USPS serious delays

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: USPS serious delays

Post by Short Tip »

reelsmith wrote:
12/18/20 12:31
My packages coming/going from coast-to-coast are making it in 3 or 4 days. But, to/from anywhere else delivery times vary greatly. One package making what would be a 6 hour drive had I delivered it myself, took 17 days.

The USPS has the cards greatly stacked against them right now. I'm grateful they are still getting the job done.

Dean.
This has been the case for me as well. I've had a number of small items lately which I mailed to nearby states. All have taken longer than expected. I made matters worse by sending two buyers the wrong package, and having to get them to mail theirs to the other. Both of them, forum members, kindly agreed and I am grateful. Slow, but they are getting there, touch wood.

On the other hand, I purchased a reel last week. It was in Oregon, I am in Virginia. It shipped Priority Mail on Thursday afternoon with an expected delivery of Monday, 12/21. I chuckled at that and set my expectations for after Christmas at best. Today, Sunday the 20th, someone started banging on my door at 7:55 AM. It was the USPS, and my reel. Pleasantly surprised? You bet!

As others have pointed out, the USPS has suffered a perfect storm of pandemic problems and politically charged leadership changes. Not only has the pandemic decimated their employees, but the increased flow of mail has been unprecedented. UPS and FEDEX have actually turned away business, including LL Bean. The USPS has no such luxury and they have to deliver all the junk mail as well. I'm ok with a bit of slowdown, we have been spoiled to some degree.

Capt. Frank
Master Guide

Post by Capt. Frank »

I talked to a frustrated USPS employee yesterday, he said, management told him due to Wuhan Virus, there were not enough drivers. His solution, hire more.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Surprisingly I've not had an issue with delivery lately. Just lucky I guess. I did, however, once by a book that was shipped in October and I received it 10 months later.......
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

This is a valuable thread! After the months and months of frustrations of dealing with the COVID 19 reality, we are getting into the season where our packages and letters can add some joy after a long year full of all kinds of struggles - but it often takes MUCH longer than anticipated to actually receive our mail. The advice I'm hearing here is a needful thing right now - relax, we'll get through this too, and hopefully everything will end up where it's supposed to be.

Imagine how much stress it would take off all of us AND the workers in shipping, if we all "poured ourselves a tall one" and relaxed. I'm guessing the majority of us are doing the best they can. This year, we decided that ordering/shipping was the easier choice than tromping through malls and downtown stores and it hasn't turned out that way. The things we've ordered early enough to be wrapped and resent in plenty of time aren't arriving and we have people asking us if we have received their packages yet and we haven't. Still, we'll get 'em and the pleasant anticipation until they do arrive will sweeten the gifts. So, I wish all those over-worked people in shipping and delivery a wonderful Christmas Season and I hope the rest of us will be kind when our packages arrive late - it's the complications of the virus, and in most cases, not inefficiency. Most are doing the very best they can. :)

Pat

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Ahhhhh.... Just mail me my vaccine. I may need it......

Jay Edwards

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

We are getting our mail delivered sporadically and yesterday (Sunday) a new postman came. I commented that they were working them hard to be sending them out on Sunday, and he replied that they were 5 days behind and he wasn't even a resident. They flew him in from Omaha to work in the LA area just to deliver mail.

fisherman911
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fisherman911 »

So were I live in western NJ, Hunterdon county, my very small local P.O. has not received any mail in 7 days. Yes no mail. According to the very nice and very helpful young women who is the only person who works there, and who tries to do her best, the P.O. is just loading mail in storage trailers at the metro mail hubs like Karney, Newark, etc. because they have no people available to handle the volume. I tried to contact my local congress person and got no response and the local Postmaster is shell-shocked, because she has no control. The point is that the local people that we deal with every day work hard but have no ability to impact the management/political decisions made that make it impossible for them to do their jobs.
Last edited by fisherman911 on 12/21/20 13:52, edited 1 time in total.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Yeah, I've had an item sitting on a dock or in a truck in New Jersey for a month now.

Cane Head
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Cane Head »

rsagebrush wrote:
12/19/20 19:30
Well it seemed and should have been so simple the other way, you know they guarantee delivery in 2 or 3 days, I wonder if they're planning on giving refunds for the poor service.
Actually - the only USPS guaranteed delivery times are for USPS Priority Express Mail and it does come with a money back guarantee. Priority, First Class, and Retail Ground mail delivery dates are only estimates. The USPS is having record parcel numbers this year. Because of Covid - items normally bought from a local store, even grocery stores, are being ordered on-line. People are taking advantage of their Amazon Prime big time. Plus, families that normally travel to family for the holidays are choosing to stay home and just mail their packages.

However - Christmas comes every year - same time of year, same month, same calendar date. If you choose to order, or send parcels, during the Christmas rush, then you should expect delays. And yes, Covid quarantines effect PO manning. Yes - extra help is hired, but a lot of these folks quit during their first week, sometimes after their first night. It's work at a work load level they don't care for and hours they didn"t anticipate - since the mail is worked at night. Youngsters want a M-F, 8-4:30, nights and weekends off. Not a 60-70 hour work week that is sundown till sun up.

