Jim Beasley associate

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

lightheart7

Jim Beasley associate

Post by lightheart7 »

This is Laura Beasley (Lockett Yaros). My father was Jim Beasley, bamboo fly rod builder from Tennessee. My brother Trey lives in Birmingham, AL and sold Daddy's rods occasionally to Charles Gaines and some "Chilean Billionaire" whose handlers bought the rod in a "freaky wire transfer." Trey found a long forgotten rod that Daddy made as a spec rod to show clients and gave it to me. It is a beautiful 6'3" Midge 4 weight with fabricated aluminum rings that Daddy turned on his metal lathe and blued, and wood at the top and bottom of the reel seat that he turned himself, as opposed to the single ring and butt cap that "some guy up North" made. Does anyone know who "some guy up North" may be?

Titelines
Administrator

Re: Jim Beasley associate

Post by Titelines »

Possibly Tony Larson, or maybe Dave Norling?

Mark

dqatar
Guide

Post by dqatar »

Laura, How is your Father I have a few of his Rods too one of the best rod makers around before retirement

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Dqatar, Jim sadly passed away at 81 on March 28th this year. I believe he was a very fine man - and certainly very skilled at the bench.

I’m sorry for your family’s loss Laura. “Up North” from Tennessee covers a lot of ground, but I hope you are somehow able to find out who built your dad’s cap and ring seats.
-

16parachuteadams
Master Guide

Post by 16parachuteadams »

Laura I believe your Dad told me that Norling was going to supply them for him. He used a large set initially and a much smaller set the last few years on lighter rods. Walt Carpenter would probably know for sure.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”