USPS serious delays

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

mrriver
Sport

Re: USPS serious delays

Post by mrriver »

Things are much better now.

Dave in Maine
Guide

Post by Dave in Maine »

mrriver wrote:
02/02/21 16:01
Things are much better now.
No, they aren't.

I have a package still in the system. Mailed December 18 from Portland, to Carmel, IN (just outside Indianapolis). Still has not been delivered. Others mailed the same day arrived about 2 weeks late for Christmas, sometime around 1/13. 2 day Priority Mail, today is Day 55.

By way of comparison, the average gestation period of dogs and cats is 63 days.

At this rate, my friends might get their Christmas candy by Easter.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

The USPS is running help-wanted spots on the local AM radio station. I've been in Portland, Maine for 32 years and don't recall ever seeing that before. I think that's symptomatic of the problem everywhere. They start at $16-19/hr in the distribution center, which beats unemployment. It won't put the kids through college but, as they say in the old country, it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick when work is scarcer than it's been in a while. The radio spot indicates that other positions may also be available.

jess332

Post by jess332 »

Cane Head wrote:
12/21/20 20:59
rsagebrush wrote:
12/19/20 19:30
Well it seemed and should have been so simple the other way, you know they guarantee delivery in 2 or 3 days, I wonder if they're planning on giving refunds for the poor service.
Actually - the only USPS guaranteed delivery times are for USPS Priority Express Mail and it does come with a money back guarantee. Priority, First Class, and Retail Ground mail delivery dates are only estimates. The USPS is having record parcel numbers this year. Because of Covid - items normally bought from a local store, even grocery stores, are being ordered on-line'. People are taking advantage of their Amazon Prime big time. Plus, families that normally travel to family for the holidays are choosing to stay home and just mail their packages.

However - Christmas comes every year - same time of year, same month, same calendar date. If you choose to order, or send parcels, during the Christmas rush, then you should expect delays. And yes, Covid quarantines effect PO manning. Yes - extra help is hired, but a lot of these folks quit during their first week, sometimes after their first night. It's work at a work load level they don't care for and hours they didn"t anticipate - since the mail is worked at night. Youngsters want a M-F, 8-4:30, nights and weekends off. Not a 60-70 hour work week that is sundown till sun up.

Cane Head
You're right.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I ordered a pack of hooks, pack of Goose biots, and a pack of CDC from a shop and last tracking was 11 days ago stating it left Nashua, NH which is a couple hundred miles from me here in Central NY? From another source, I ordered some CDC and it went across the country from Missouri to Tennessee then on to Fresno, California before arriving here. My faith in the USPS is being challenged by this lackluster performance.
Thankfully, I don't have life dependent medical devices coming that I may or may not ever receive.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Dave in Maine wrote:
02/10/21 11:31
At this rate, my friends might get their Christmas candy by Easter.
Better yet, they may get it by next Christmas.

salmonid1
Guide

Post by salmonid1 »

Most of you guys are very kind in your commentary. I sent a rod to Jim Downes from Albany, NY, about a 5 hour drive by car express mail to arrive the next day before 3pm. 36 days later Jim called me and said "guess what I just got?" Got my money back from the PO but clearly not the point. I also lost a sale for the rod as Jim had every intention of turning it around quickly after a very minor repair. I also sent a beautiful and rare 4/2, 7' Orvis Pack Rod to Montana March 23. Tracking notices stopped on March 28. Any of you folks seen it? Ha, Ha. Lost and gone forever! Believe me, not just Covid. For 28 years as a dealer I could have been a poster boy for the Dept., never having had a loss, never damage save one Phillipson rod that I poorly packed. I've since turned to Fedex as my main conveyance; sometimes UPS. I still use USPS for international express and although slower than ever, still getting to destinations. This is not Covid induced!! I have heard of some love loss between Biden and Lovejoy and also know that in many urban areas, particularly through Springfield, MA, things get complicated, to be kind. CL

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

If you think things have gotten better via USPS, think again. I currently have a fairly expensive rod 'in limbo' somewhere between me and Michigan. It was--according to USPS Tracking--supposed to be delivered two days ago via REGISTERED MAIL. No such luck. It spent three days between Minneapolis and St. Paul! Then delivery was updated to today by 9 p.m. Nope. My friendly postman is on the lookout for it, but told me this afternoon delivery would be at least tomorrow, maybe even later.

Coincidentally, I recently sent six rods to a dealer via USPS Priority Mail in four packages--one per day for four days. There was absolutely no rhyme nor reason as to which rod(s) were delivered when. All obviously went to the same address. All were posted at the same time of day. When they showed up was anyone's guess. The USPS tracking system was pretty useless. (Total cost was $140.00.)

Don't know if this is another symptom of the supply chain snafu or the labor situation, but it's both frustrating and expensive, you can be sure!

Scott
Last edited by Flyman615 on 10/21/21 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

Sad organization now, mediocre service, unreliable service and now rip off prices to boot.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

I don't suppose it has anything to do with Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's deliberate decision to delay service and raise costs? No, that doesn't make any sense. Let's just blame the poor saps who drive the trucks.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

quashnet wrote:
10/21/21 20:00
I don't suppose it has anything to do with Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's deliberate decision to delay service and raise costs? No, that doesn't make any sense. Let's just blame the poor saps who drive the trucks.
O, no it couldn't be that, why would the post master general want to slow the mail at the peak season?

johnbontrager
Sport

Post by johnbontrager »

I recently ordered M-D heat treating fixtures from Harry Boyd that was shipped on Saturday and traveled a thousand miles to arrive on Monday. I also recently ordered a book from a source 35 miles away that traveled over 1500 miles and passed through 7 USPS distribution centers to arrive 12 days later. There seems to be neither logic nor wisdom behind the protocol.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

The USPS has been since its inception, an Icon of Americana. "Rain, Sleet, Snow" etc. and service we've come to depend on and take for granted like opening a Hershey bar - you knew what to expect. Hard to understand how an institution can come unhinged and be headed for demise when it operated for us fairly well for decades?
Last edited by barebo on 10/22/21 18:03, edited 1 time in total.

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

Only gonna get worse I expect.
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Sure enough...my rod, which was supposed to be delivered via the much-touted REGISTERED USPS MAIL on 10/19, arrived at our local P.O. this morning (10/22) at 4 a.m. So it will finally be delivered today, right?

Nope. Not until some unknown time tomorrow, 10/23...supposedly. USPS Registered Mail person-to-person 'hand offs' aside, as a result of these delays, we've had to postpone our vacation. Ridiculous!

Scott Z.
Last edited by Flyman615 on 10/22/21 18:16, edited 1 time in total.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Well... my 2 week overdue padded envelope arrived today. My heart be still. I clicked on crowbeetle's link regarding the deliberate slowing of mail, etc. and can only surmise that it is a 100% politically motivated move. The adverse effects it'll have will affect us all in a domino style. God help us.

halh68
Guide

Post by halh68 »

I don't think Dejoy's primary motivation is political. He owns a lot of stock in usps competition . Money may not be the root of all evil bit it accounts for a damn large percentage of it.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, USPS to Australia:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/consume ... 58wb8.html

What affects does this have on members?

Jay Edwards

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

They fish and buy fishing equipment in Australia.

tabrods406
Guide

Post by tabrods406 »

USPS recently added a surprise "holiday surcharge" of about 10% to all their Priority shipping. I asked at the local post office and they said it's only temporary until after the holidays. Don't remember seeing anything from them about it.

Tom

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”