USPS serious delays

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

drifly
Sport

USPS serious delays

Post by drifly »

Hello all, I just had a rod sent thru the USPS from CT to GA take 27 days to deliver. To say the PO is overwhelmed a bit between holidays and pandemic would be an understatement even with a dozen calls to their service center who really couldn’t offer any assistance. No intent to bash these guys but just to bring it to everyone’s attn here. Be patient and Happy Holidays!

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: USPS serious delays

Post by Hellmtflies »

Thank you for posting this. No worries. I have had a FF item en route for almost a month now from Virginia. Usually it takes about 3-4 days. I'm sure it will arrive sometime in the future. Assuming they all don't go "Postal". :)

KLNC
Guide

Post by KLNC »

Me too. Tracking indicates either strange movement between facilities or no movement at all. They are indeed overwhelmed it seems.
KLNC (formerly Spey Salar on the Forum)

tiptop
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by tiptop »

Absolutely this is the case. In the last 6 weeks I've mailed out 3 rods and am receiving 2 using USPS Priority. The ones I sent arrived in 7, 10, and 17 days. Neither of the two rods I'm receiving have arrived and one is at 17 days and the other at 10 days. The delays started before the Christmas rush but have gotten worse in the last couple weeks. Hopefully delivery times will improve after the holidays.

drifly
Sport

Post by drifly »

Yes this was supposed to be a priority shipment estimated 3 day delivery. The last 10 days their tracking website had it listed as in transit. Yesterday in a bit of frustration I asked to talk the customer service persons I was dealing with, supervisor who reluctantly informed me that they have trailer loads of mail that just aren’t getting unloaded and sitting in postal dc yards. I actually had a rod make it to Australia quicker. May want to hold off shipping until after the New Year.
Last edited by drifly on 12/17/20 18:58, edited 1 time in total.

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

Hellmtflies wrote:
12/17/20 16:52
Assuming they all don't go "Postal". :)
Some items we ordered recently came on time, others involving the U.S. Postal service seem to be lost... I have to believe all these folks are working hard and overwhelmed... plus now the Covid vaccine probably, and should, take top priority for UPS & FedEx... plus the Postal Service might still be looking for lost ballots from last November's election... :-\ Not trying to piss anyone off... I'll be waiting till after the holidays to pursue missing items...

Ed

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

Eperous wrote:
12/17/20 18:33
Hellmtflies wrote:
12/17/20 16:52
Assuming they all don't go "Postal". :)
Some items we ordered recently came on time, others involving the U.S. Postal service seem to be lost... I have to believe all these folks are working hard and overwhelmed... plus now the Covid vaccine probably, and should, take top priority for UPS & FedEx... plus the Postal Service might still be looking for lost ballots from last November's election... :-\ Not trying to piss anyone off... I'll be waiting till after the holidays to pursue missing items...

Ed
bwahahaha!!
:wave :wave :wave

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

It's a cluster ....! In Dallas, the backup of trucks just about closed down a freeway. I have a package, a reel that I bought here, somewhere between my home and the last known location, less that 15 miles from here. It left 4 days ago and shows no tracking after. Other things have arrived normally.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Walking on eggshells here...if anyone has at all been following the news since this summer should not be surprised by slow USPS deliveries. It's not the postal workers, it's how the department has been hamstrung thanks to the gamesmanship going on.

Leave your postal worker a nice gift for Christmas -- he/she deserves it.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Good point GerardH - you should be in the diplomatic corps

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

So checking with my local post office here in Bozangeles they advised that most of the packages that leave here are transferred to Fed Ex for shipping to distant locations. Sooo....knowing that Covid vaccines and X-mas packaging take priority there is no wonder that items will be delayed. We just all need to be patient. So I suggest we all take a deep breath, pour a tall one, sit back and relax. :)

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I donated some flies and gear to a Wounded Warriors in the western part of the state and they were supposed to arrive yesterday. No go. Fortunately they are not needed until spring. They'll get there eventually.
Last edited by PYochim on 12/19/20 22:40, edited 1 time in total.

Sandan
Guide

Post by Sandan »

Am I glad to see this thread. I've been waiting for a package delivery of tying materials that was slated for a 7 Dec delivery. Tracking says, "In transit" for the last 5 days. Patience is a virtue, I guess

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

Here's my story this week about USPS. Small $7 USPS box from coast to coast in two days . Hard to argue with that. And tracking was accurate daily when I checked . Just lucky l Guess

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Post by Vaughanwilson3022 »

I’ve had a few small packages delivered within a few days to NC from west coast - 2 rods now going on 2 weeks from midwest and west coast and no idea when they’ll arrive. Just have to be patient.

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by reelsmith »

My packages coming/going from coast-to-coast are making it in 3 or 4 days. But, to/from anywhere else delivery times vary greatly. One package making what would be a 6 hour drive had I delivered it myself, took 17 days.

Oddly enough, the items I have purchased from the UK recently have all been delivered in 6 to 7 days. It takes 4 to 5 days to go from the UK to NY, then 1 to 2 days to my house.

The USPS has the cards greatly stacked against them right now. I'm grateful they are still getting the job done.

Dean.

eotr
Guide

Post by eotr »

Could be worse - you could be depending on Canada :titanic Post.

Read the dates carefully ???

Brent

tabrods406
Guide

Post by tabrods406 »

I mailed a package to Sweden on 12/2/20. Two weeks later it was returned to me saying "insufficient postage" after spending that time in San Francisco Customs. I used the new click and ship First Class International, paid $24.50 and attached the form that printed out. Apparently it needed a "Q" code for the Postal Inspector to let it go which never printed out and he kicked it back. My PO guys said all he would have had to do was scan the bar code to find out it was paid for. Overworked or worse I'm out $24.50 and will have to fight with the USPS for a refund. Luckily Nico from Yamame Fly Rods bailed me out by sending a fly line to my customer.

Tom

Bill Terry
Guide

Post by Bill Terry »

I tied a batch of indestructible parachute flies for a guide friend in New Zealand, and I sent them via USPS back in July. It took three months for him to get them, and in all that time, there was only one tracking update, a couple of months after I sent them, when the package was scanned in Tokyo.
Ad piscatoribus sunt omnes res secundi.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

I'm sending a lower unit from motor back to FL and really have no recourse but to ship USP. I've had really good luck with them in past and realize the vaccines are taking priority over everything on flights and deliveries. The Pfizer vaccine is particularly bad since handling must stay way below zero from factory to your arm. If the new one Moderna gets it's approval it needs only refrigeration and will make distribution much easier. I have a pretty good lump of money coming back from lower unit but don't plan on it for Christmas presents.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”