Have you got your Covid Vaccine yet?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Have you got your Covid Vaccine yet?

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Cathy and I got our 1st shot (Moderna) a couple weeks ago. Other than fatigue, we both felt fine. We get number 2 in a week. Looking forward to that one.

Pat

GrsdLnr
Master Guide

Post by GrsdLnr »

Finally got through on county health dep't website minutes ago and signed up - Moderna vaccine on Feb 11, followup appointment March 11.

Looking forward to somewhat safer spring and summer fishing trips.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

PYochim wrote:
02/08/21 08:35
Nick, unless an antibody surge specific for the virus have been detected during this phase that is hypothetical. I don't know if the data exists to support that. What has happened with COVID is that because it is relatively new and we know so little about it, statements made become gospel truth. It's just like the people who get the flu after having the flu vaccine are told that had they not received it they would have been far worse. No way of proving that.

Everyone is an expert because no one is an expert.
I'm going by two things. Knowing several people with many different reactions and what I've seen several medical "experts" from the vaccine development say on TV. Of course, there are some "experts", most on the internet and not on national TV, who say it's all a sham so maybe your last statement is the correct one. At least I have not heard of a death or unnatural DNA development from the vaccines yet like some predicted.

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

I get mine today!!!
Dennis

Srock
Sport

Post by Srock »

I received my shot today, 2/10. I lucked out, County Health dept was giving shots to those older than 75, but due to wintry conditions, opened it up to person over 70. Got in line and got the shot, pfizer, next shot about 3 weeks out. Overall, I think the process has been slow and frustrating and hope the whole process can be improved in the next couple of months. At this rate, it will take until mid summer for many to get the vaccination.

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

Second Pfizer shot this noon. So far, so good. Many fewer people there because vaccine supply was short. I was definitely waffling on getting the vaccine, but figured I would do it for those I love and for the world, if that's not too grandiose a thought.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

I got my first Moderna shot this morning at a UNC facility, lots of people but well organized and moved as quickly as possible. Arrived at 9 got the shot at 930 waited 30 minutes afterwards. My only side effects were a little soreness in the arm and fatigue in the afternoon. Napped and feel my "normal".
So glad to have gotten it but will continue to mask up until this crap is over. There is still a 5% chance to get it but who knows for oneself Plus the new variants may alter things. But it will be liberating after the second shot to be quasi-normal in public activities.

Cimarron that is why we do it - to protect ourselves and others. It's just the right thing to do. Plus you don't want the effects of it. It attacks all organ systems and can make you diabetic. This thing is scary.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I had my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine today. My arm is a little sore.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

My second shot is coming soon, thank god, but meanwhile our niece is a long-hauler: she has recovered but has continuing smell and taste problems, very common I've heard. It's a terrible thing this virus, nothing to poo-poo about.

Pwknauth
Sport

Post by Pwknauth »

1st shot (Moderna) on board 2/10; no problems

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I received the second dose of the Pfizer yesterday. That microchip is pretty small.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

I got mine this past Saturday. 1st Pfizer.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

fragmentum
Master Guide

Post by fragmentum »

I got mine yesterday through Providence hospital. Today my arm was a little tender but is otherwise ok. This was the Pfizer vaccine. 2nd dose in 3 weeks.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

PYochim wrote:
02/08/21 08:35
bassman wrote:
02/08/21 04:06
Again, I'm going with the plan that these little glitches for MOST people are just saying the bodies tuning itself attack the virus if one of those little buggers should find it's way into our system.
Nick, unless an antibody surge specific for the virus have been detected during this phase that is hypothetical. I don't know if the data exists to support that. What has happened with COVID is that because it is relatively new and we know so little about it, statements made become gospel truth. It's just like the people who get the flu after having the flu vaccine are told that had they not received it they would have been far worse. No way of proving that.

Everyone is an expert because no one is an expert.
There is a massive amount of info on COVID. We don’t have it totally figured out but to say we know little about it belies they fact there have been multiple clinical trials with tens of thousands of people and our entire world’s medical system working on this 24/7 for over a year. We know way more than a little about it. And the data conclusively show that if you are vaccinated, you are much less likely to get sick, in 95 cases out of 100 if you still get sick you will not get as sick as if you were not vaccinated.

Interesting fact - we have several hundred million combinations of antibodies in our system. A vaccine is a “cheat sheet” that tells us what combination will work when COVID shows up. So what Nick said is exactly right, that is the basic premise, a vaccine tunes the body up for a fight. It’s not hypothetical it’s what’s going on in the bodies of the 2 million people getting vaccinated every day.

Still waiting on mine - hopefully next 1-2 months. Glad for everybody who has received theirs.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Got second last Friday after a two-hour wait in a creeping car line at Dodger Stadium, biggest mass innoc site in America (listened to a good podcast so it was bearable). In 24 hours I got aches and fatigue, then lost taste and smell for about 6-7 hours. That passed, and by Tues I felt pretty good. Moderna.

My chip was Panasonic, so that made me happy.

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Had my second Moderna last Thursday evening. Only sore arm and fatigue most of Friday. Then late Friday night I felt like I was freezing and wife said I was burning up. By Saturday morning felt fine.

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

I get my first jab two hrs. from now.

I'm feelin' fine so far............... :pipe ;)

troutnut
Master Guide

Post by troutnut »

I will get my 2nd shot 3/13, 1st shot sore arm they told me to wait 15 minutes then I could leave. I got a little dizzy the first few minutes and then was fine. I got home was a little light headed occasionally for the next few hours and took a few naps. Arm was sore for a few days.
Good luck with shots everyone
Fred

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

In Maine we started with essential health and safety personnel and nursing homes. Next age 70 and above. Now we are at 60 and above and any school personnel . I am 66 and will get my shot next Wednesday in Bangor which is about an hour from my home. As more vaccine comes available things seem to be picking up. A 65 year old friend just signed up for tomorrow at a local pharmacy. By the time the spring melt runoff is over and the East Outlet of the Kennebec is fishable I'm hoping my biggest problem will be the Memorial Day black flies." We've come a long way baby!" ( you can tell I'm a kid from the 60s! ) I think "you've come a long way baby" was an ad slogan from that time period to promote women and smoking?

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

The day after my wife and I got our second shots (Moderna), we both had a reaction--chills, fatigue, and aches. Tylenol helped. However, the next day we felt fine. Same thing happened to everyone we know, whether they got Moderna or Pfizer.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”