.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

at this point in time, we all need a good dose of Patrick McManus!!

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

Lessee . . . I've done rereads of all my Gierach books (just as good the 2nd time around), Corey Ford(likewise), some Hemingway and Steinbeck, the newest CJ Box, Long Range, a Grisham I found I'd missed when it was issued and about 4 Alex Berensons along with a couple of Steve Berry books and a couple of Dan Browns. Not a helluva lot else to do when you're in the "high risk" population of being older and have an "at risk" immune system courtesy of cancer treatment. Makes the six miles on the exercise bike go a little faster too. Wish I wasn't such a fast reader.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

thorsma
Sport

Post by thorsma »

anyone else a Patrick O'Brian fan?

Mahseer
Guide

Post by Mahseer »

thorsma wrote:
05/29/20 13:43
anyone else a Patrick O'Brian fan?
Well, having read and enjoyed the entire Aubrey-Maturin canon, and seen the movie, I guess I must count.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”