USPS serious delays

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: USPS serious delays

Post by thegubster »

Yeah, it's getting so bad that dealers should include a note like in the grocery shoppes:

"BEST IF USED BY _____"

Peace-out folks and -- Merry Christmas in this strangest of times!!

LeeB
Master Guide

Post by LeeB »

I have a reel coming from the UK. It was shipped 12/6, left Langley, UK on the 8th, and was processed through the Int'l Service Center in San Francisco on the 10th. All perfectly normal. No tracking updates since then, until last night when it was received in Helsinki. Go figure.
Lee

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Post by Trout120-1 »

This has been going on for months ! Use UPS ! No problem with them.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

In my area, the post office has stopped delivering second and third class mail and only delivers some first class mail. I guess they are concentrating on packages, but I've been waiting weeks on them too. I would highly recommend against using USPS, at least for the next few weeks. Maybe they will get on track after that.
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

davemaine
Guide

Post by davemaine »

Must depend on where you are and where your stuff is coming from. All the stuff I've ordered over the last month--mostly Christmas gifts, plus one rod and one reel for me (shh, don't tell my wife) have come on time.

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

I have a rod coming from a seller in my same state, 50 miles away. Been more than a week!

nuchamps5
Sport

Post by nuchamps5 »

Yeah, it seems really hit or miss. I had something from Florida which was only a couple days late. Something shipped the same day from Arizona and tracking says it has only made it as far as Colorado.

Still, I'm giving them a break. USPS doesn't have the option of refusing service like UPS and FedEx, and they're clearly working hard!

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

Believe it or not the items from Canada arrive in a reasonable time, I have a parcel from Penna. that's out about 3 weeks now. UPS shipments arrive in a timely manner as well as Fed-Ex. USPS was not ready for prime time this year, not a bit surprising. As to my mail deliver he's too lazy to show up to my door for the last 3 years so I have to drive 9 miles on way to pick up packages that don't fit in the Big Mail Box. No Christmas present for him.
I don't expect it to get any better in the future it works like the government, although I believe it will become more timely sometime in January.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

I've had a reel that took 11 days to move from St Augustine FL, and still hasn't gotten any farther than Birmingham AL!

I think glaciers moved faster.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Let's just hope that we all eventually get our packages some day and that they won't end up being dumped in some landfill...
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Having a really tough time with the USPS right now. Sent someone two packages at the same time, 2 day delivery. They got one about a week and a half later after I complained to the post office and the other is nowhere to be found.... disappointing doesn't begin to describe it.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Tommasini wrote:
12/18/20 16:58
I have a rod coming from a seller in my same state, 50 miles away. Been more than a week!
Why don't you just hop in your car and go get it?

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

Well it seemed and should have been so simple the other way, you know they guarantee delivery in 2 or 3 days, I wonder if they're planning on giving refunds for the poor service.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

rsagebrush wrote:
12/19/20 19:30
Well it seemed and should have been so simple the other way, you know they guarantee delivery in 2 or 3 days, I wonder if they're planning on giving refunds for the poor service.
The only guarantee I know of is Express Mail.

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

rsagebrush wrote:
12/19/20 19:30
LOL--what "guarantee"? It's advertising, not a guarantee. Two-day priority delivery service disappeared--how long ago? Five years? Seven? Eventually the stuff arrives, but it can be over a month behind a scheduled delivery date.

Given the regular, persistent, and inevitable delays, on good days and bad days alike, the best option for USPS is to rebrand themselves, and change "Priority" service to "Eventually."

bb

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

Perhaps 'Hopefully Someday' service.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Hasn’t the topic of poor customer service by USPS been beaten to death enough?

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

Sister-in-Law mailed her Christmas cards (1st class postage) at a blue postal drop box three weeks ago and not one has been delivered. Not even in her own town.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

canefisher

Post by canefisher »

I agree with PYochim. I'm sure the postal workers are doing their best. Given the unprecedented series of problems they are facing from covid-19, Christmas rush and management decisions. Thousands of postal workers have contracted the disease doing their jobs. Have we forgotten to thank essential workers? It's Christmas give them a break.

drifly
Sport

Post by drifly »

Certainly thankful for all who continue to provide services during these trying times, knowing first hand as I live with a nurse, but the PO shouldn’t continue to sell their Priority Mail product knowing they cannot fulfill their obligation to their customers. Happy Holidays!

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”