Have you got your Covid Vaccine yet?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Heddon20
Guide

Re: Have you got your Covid Vaccine yet?

Post by Heddon20 »

It's been a slow process, but we are getting there. If they can get the # of doses/day up to 2 mil or more (which is doable once the J&J vaccine becomes available hopefully by end of Feb), then things will be dramatically different by summer.

The J&J vaccine would be perfect for use with the younger/healthier segment of our population. Use it on this segment and then the moderna/pfizer vaccines could be used for the age groups who are more at risk.

Since the J&J vaccine is a single shot dose, send it out to colleges/high schools (kids 16+) and just line these folks up and start getting them vaccinated before they leave school for the summer. For those who didn't get vaccinated, just repeat this process in the fall as they return to school.
Brian

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Just doing some reading on the net, always dangerous, but did read an article about the various vaccines. Moderna vaccine, which is what wife and I will get second shot on this week, is far better with a single shot than the Pfizer vaccine. Within a week of taking the Moderna you are at an 80% immunity rate, with the Pfizer shot only 50%. This is nice to know if they do like they're talking about quite a bit in holding off on second shots and just getting everyone the first shot while supplies are running low to all states. I hope they don't do this but if they do I'm glad I got the Moderna.

Holland
Master Guide

Post by Holland »

I am scheduled to get my Moderna booster this Thursday; turns out Oklahoma can do something right, the 1st vaccination went super smooth and fast. On the thirty minute drive up to Dewey I kept telling myself to just chill out and not get worked up about inefficient process. From the time I hit the line outside until I was back at my vehicle was 25 minutes which included 15 minutes of waiting period to make sure I didn't have an adverse reaction.

mrriver
Sport

Post by mrriver »

Vaccinated Saturday. Pfizer, sore arm, better already. The rollout is chaotic as expected. Nothing like this has ever been done. Your vaccination is a way of protecting your family, your friends, your county, your state , your country, the world. We have lost 100's of thousands of lives since mid-April because so many people refused to wear masks, wash hands, keep their distance and avoid large crowds. The country has been misled at the highest level. Not wearing a mask has become a political statement. I remember motorcycle helmet law and seat belt law rollout in NYS. Same objections using the same selfish stale arguments.

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

My wife can't get a vaccination because she's not 65 yet. She has had cancer twice and has a very compromised immune system, but that doesn't matter.

At the same time Florida has given out 41,000 vaccinations to people vacationing here.

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

Now they’re saying here, NM, that the second shot might have to be put out to 48 days, the limit of studied effectiveness, due to lack of vaccine.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

mrriver wrote:
02/02/21 16:00
I remember motorcycle helmet law and seat belt law rollout in NYS. Same objections using the same selfish stale arguments.
The selfish defiant personalities are similar but the arguments and consequences are different. People refusing to wear a mask are putting others at risk whereas those who refuse to wear motorcycle helmets or seat belts put only themselves at risk. They claim a "right" not to wear a helmet or seat belts and that is fine with me. They don't have a "right" to endanger the public by potentially spreading disease. A SCOTUS justice whose name escapes me once said that something is not a right if it endangers the health and welfare of others.

diamante
Sport

Post by diamante »

Got my second shot (Moderna) Tuesday and woke up Wednesday morning with joint aches but took two Tylenol and haven’t had any more problems.

NedZeppelin
Guide

Post by NedZeppelin »

64 and not at all worried about COVID. Probably had it in February, couple of us in an office job just before the hysteria hit, we called it the “weird flu” back at work in three days but messed up for a week.

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

Signed up early January. Invited in for the "jab" 1/21. Local county health department. Had to be there on time within 3 minutes of appointment. No one else allowed past door monitors. Organized, fluid operation in and out in less than 30 minutes 2nd shot scheduled at same time 21 days later. Staffed by volunteers, retired doctors and nurses, off duty health care professionals, national guard and college student volunteers. American go to and efficiency at its best! Yes, we can!!

