USPS serious delays

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

perfesser
Guide

Re: USPS serious delays

Post by perfesser »

Last edited by perfesser on 01/25/21 19:25, edited 1 time in total.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

It seems like there is a lot of dependence on the destination or the "corridor" it needs to go through. I have a first class mail that was sent to NJ, dropped in the mail with other items to other destinations on 26 Dec. Everything else in the batch arrived, NJ not so much. I'm thinking that Murphy has stay at home and lockdown orders and USPS is "not essential".

Bill Terry
Guide

Post by Bill Terry »

To me, it seems that the USPS shipping crisis has been resolved as the backlog from Christmas-present shipping has cleared. Right after Christmas, I ordered a package of FerruLube from the Silver Trout in Vermont, and it arrived here in Colorado in four days. A book I ordered from a publisher in Cincinnati is supposed to arrive here today, after one week.
Ad piscatoribus sunt omnes res secundi.

twistedtippet
Guide

Post by twistedtippet »

New Jersey seems to have a problem. 4 packages sent on Dec. 29th went thru N.J. and still sitting there. On a better note 1 package shipped on Dec. 30th that went thru Mass. arrived in Texas already. No choice which hub it goes thru when shipped from CT.
tt
------------------------------------------------------
Even the blind squirrel gets an occasional nut.

flyrodman
Master Guide

Post by flyrodman »

Shipped a package USPS on Thursday afternoon 12/31/2020 from NH, arrived and delivered Denver, CO today

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Yeah, we are having the same problem with a package that has been stuck in New Jersey for a while. We sent the package from Alabama on Dec 7th and it still has not reached Delaware.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Well, I don't know if this is a record or not, a bill, put in mail at a PO in NH 17 Dec 2020, destined for Newark, finally cleared 5 Jan 2021. Yes, I know Christmas and weekends and holidays, but still, more than enough time to get there before the due date (30 Dec 2020). At least it used to be; the "bright side" is gee, starting off 2021 with full month credit because I made sure it was paid by the due date.

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

mer wrote:
01/06/21 04:49
Well, I don't know if this is a record or not, a bill, put in mail at a PO in NH 17 Dec 2020, destined for Newark, finally cleared 5 Jan 2021. Yes, I know Christmas and weekends and holidays, but still, more than enough time to get there before the due date (30 Dec 2020). At least it used to be; the "bright side" is gee, starting off 2021 with full month credit because I made sure it was paid by the due date.
My son's Christmas card that was mailed on December 17th, arrived on January 5th. We live less than 20 miles apart. The Old Pony Express would have been faster!

davemaine
Guide

Post by davemaine »

The delays are all quite understandable and well-documented: unprecedented amount of holiday shipping, staffing shortages due to Covid, and policy changes at the Postal service (most of them opposed by actual postal workers). Not sure why this thread continues.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

davemaine wrote:
01/06/21 13:06
Not sure why this thread continues.
Because complaining is all we have sometimes?

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Well today I received 3 packages, so all but 1 item shipped from a fellow board member has arrived up to all shipments made to me by 12/20. At one time there were 15 outstanding.

Based on that it is getting better.
Previously known as bamboocollector11

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Item mailed from PA. to ID, shipped 2 day priority Nov 24 arrived Dec 22 !

bobk
Master Guide

Post by bobk »

I buy and have been buying my pipes and tobacco from Smoking Pipes in South Carolina and they ship USPS Priority Mail to me here in New Jersey. Their packages usually arrive n 5 to 6 maybe 7 business days even during he busy holiday season. My last order was placed with them on the 4th shipped on the 5th and is arriving today the 7th.

Guess it is dependent on which hub packages are moving thru and the management involved.

Shoeless Joe
Master Guide

Post by Shoeless Joe »

mer wrote:
01/06/21 15:11
davemaine wrote:
01/06/21 13:06
Not sure why this thread continues.
Because complaining is all we have sometimes?
lol, funny the way it is...
"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing. It also depends on what sort of person you are." ~ CS Lewis

That said, I see far more explaining going on here ... as other’s have, in so many words, said, twas the perfect storm for the USPS. IMO, by & large they did & are continuing to do an amazing job!

Personally, there were two moments of angst, the common denominators being the state Idaho & that dark hole (I’m from IL) known as the Elk Grove Village postal hub. In the end, after some lengthy delays, everything turned out well. In fact, just yesterday we received Mom’s Christmas card, which was mailed on 17-Dec. Not complaining, rather, just explaining.

The only posted item that remains unreconciled is a 2021 Vulcan - no, not as in Spock, rather the RAF’s Cold War-era bomber - calendar that was ordered from a UK vendor on 26-Nov ... though it’s presently lost at sea, I choose to remain optomistic!

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

This from Classified kind of cracked me up.
"$550 US shipped anywhere in the world (I'm in Australia). It will go Aust Post Express which takes about 7-9 days."
7-9 days from Australia? Right now it seems like items take that long to go from OK City to Tulsa. Some things it might be faster to drive them yourself. It might be that it can get here in 7-9 days but from the point it hits our shores then how long?

I'm in great hopes that when vaccines get administered and we're past holidays things will get back to more normal. I believe we have the best delivery systems in the world and hope this is just a hurdle to jump over.

wiesent
Sport

Post by wiesent »

I don't quite understand the USPS problem. In my opinion, the cause lies with some distribution centers. On 01/04 an order of capes was shipped from Indiana to me in Germany. On 09/01 these have already arrived.

I was quite confused when the carrier delivered the package :eek

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

As a few have stated, generally, anything shipped USPS after Christmas gets to it's destination in pretty good time. Things shipped the week prior to Christmas is where the problem is. These items ended up in a pile at a distribution center. I'm still waiting for an item shipped 12/17/20.

JeffSod
Sport

Post by JeffSod »

I would agree with the above based on my experience and seeing other reports going on in different forums. Seems packages shipped the second and third week of December are stalled. One package I am waiting on has showed no movement what so ever since 12/26. Was shipped on 12/20 priority. Only had to go to neighboring state and got routed down the entire East coast.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Yeah, these matters can be a drag. But thousands are dying everyday; folks are being evicted and going hungry, etc. It sucks; but let's keep it in perspective.

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

Bill,
Indeed you are correct, thousands are dying everyday.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”