On Stream Magnifying Glasses

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

mdwwhw
Guide

Re: On Stream Magnifying Glasses

Post by mdwwhw »

An online shop, Readers.com, sells polarized sunglasses with clear inserts at magnifications between 1 and 3x. I use 2.5. They look odd, but I wont be without mine on the water, nor will several friends. They are also in the $25.00 price range; making their loss not so bad.

No financial relationship to the company. Pre cataract surgery I walked off and left a pair of prescription sunglasses sitting on a gravel bar. That hurt.

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

My ancient Orvis glasses have magnifiers at the bottom. No changing glasses etc.

I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

+1 on the C+F threader, they make a great little tool which is a tweezer with 3 interchangeable sizes of threader and a hook eye spike built in.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

C&F THREADER
+1 Completely agree. When they first came out my reaction was, "Pffft...a gimmick". Then my arms got too short while tying small flies onto 6x tippet at dawn and dusk. The C&F threaders are the real deal during low light when you have to change flies fast.

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

I tried those flip down specs once and it seemed like I couldn't hold anything close enough, or far enough away to make them work. Now I carry them in a plastic bag with some tinder items in case I need to build an emergency fire! I also carry a really thin bobbin threader to get the tippet through the eye of the hooks. Not the kind you use for fly tying, but the old thin metal one that seamstresses use. You used to get them free when you bought a lot of thread. As I recall, they also came in miniature sewing kits. Can't believe how much more fishing time I have now since I started using that threader.

I was at a Trout Unlimited Banquet where Skip Morris was the Program Speaker, and when he started talking about fishing with size 24 and smaller flies in tailwaters. I must've of gasped or something because he asked me if I had trouble seeing tiny flies. He thought I was trying to be funny when I asked him who was going to tie them on the leader for me.

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

I've tried several things, but the hat brim magnifiers are by far the easiest and best for me. I like the fact I can just flip it up and out of the way when I'm finished tying on a tippet or fly.

Wild Skies
Guide

Post by Wild Skies »

I've been using these OPTX 20/20 Hydrotac Stick-on Bifocal Lenses since the dark ages. They're very convenient, work great and are easily switched them from one pair of glasses to another. I've never lost one, but if I would, I'd order them again in a heartbeat.
https://www.amazon.com/20-Hydrotac-Stic ... JT3QW1PF30
Wild Skies
Since 1951

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

mdwwhw wrote:
08/27/20 21:01
An online shop, Readers.com, sells polarized sunglasses with clear inserts at magnifications between 1 and 3x. I use 2.5. They look odd, but I wont be without mine on the water, nor will several friends. They are also in the $25.00 price range; making their loss not so bad.

No financial relationship to the company. Pre cataract surgery I walked off and left a pair of prescription sunglasses sitting on a gravel bar. That hurt.
Readers.com is having a 40% off labor Day Sale. I just bought a pair of polarized sunglasses with clear inserts at 1.5X magnification for $8.99. With shipping and CA sales tax, the total cost was just under $14. Not bad. If I find it too difficult to use bifocals, I can just go back to regular polarized sunglasses along with a pair of 1.5X reading glasses in a vest pocket.

And great tip about clipping the tippet at an angle. Will definitely have to try that!
Brian

Sharf

Post by Sharf »

I really like the Nooz Optical readers because they are flat and in a hard case. Great for throwing in a pocket when we use to be able to go to restaurants, too.

I also use stick on magnification lenses that I can add to non-prescription sunglasses.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Hat Eyes. But I'm still struggling. May have to send for the stronger version.

Marterius
Master Guide

Post by Marterius »

I asked my optician to get me a monocle in the same strength as my reading glasses. It was very easily done. I have it in a lanyard around my neck and keep it in a pocket in my west. I took the idea from my Father who used to have a monocle when sailing, for reading sea charts. Works like a charm!

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I use cheap 4x or 5x readers on cheap Croakies. I won't put up with not seeing........

Jay Edwards

hopkintoncane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by hopkintoncane »

+3 on the cheap reading glasses, on a loose lanyard tucked under my fishing shirt so they don't swing around when not in use, I did try the bifocal polarized fishing glasses and while they work great for bass fishing and big hooks etc, I found there was just too much squinting through those small magnifying lenses, so much easier with a full pair of readers especially in low light conditions, at least thats what works for me. Todd

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”