Ephemera, my new little buddy

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Ephemera, my new little buddy

Post by jim royston »

Every once in a while I find one of these guys in my doorway. Probably from the little community pond across the Size 16/18. BWO I guess. No fishable hatches known in the Dallas area.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Ephemera, my new little buddy

Post by creakycane »

Body looks like an olive, wing looks speckled like a callibaetis. Find another, and we can call it a hatch!

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

As a lifelong Texan, I also know of no trout streams, or ponds, in the Dallas area! (You have to go to the Franklin Mts. north of El Paso to find native trout in Texas, and these are "suspect".) I have personally observed, on occasion, large numbers of very mice sized sunfish (bluegills?), aka, Texas Trout, hanging suspended in the water off the end of a dock in Lake Granbury (not too far west of Dallas) and actively feeding on emerging Hexagenia sp. Would be willing to bet yo a nice cup of coffee that more than one of the numerous reservoirs and ponds in and immediately around Dallas does hold "fishable" hatches, IF you are willing to fish for the the smaller species of centrarchids (the "sunfishes").

By the way: WELCOME TO TEXAS!!

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Not necessarily a hatch, but each winter from December through early March, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department stocks rainbow trout in more than 100 locations across Texas including Dallas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) posts their annual stocking schedule on their website, as well as making it available to all newspapers for their use. Their stocking program includes popular City Parks in many cities, as well as small local creeks. (The Dallas area should have numerous such stocking sites.)The TPWD also maintains a year around fishery for rainbow in the Guadalupe River above New Braunfels, TX. The Guadalupe River Chapter of Trout Unlimited (GRTU) maintains several "lease" access properties on the river for TU members only. Access to the river is limited due to the private ownership of the adjoining property. And Texans do take TRESPASS quite seriously!! The river supports decent hatches of grey drakes, tricos and Hexagenia in the trout yielding reaches, as well as caddis flies. Surprisingly, it is devoid of stoneflies.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

I've lived in Texas for 32 years. The fishing here does not excite me. I used to fish up on the Blue River near Tishimingo and every once in a while camp out at Presbyterian Falls on the Mountain Fork. I've tubed over the TU leased spots on the Guadalupe. IMHO, there is no good quality cold water fishery within hundreds of miles. I go to Colorado every summer and get it out of my system as best as I can
That being said, God Bless Texas, you couldn't drag me away from here.

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

My apologies! It has been my understanding that you until recently you resided in Washington State. Been here 79 years myself. You are right; there is no "good quality cold water fishery" in Texas. However, in my case, there is more to fly fishing than catching trout. A 12 inch bluegill on a fly rod can give a real "adrenalin rush", as can a nice channel catfish or jumping buffalo fish; or nice striper below Lake Texoma dam. My "fix" for coldwater has typically been to Wyoming. Ro each his own!

Regards!

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

I believe TX has great quality fishing, if you are willing to expand your horizons beyond Trout. For example the Guadalupe Bass in the Colorado that runs through Austin is a fabulous fishery. Those beasts will test anyone, I love floating that river and catching super aggressive gamefish on top water flies, or streamers, what's there not to love? How about the world class Redfish in the coast? There are also numerous streams that hold smallmouth and largemouth bass. How about the numerous lakes that have striper and Bass, these fish eat bugs and baitfish, a great target for flyrodders.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

I referred to cold water fishing. There is fishing all over the state. It just doesn't appeal to me.

bigfastfish

Post by bigfastfish »

I’m born/bred Texan whose lived overseas six times if you count New York, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania as three.

Got my first fly rod about 1957 - a fly/spin bamboo combo made in Japan. Level floating line, A tuna can type reel, 10# mono leader and mail order flies made the outfit. Fished local creeks (some big enough to be rivers elsewhere), the Texas Colorado, stock tanks, irrigation lakes for sun perch, bass, catfish (yes ... rubber worm about the size of a San Juan worm), and alligator gar (lucky I didn’t hook one). Never did use the spin pieces of that rod before I graduated to a Wright McGill fiberglass “Eagle Claw” 8’ rod. Jumping ahead about 50 years - I retired in the Texas Hill Country and was fishing a natural spring fed pond that fed the West Prong of the Medina River. Goal was to eliminate as many sun perch from the pond as I could. Using a Sage LL 3 wt I was happily - almost blindly hauling in these perch when suddenlyy I hung one on something - then it started to take out line😳 a large Rio Grand Bass was hungry for perch. I’ve also fly fished for redfish, snook, dorado (dolphin fish) and even tossed feathers at marlin). It ain’t all about salmonoids! When it gets real hot in Texas next summer And I’ve had a Covid vaccination I’ll drive north and start fishing for trout along about red river and fish my way all the way to the Canadian border😎👍🏼

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

I'm not throwing a pity party over the lack of coldwater fishing in Texas.
We have a second home in Quintana Roo where I chase bonefish, permit, tarpon, snook .....

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

Ahhh eastern Yucatan, very very niiice!

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”