Pipe smokers and collectors

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Tellumnothing
Guide

Pipe smokers and collectors

Post by Tellumnothing »

Happy new year to all my pipe smoker friends. Haven't heard much conversation from you all for a while so thought I would start something up. Since I'm band from smoking my pipe in the house I find it necessary to do my smoking as I walk to the Post box to get the daily mail. That's fine as long as it's not a blizzard condition here in Montana. It's about a half a mile round-trip so it is healthy for me to get out and get some fresh air. On another note. I have a good friend and pipe maker, Davorin Denovic,
who lives in Zagreb, Croatia. They had a pretty bad earthquake there about a month ago and I was concerned about his well-being. He returned my email immediately telling me that they were all fine and the majority of the damage was in a different part of the city. That was excellent news. Davorin is pretty famous for his morta pipes and we share a common Croatian Heritage. I'll bet some of you own one of his pipes. Hope you all are healthy, safe and happy.
Tellumnothing

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Pipe smokers and collectors

Post by ablecane »

I've seen Denovic's work. Very nice.
Long, dry, boring winter so far here in central AZ. Been in the teens/20's in the early mornings until this past week. Mid 60's in the afternoons make it enjoyable for a bowl. Foul weather forecast for the next 7-10 days.
Best to all of us.

thorsma
Sport

Post by thorsma »

Thanks for resurrecting this thread! I know we all miss Banjo's regular contributions. It's been cool here in the Northeast but has been a mild winter so far, good for an occasional smoke out at the fire pit.

Hope all remain healthy and in good spirits. Happy new year!

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

A fellow on the Brothers of Briar site resurrected an old post of mine about acquiring this Ehrlich pipe.  Seems he owned one years ago that got away and has been looking for another ever since to no avail.  

I told him I really rather liked the pipe and the only thing out there that I'd seen close to it is the Peterson Sherlock Holmes Milverton, and if I were to sell it I'd want enough to replace it with the Milverton.  He agreed.   So he got reunited with an old friend and I got a new Pete.  I love happy endings😄 !

I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

Tellumnothing
Guide

Post by Tellumnothing »

Good for the both of you :) I love stories with a happy ending. Especially those with TWO happy endings. :D :D

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

Well done!

VanfromMaine
Guide

Post by VanfromMaine »

Petersons & Zippo

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

Those will do nicely, although I prefer wooden matches.

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Nice Zippo, and ya gotta love a Peterson, though I prefer the p-lip :)
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

bobk
Master Guide

Post by bobk »

I have a small selection of just 8 pipes with 4 being Petersons. Two are p-lip and I prefer them over all the others. If I try to clench a pipe for whatever reason my mouth starts to salivate like crazy, but if I hold a pipe in my mouth by my front teeth that doesn't happen and the p-lip just hangs better and is easier to hold and smoke rather than a fishtail.

My Petersons are top to bottom;
A System Standard Smooth (303) P-Lip, a Christmas 2020 (03) Fishtail, an Irish Harp (80s) Fishtail and a Sherlock Holmes Rusticated Squire P-Lip.

And, my zippo that I use when afield has the pipe insert.

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

Sweet!

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Nice Bob! I like the lanyard; I'm always worried about plopping mine in the drink. Did your lighter come that way or is it something you rigged up? My ancient zippo has a pipe insert as well, but the butane one as I got tired of filling the old one every couple days. I went on a weird spree recently and ended up with four brand spankin' new Petersons - a sandblast canted bulldog, a rusticated full bent (already referenced above), a walnut smooth 1/4 bent apple and a big terracotta 1/2 bent bulldog. They're all still in the rack waiting for their "maiden voyage" as soon as the weather cooperates. All p-lips of course, and I'm going to try to get used to softies on my pipes as they get used hard and some of the stems are starting to show it. Have to trim the softies to allow for the p-lips. Nice to see the occasional pipe-related posts!

bobk
Master Guide

Post by bobk »

I inherited the Zippo from my Uncle and he got it years ago setup with the lanyard. The dog on the lighter is a Black Lab which is what he had so I imagine it might have been thru one of the Gun/Dog Magazines he received ?

I like your P-lip's........ got me thinking I might need one or two more ! And, is that an antler pipe rack ? It's neat.

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Yup. My kids found it at an antique mall some years back.

bobk
Master Guide

Post by bobk »

Gives me an idea on maybe trying to make one..... I really like it.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

These pipes all belonged to my grandfather - Elmer.

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

ablecane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ablecane »

Fine items, gentlemen!

bobk
Master Guide

Post by bobk »

People who knew my Dad who was never without his pipe will occasionally ask me "hey, how many pipes did your father have?". My reply is that he had a few that were given to him over the years but he only smoked his Kaywoodie rusticated bent bulldog. And he only liked / smoked Granger tobacco and used paper matches, I never saw him with a lighter. He slowed down his smoking when he got sick and the bowl of his pipe developed a crack on the side from the continual use it received. He would pack some Granger in the crack, some in the bowl and enjoy a smoke. He was laid out with his pipe in his jacket pocket and a pouch of Granger and some matches. I kept his small gold pipe knife that I found when going thru his things.

Interesting how some of us rotate pipes and tobaccos and are so particular about all of this !

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

bobk wrote:
02/28/21 08:54
Interesting how some of us rotate pipes and tobaccos and are so particular about all of this !
And how some of us rotate our cane rods and our reels and are so particular about all of this! LOL. Yes.

My grandfather, who lived into his 90s, was a regular pipe smoker, and the three things I remember about his house during my childhood was the sweet fragrance of his pipe tobacco, his rotating pipe rack, and the clicks of his Cuckoo clock. On several occasions I've been tempted to take up a pipe, but the last thing I need is another expensive habit--god knows I have enough of them. Still, it's pleasing seeing all the enjoyment you guys are getting from your pipes, and memories of of them.

Tellumnothing
Guide

Post by Tellumnothing »

Three of my favorites being Davorin Denovic morta and two of Mr. Strawberry's Josts. I too prefer to use wood matches when I'm sitting at home on my deck. However, when I am on the river and up to my knees I don't want to lose my Silver match container in the drink so I've gone to my Filson pipe lighter. Much easer to handle. The Filson didn't come with the pipe lighter insert but I had another zippo that was for pipes so I just exchanged the two. Enjoy your vaccinations. ;) Freedom is just around the corner.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”