USPS serious delays

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: USPS serious delays

Post by Tommasini »

billems wrote:
01/10/21 10:34
Yeah, these matters can be a drag. But thousands are dying everyday; folks are being evicted and going hungry, etc. It sucks; but let's keep it in perspective.
There are always things VASTLY more important than Fly Fishing. Does that mean we can't discuss them? Maybe we should shut the board down until the virus is eliminated and there are no more hungry and there are no more foreclosures and there is world peace.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

"I wear waders for the poor and the beaten down, livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town, I wear them for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime, but is there because he's a victim of the times." —Johnny Cash, on a fishing trip (according to a guy I met at The Owl Club Bar).

twistedtippet
Guide

Post by twistedtippet »

wiesent wrote:
01/10/21 03:17
I don't quite understand the USPS problem. In my opinion, the cause lies with some distribution centers. On 01/04 an order of capes was shipped from Indiana to me in Germany. On 09/01 these have already arrived.

I was quite confused when the carrier delivered the package :eek
Only 8 months in transit. Maybe a new record. And we've been complaining about USPS being slow.
tt
------------------------------------------------------
Even the blind squirrel gets an occasional nut.

JeffSod
Sport

Post by JeffSod »

JeffSod wrote:
01/10/21 09:56
I would agree with the above based on my experience and seeing other reports going on in different forums. Seems packages shipped the second and third week of December are stalled. One package I am waiting on has showed no movement what so ever since 12/26. Was shipped on 12/20 priority. Only had to go to neighboring state and got routed down the entire East coast.
My package showed up today. Box had a little kink in it but no damage to the storage tube or fly rod inside. So 22 days in transit for Priority from the next state over. I am happy it arrived safely. The extra mileage to LA is what had me most concerned it was going to get either lost or damaged.

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

All my items were received yesterday. Long live the USPS!

DatsunDoc
Sport

Post by DatsunDoc »

This rod came in less than two weeks and that was an improvement over packages taking a month but it arrived in this condition. Amazing, they destroyed a rod in an aluminum tube inside another sturdy plastic rod case. I had to straighten the tubes to get the rod out.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Wow, amazing that they could manage to crush it like that. Looks like it got caught in a conveyer. Let us know if they make it good.

dder
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by dder »

What a real shame to see that DatsunDoc. I had one sage graphite shipped to me like that years ago, no insurance and living in Canada nothing could be done. Now with ebays global shipping seller ships to P B in Kentucky and then they ship to Canada and buyer gets to pay 2 shipping charges, duty and wait while your purchase crosses the USA twice and then north. Pretty much have to really want something to buy there anymore. I hope you had insurance and post office goes good for your rod cost but still can,t replace it likely. Sorry for your loss. Daryl

mcflyfish
Guide

Post by mcflyfish »

I sent a rod to Colorado on 12/21 and it got there today (1/20)...almost a month. I sent a reel to Colorado on 1/12 and it got there 1/15..3 days...go figure?

From two traces on the rod...the local post master in Colorado said a lot of holiday stuff just ended up in huge bins at distribution centers due to volume and Covid (staffing)...and they are just now getting caught up.

tony002

Post by tony002 »

The Postal Service™ is temporarily suspending international mail acceptance for certain destinations due to service impacts related to the COVID-19 pandemic.after months of mail delays, record high mail volume, and more and more employees being infected with the coronavirus, the Postal Service has really struggled to keep up with on-time delivery, as it has for months.

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

Mailed Christmas cards on 12/20/20 to a niece and nephew in the Cleveland, OH area. They BOTH received the cards yesterday (1/26/21). At the same time that I mailed their cards, I mailed one to an old VIetnam buddy in Tucson, AZ. He got his within a week. Go figure.

Bob

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Sent my entry (via USPS) to Publisher’s Sweepstakes on June 3, 2019.....
Still....Nothing....

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

He we go again, cant make this up...

I used UPS last week since the USPS is broken. Brought my package to the UPS store, handed it to them, they print out a receipt there.... a few days later the buyer asks me if I dropped off the package at UPS because tracking says the label was created but the package was never received by UPS.

I have no words. The label was created at the store. They said that if it doesn't appear on the tracking by the end of the day that I can open a claim tomorrow morning. Really disheartening.

Has this happened to any of you before?

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

While there seem to have been severe backups with mail around Xmas, my USPS priority, insured packages recently seem to be back on track. Both sent and received to a diversity of states, all as usual, which means very good service. One thing I have noticed is the signature requirement , even when generally required for insured over 500 or sig. confirmed packages, seems to be waved during COVID. I’m very happy with USPS, generally.
Last edited by creakycane on 02/02/21 08:00, edited 2 times in total.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

A neighbor of mine works for USPS at one of the bigger regional facilities nearby. According to him (last week or 10days), USPS is pretty much back on track up here, most of the country seems good or getting there. Pennsylvania he said is still a mess; wasn't sure if it was being shorthanded or lots of people calling out sick at the same time, but he saw some internal pics of things piled up from before Christmas.

So as it sounds from what everyone here is posting, it may depend on where things are being routed as to the timely delivery.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Hah, I have another package with usps off the radar right now, too, which is why I went to ups.

This is the time of year I send things for repairs or tweak my collection, etc.... this season has been so anxiety inducing that it's contributing to me rethinking how I've been approaching equipment. I honestly don't want to buy or trade or sell stuff anymore. Im not used to this defeatist attitude but seriously.... I dont need this finger crossing in my life for paid services.

Less is more.

16parachuteadams
Master Guide

Post by 16parachuteadams »

My luck must be in, sent a package to Connecticut and it arrived in 2 days with Priority, got it back in 2.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Bought a reel on the bay friday am and the USPS delivered it yesterday, monday, during the big snow to my door from San Francisco !! Also had a couple of rods get lost in the ozone for a while but after official "inquiries", they showed up a day later.
No complaints here! Kudos USPS, all things considered.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

The official inquiries actually work much of the time. but I have no idea why.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

UPS. 3 days to Littleton, Colorado and 4 days to New Orleans.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”