Two things I've learned about bamboo!

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Two things I've learned about bamboo!

Post by kermit »

Two things I've learned about working with bamboo! Keep a good set of tweezers handy and a box of Bandaids .... I can't recommend these gloves enough as recommended by Tim Anderson https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012 ... UTF8&psc=1 but things happen...
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Two things I've learned about bamboo!

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Can you say MRSA? Those long splinter can touch a bone in your/my finger. Apparently that can increase the risk of MRSA or probably other infections. Can you say Vancomycin and Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter (PICC Line)? Careful, it ain't fun, it takes time and can have lingering effects.

Jay Edwards

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Cringe reading that Jay. Starting with a simple cat scratch (as far as we know) I had it infect first one leg below the kne, then the other one. Multiple anti-biotics to treat and last resort was an IV drip but got it before that step. Now my legs are permanently discolored below the knee and sensitive to touch and pop sudden nerve pain out of nowhere. Resistant bacteria are a serious threat and if bamboo makes it more possible take all means to be careful with the splinters.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

Those gloves are better than using finger cots. I don't plane without them. Lessons learned. I also don't split culms without workgloves until I'm down to the final splits where I need more dexterity instead of protection. I left a hunk of skin on a culm once. Lesson learned #2

Doug K
Master Guide

Post by Doug K »

we had a stand of bamboo in our back yard in S. Africa.
When Dad put in the swimming pool, my brother and I made a diving board out of the thicker culms, tied together.
Worked great for about 3 dives, then it fractured and I went through, picking up a deep cut in the fleshy part of the knee. It was Africa, so we put a bandaid on it (though it needed stitches). Luckily it bled a lot which presumably flushed out all the potential infections..
That 2" scar is still clearly visible today, 50 years later..

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

Kermit! I fondly recall the week end (in California)that me and some friends used to make our first bamboo blank, under the tutelage of the late Ralph Moon. We didn't have enough finger cots to go around, so I worked without them. After finding my fingers bleeding, I stopped and wrapped all my fingers and thumbs with Duct Tape. Ralph took some video of me planeing (Spelling) bamboo strips with the "improvised" finger cots. Wish I had the video now, instead of just the fond memories. Ralph was a perfect Grandfather type not only to me, but everyone who was there that weekend. I still fish that rod every now and again just to relive the memories of making the rod blank, and eating those gigantic potatoes that Ralph brought down from Idaho! I really miss ole Ralph! He was one of the finest men I have ever met!

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

This little guy comes in very handy. Gets out those tiny splinters that can be a real PITA

mumblemoon

Post by mumblemoon »

Thank you for the kind words of my papa Ralph I loved him so much and miss him each and every day I learned everything from him and yes he even helped me make a rod when I was 15 years old and I do use that rod when I can there is no other 6wt rod that can make a dry fly land so soft on the river and still can throw a hopper or a small streamer

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”