The Snook are Back!

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

The Snook are Back!

Post by Loogie »

We have a place in Sanibel, close to where Brown Bear lived. 2018/19 was rough due to bad environmental policies of releasing water in large waves on the Caloosahatchee, red tide killed a bunch of fish. Better policies of a steady release from Okechobee have had a better effect. This week I even had a 30”+ Snook get eaten by a 5’ Bullshark! It was early morning on a mangrove line, I could hear the fish eating bait. A slight breeze from behind, the boat about 50’ from the mangrove, a perfect cast that dropped the shiny streamer in a slot with a whisper. Two strips and then a large Snook materialized from nowhere, inhaled the fly. A strip set, and then the battle to pull him away from the mangrove. It is so addictive my friends...anyway I had the Snook away and then I saw the Bullshark swimming under the Snook, I tried to drag him away but the taxman took his dues. Left me nothing but a large snook front end. It was a wonderful morning of large Snook, my stripping finger is burned from a week of chasing Robalos, and my shoulders sore from poling.

I have finally decided to name my un-named boat, “Into The Backing”, it finally came to me.

Didn’t have much time for pics, but my friend took a nice one.

Doug K
Master Guide

Re: The Snook are Back!

Post by Doug K »

excellent news, thank you..
I was wondering about longterm effects of those red tides, happy to hear the fish have moved back in..

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Very good. No size 14 spinners for those guys.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

Sounds like allot of fun. People miss out when they don't give saltwater fly fishing a chance. Snook have some shoulders on them. A Puerto Rican snook I caught a couple of years ago.

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

Nice Snook Mike!! I bet it put up a good fight!

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

I bet it put up a good fight!
I was in Puerto Rico and had actually planned on tarpon fishing. The guide was very excited about these large snook that were hanging outside the lagoon in the ocean east of the city. Apparently uncommon, it's interesting what excites a local compared to a tourist. As I said, they have some shoulder but I don't recall them being leapers (got maybe 1/2 dozen or so).

There are so many different aspects to fly fishing, from technical match the hatch trout fishing to marathon fights with large saltwater species like tarpon or billfish. You seem to have access to it all. Enjoy

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Loogie, a place on Sanibel, you are a very lucky man!
mlarocco, awesome snook - your guide was right to target Snook in that class!
Bravo all around.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”