Carl

MGrallert
Guide

Post by MGrallert »

I'm on the local volunteer fire department and will get my second Moderna on the 15th of this month. First one was kinda like a tetanus shot and for me no other side effects. I'm looking forward the the booster. Stay safe folks.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Wife and I got our second Moderna yesterday. Like Holland said OK is getting this right, at least in small towns like ours. Wife again wakes up with sore arm and me nothing...except...I feel really down almost like the start of a cold. No fever, minor overall feeling of something isn't quite right. I'm told in reading and news this is actually good in that means immune system is gearing up to take on any Covid bugs that try to work it's magic on my system. Now I'm ready to make an appearance in public again and the weather from Canada says it's going to be the coldest long term below freezing temps since 1996. Oh well, tie some more flies and maybe actually tie a few I'll get to use.

putemback
Guide

Post by putemback »

Don't forget, Bassman, it takes 2 weeks from the 2nd shot to have the full protective value of the initial vaccination plus the booster (2nd shot). So, by the time the subzero cold front moves out, you'll be ready to boogie.
Justin

"I'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person."-Bill Murray

redietz
Master Guide

Post by redietz »

I'm eligible, but availability of vaccine in my area is about nil. I'm on multiple waiting list, all of which tell me that if I can get my shot elsewhere, do so.

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

Got my 2nd Moderna shot on Thurs. Arm was pretty sore around injection site and still is a little sore. By yesterday AM started feeling pretty fatigued and a little achy. Last night I may have had a very low fever. It almost felt like I was coming down with a mild case of flu. As others have stated, this is a good thing as it means that the vaccine is working to ramp up your immune system to take on Covid. Took a couple ibuprofen before bed and woke up today and am feeling fine.

My wife made her appointment earlier this week and will be getting her 2nd Pfizer shot on Friday.

My mom (83 yrs old) will be getting her 1st moderna shot on March 6 and 2nd shot on April 3. She's with Kaiser and while I was talking with her yesterday, she mentioned that her appointments are on Saturdays and Kaiser is trying to schedule people then since there's less scheduling issues than during the work week with patients who have appointments for other things.
Brian

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Nine days since my first Moderna injection. Injection site has been very itchy for several days. Don't know if this a normal side effect or not.

udiablo
Sport

Post by udiablo »

Bassman and Holland,

Agree, it went smoothly.
I had to go down to Choctaw country for mine (Indian hospital near home has wifes records but not mine). Well staffed and efficient operation vaccinating 1,000 or so per day, gearing up to double that now. Slightly sore arm for a day. Pfizer vaccine. Glad to get it done so I can get back to traveling (work).

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

It went very smoothly for me also. When I got my 2nd shot on Thurs, the total time from when I walked through the front doors at the hospital to when I got back to the car was 20 minutes, and that included the 15 min waiting period after the shot to make sure I didn't have an adverse reaction. Amazing how organized and efficient they were. :D

Once we all are done with the 2 shot series, then it's just a matter of waiting until the booster shots are available this fall (if they're needed). Moderna and Pfizer are working on developing those, so that's good. :)
Brian

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

GRASSNGLASS wrote:
02/06/21 14:15
Nine days since my first Moderna injection. Injection site has been very itchy for several days. Don't know if this a normal side effect or not.
The more I talk to people and read about these shots I'm convinced there is no "normal" side effects. Second shot and my wife has sore arm again and no itching. Me nothing except that feeling like I'm coming down with something and that was only for a day. Friend of ours was in bed for a day with overall aches and stiffness. Considered a doc visit but got better next day and pretty much okay by third day. A couple of the older people (like us) in the wife's church had arms so sore they were pretty much useless for a couple of days. Some had tingling running up and down the arm. The itching is one I haven't heard yet but now I have that one to add to the list. Again, I'm going with the plan that these little glitches for MOST people are just saying the bodies tuning itself attack the virus if one of those little buggers should find it's way into our system.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

bassman wrote:
02/08/21 04:06
Again, I'm going with the plan that these little glitches for MOST people are just saying the bodies tuning itself attack the virus if one of those little buggers should find it's way into our system.
Nick, unless an antibody surge specific for the virus have been detected during this phase that is hypothetical. I don't know if the data exists to support that. What has happened with COVID is that because it is relatively new and we know so little about it, statements made become gospel truth. It's just like the people who get the flu after having the flu vaccine are told that had they not received it they would have been far worse. No way of proving that.

Everyone is an expert because no one is an expert.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”