On Stream Magnifying Glasses

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

I need suggestions. This is the first year out West I was really struggling threading my tippets through size #20- #24 hook eyes. I am looking for recommendations for magnifying glasses that help old eyes threading the tippet through the tiny hook eyes while fishing.

Note: I do wear regular glasses, but not bifocals.

Thanks!

John

Bud
Master Guide

Re: On Stream Magnifying Glasses

Post by Bud »

I like the 3.0 clics.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

If you don’t like stuff on your neck because you are already using a lanyard, I can recommend Flex Spex.

https://www.flexspex.com

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

I crossed over this bridge a long time ago. There are a number of manufactures who make hat brim mounted flip down magnifiers. They have all served me well. From my experiences;

1) You do not need the highest power magnification. I thought , "yea get the 3.0X ones!!!", "Not". I think I currently operate very well with the 2.25X.
2) Your hat brim needs to be at the correct position so you can easily flip them down at the correct focal length and then back up. You may have to get a different hat.
3) If you wear cocoon type overlay sunglasses, there may be some interference issues to resolve.
4) Get the ones with a positive attachment. The ones that slide on an off with the integral plastic clip can get pulled off walking through the woods AND the clip eventually breaks! The ones that have the push thru pin and clasp I found the clasp goes missing time to time. When up they should be protected UNDER the brim of your hat.
5) They are going to scratched up over time so be prepared to replace them every three years or so.
6) They will get covered with anything you have on your fingers while fishing. You fingers will be on the lenses every time you use them. Carry a handkerchief to do the once an hour clean off program.
7)Yes, I tried the ones that mount to your glasses. The hat brim ones won out a decade ago.
8)You do not need to have another thing hanging around your neck, to get hung up on something or the like. On the brim, they are easily accessible, there when you need them and quickly gone when not.

Just some thoughts.

Carl @ Wanigas Rod Company

reelytrout
Master Guide

Post by reelytrout »

+1 on the hat brim magnifiers. In my opinion they work great with a slightly longer hat brim. Another bonus is there is no need to remove your sunglasses or regular glasses when these mags are in use.

Bud
Master Guide

Post by Bud »

I liked the hat brim specs too but I kept breaking them and changed to the clics

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Many people know this already, but for those that don't, clipping your tippet at an angle really helps in stabbing small tippet through small eyes and large tippet through large eyes. It also makes it easier to penetrate any materials that may be crowding the eye. One of the best streamside tips that I have ever learned, 30+ years ago.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

That’s what Spex Flex differs from the ones that attach to the tip of the hat and has a fixed angle. The flexible legs of Spex Flex you can adjust to any angle you need so you don’t have to angle the position of your head/hat to have the correct view
carl otto wrote:2) Your hat brim needs to be at the correct position so you can easily flip them down at the correct focal length and then back up. You may have to get a different hat.

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

Hateyes? I have three pairs, one for fly tying, one for general work, and one for fishing, in the field. All semi-permanently attached to different caps/hats...

Not sure if the FlexSpex would work if you already wear regular prescription glasses...

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

Stick a pair of high power reading glasses in you vest

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

Didn't care for the magnifiers on my hat brim, just don’t seem to work for me. I clip them to my fly vest pocket and flip tehm up when I need them.

chugbug
Guide

Post by chugbug »

Webfly wrote:
08/26/20 08:05
clipping your tippet at an angle
The skies have just parted for me.

Serpentine
Guide

Post by Serpentine »

Reading glasses in the shirt pocket works for me . Get a couple of needle threaders , dirt cheap and really easy to use .

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

henkverhaar wrote:Not sure if the FlexSpex would work if you already wear regular prescription glasses...
No problem. Just adjust where you want to clip on your hat

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Clics hanging around my neck is my first choice. Second choice are the Fisherman's Eyewear Slim Visions, in my shirt pocket.

I wish I could get used to bifocal RX glasses, but I find them treacherous: looking down at my feet in tricky wading or walking, everything is fuzzy.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

I wear Rx glasses and have the optometrist make specialized bi-focals for me. I request the magnifier portion in the corner to be as small as possible for the given lens. I also have them mark the lens with a Sharpie to see if it obstructs my vision too much when walking.
I'm not reading, I just need to thread a hook. This works probably 9 times out of 10 for me. For those other times, usually low light conditions, I use the hat-type flip-down magnifiers.

Sandan
Guide

Post by Sandan »

My Rudy Project shades have reader lenses at the bottom of the lens. Smith and Costa have 'em also. No changing glasses, fumbling for glasses. In fact the Rudy's have interchangeable lenses, all w/ readers so you can change 'em depending on light conditions. Of course they're polarized too.

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Thank you for all the suggestions. I guess I will have to try a couple and see what works best for me.

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

I remember seeing a nice little flip up magnifier that Hardy produced years ago. Seems like the perfect solution to clip to a vest. Will have to look for a small magnifying glass that I can dicker with.

greyreefer5
Guide

Post by greyreefer5 »

C&F THREADER

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”