Cane Head

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Harrumph!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

The definition of Priority from the Postal Service: Fast and affordable way to deliver mail to every address in the US, in most instances, delivery is made within 1 to 3 days. I believe the service is certainly implied, many of my packages are weeks out from adjacent states. They should certainly be making their customers aware of this when taking their money, poor management indeed. I don't notice UPS or Fed Ex lagging anywhere near this far behind during this busy season and I'm sure they're carrying an extra load too.
Working my whole career in the private sector performance like this during showtime generally meant you were looking for a new job in a day or two. I'm afraid that once they become aware that performance like this is tolerated it will become the new norm.
The USPS has been complaining for years about reduced mail volumes, now they've got it and have completely dropped the ball, but I'm sure they are taking in more money than ever before.

flyfishermann1955
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishermann1955 »

I had a small box come from Florida to Oklahoma in 5 days, so not too bad. Last Tuesday, I mailed a small padded envelope to Connecticut
with an estimated delivery of Saturday. It hasn't been delivered yet and is showing "it will be late". The troublesome part to me is the last tracking entry is from the day I mailed it (departed OK Regional Distribution Center). The good news is, it's not valuable and it's not a Christmas gift!

Tight Lines- Ken

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

PYochim wrote:
12/19/20 18:27
Tommasini wrote:
12/18/20 16:58
I have a rod coming from a seller in my same state, 50 miles away. Been more than a week!
Why don't you just hop in your car and go get it?
After 8 days in the original Postal facility, it has started moving to another postal facility. Good sign, won't be long now!

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

rsagebrush wrote:
12/21/20 21:48
The definition of Priority from the Postal Service: Fast and affordable way to deliver mail to every address in the US, in most instances, delivery is made within 1 to 3 days. I believe the service is certainly implied, many of my packages are weeks out from adjacent states. They should certainly be making their customers aware of this when taking their money, poor management indeed. I don't notice UPS or Fed Ex lagging anywhere near this far behind during this busy season and I'm sure they're carrying an extra load too.
Working my whole career in the private sector performance like this during showtime generally meant you were looking for a new job in a day or two. I'm afraid that once they become aware that performance like this is tolerated it will become the new norm.
The USPS has been complaining for years about reduced mail volumes, now they've got it and have completely dropped the ball, but I'm sure they are taking in more money than ever before.
Have you ever priced USPS vs Fedex or UPS?

I sent a small package to MI from WI and it cost me $4.30 and arrived in 3 days. I checked Fedex online for a price and it was $22.45

I had Steve at Cookshill send me a cape and some other things. It shipped last Tuesday and arrived yesterday from across the pond via the postal system. I shipped Bearbutt some hooks USPS 2-3 Priority and it arrived on time. In the past 6 weeks I have received three different USPS priority hackle shipments from Jim Slattery in Idaho and all arrived within three days. I ordered some Collins feathers from Badger Creek Fly Tying in NY and they arrived Sunday morning at 8:30am.

Is USPS perfect? No. Have you ever read the Fedex reviews? https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.fedex.com.

John

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

Capt. Frank wrote:
12/20/20 11:31
I talked to a frustrated USPS employee yesterday, he said, management told him due to Wuhan Virus, there were not enough drivers.
LOL--your underwear is showing, ya know?

The Gentleman from Wisconsin is right--USPS is a bargain compared to Fed Ex. And lots of people are fed up with Fed-UPS--they throw packages with TVs over fences, leave stuff outside buildings in the city, and stuff like that--lots of loving videos of their incompetence are on You-tube. USPS has its quirks, but as pointed out, they are largely administrative, leading up to their controlling body--Congress. This is where the problem--and many other problems--lie.

Disclosure: my mother worked for the post office, and my delivery guy is just amazing.

bb

Cane Head
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Cane Head »

rsagebrush wrote:
12/21/20 21:48
You're perfectly welcome to take your business elsewhere. Nothing in the definition of Priority Mail implies a guaranteed date of delivery. It's an estimate that's attainable when everyone is doing their job. My shop prides itself in getting out mail out the door and away quickly - everyday. But we only have control over what we do. We also explain how the shear number of parcels being shipped during the Holiday season affect parcel delivery. And every year the USPS publicizes the best mailing time frames to ensure parcels reach their destination before or by Christmas. Very few heed the heads up.

Cane

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

USPS is overwhelmed by the Postal Employees themselves. I think it is a Union rule that if anyone sees you sweating, or moving faster than a slow crawl, you'll get written up! I sent a fly rod tip to a guy in CA from NM, by Priority Mail, and they sent it back to me. To and from addresses were correct too. When you complain to any one in the Post Office, whether it is one of the clerks, or Supervisors, they just shrug their shoulders and say, "Hey, mistakes get made!" Those are for certain sinecure jobs!

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

Anyone with a pulse and two neurons to rub together knows that nothing you said is true. Moderators? Looks like we're done here.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

DUCKMANNM wrote:
12/22/20 21:42
USPS is overwhelmed by the Postal Employees themselves. I think it is a Union rule that if anyone sees you sweating, or moving faster than a slow crawl, you'll get written up! I sent a fly rod tip to a guy in CA from NM, by Priority Mail, and they sent it back to me. To and from addresses were correct too. When you complain to any one in the Post Office, whether it is one of the clerks, or Supervisors, they just shrug their shoulders and say, "Hey, mistakes get made!" Those are for certain sinecure jobs!
Where's the Bassman now?? I believe this crosses the line and should cause the inevitable end result. Or maybe just delete the offending post? I found it offensive and I'm not even a postal employee!

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

Back when Virtual Fly Shop was in existence, I bought a couple dozen flies from a seller and never received them. Someone told me to make a Postal Fraud report. I went into my local Post Office at 4:10 PM (the Postal Window closes at 4:30) and talked to the Post master. He said he had no idea what I was talking about. I left , went home and researched it online and found the form number I needed. I went the next morning and spoke again with the Post master asking him to order the form for me. He said he didn't need to order it as he had the form right here and handed it to me. I asked as to why he didn't give it to me the day before? He said "That's because you came in at 4:10 PM ".

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”