Fly Patch for Vest?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

tiptop
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Fly Patch for Vest?

Post by tiptop »

I've been using the C&F Design fly protector for more than 10 years and love it. It has a sturdy safety pin type mount on the back. The flexible plastic cover easily opens and closes and protects the flies from being brushed off by foliage. The flies are held by slit foam - same as their boxes. It's recommended for small flies but will hold size size 10 easily or even the occasional wooly bugger.

timberandfins

Post by timberandfins »

ibookje wrote:
09/17/20 14:16
I just love the look of a sheep skin patch. And it works wonderfully well too.

Not sure where to get one these days
Hey! My name is David-Alexandre, I’m the owner of a small fly fishing company called Timber&fins. We started making some fly patch out of leather and sheepskin. All made by hand in our Montreal, Canada workshop. Here is the link:

https://timberandfins.com/collections/w ... /fly-patch

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

One that I can recommend Not to try is the Brook Silicone with the aluminum back plate that attaches with Velcro to your vest. First off, the velcro wouldn't stay on my vest and my wife used carpet thread and needle to hand stitch it securely. Secondly, it's heavy and not easy to get your flies nestled into the slots located under the raised dimples. To top it off, I've lost as many flies as I did with my 20 plus year old wool patch that had run the course. Results may vary depending on your usage but that's my experience.

Bamboo River
Guide

Post by Bamboo River »

I got some from Amazon searching sheepskin patch.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

I could not get by without my C&F designs MFA fly patch. It’s basically a small fly box. I fill it up with the flies I really need for the day and then occasionally top it off from my other boxes as needed. It has 6 magnets and foam on top for drying flies. It’s one of the most important pieces of fly fishing equipment I own as it save me a lot of time digging for flies out of boxes. It attaches with a built in safety pin.

I can’t stand sheep skin and foam patches lost too many flies off of them. In a pinch I’ll dry them on my hat. At least they usually stay put there.

John

RaspberryPatch
Guide

Post by RaspberryPatch »

I went magnetic a long time ago, and rarely lose a fly now. So simple.

I have also carried a plastic modified case that is used to ship large ICs. If the flies are big, I will slip them into this blue box, when i am changing flies. So it is easy to keep wet flies isolate to dry once I am off the water.

Brier549
Guide

Post by Brier549 »

Best one ever made , unfortunately almost impossible to find anymore.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”