Hardy Creel Identification & Information

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Celtic
Sport

Hardy Creel Identification & Information

Post by Celtic »

Hi,
I have a Hardy Creel (I think it is the "Carry All") and am hoping to get some information on when it was made, the maker, how many were made, etc.

The brass hasp has some interesting marks stamped on it which may provide a clue. I was wondering if there are production and sales records similar to the way in which Hardy reels are recorded?

Any help would be appreciated.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Hardy Creel Identification & Information

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Cool creel! Though I can't help answer your questions..

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

I emailed Ward Tonsfeldt dvarden1903@gmail.com about a creel I have and he was very kind to respond with info on it. Might give him a try.
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

The Hugh Chatham and Dan McClain book, "The Art of the Creel" confirms that your Hardy creel is called the Carry-All, with the top section for supplies and the hole goes through to the bottom section for the fish. (p. 140-41). However, perhaps Hardy's best known creel was the "Perfect," with a net on the outside for extra carrying space. According to the book, Hardy also sold the "Houghton," which came in different sizes had extra long leather straps over the top for carrying a jacket or raincoat.

chsparkman
Master Guide

Post by chsparkman »

headwaters wrote:
09/14/20 11:29
The Hugh Chatham and Dan McClain book, "The Art of the Creel" confirms that your Hardy creel is called the Carry-All, with the top section for supplies and the hole goes through to the bottom section for the fish. (p. 140-41). However, perhaps Hardy's best known creel was the "Perfect," with a net on the outside for extra carrying space. According to the book, Hardy also sold the "Houghton," which came in different sizes had extra long leather straps over the top for carrying a jacket or raincoat.
Thanks for this reference. I'm interested in making creels so this book will be a nice resource. I just ordered one.
...as for us we pin our faith and fealty to the silk-wound PENTAGONAL rod cunningly yet simply devised of its FIVE subtle, individual triangular strips of cane throughout...

Holden, George Parker. (modified by me) Idyl of the Split Bamboo

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Awesome creel, I love it. Is the hasp to lock the fish in, or to keep your fishing partner from stealing your lunch?

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I found this photo in an 1892 Hardy catalog.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”