Favorite Wine?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Favorite Wine?

Post by Hellmtflies »

Since there was a thread on "Favorite Whiskey" I thought it would be safe to include one for wine. For me I don't ever drink anything besides wine. Whiskey to me looks, smells & tastes like rod varnish and beer bloats me like a beached whale. :) So it's wine for me. How about you? I love my reds, Petit Sirah is my addiction but a cab now and again works. My every day wine is from Old Soul Vineyards their "Petite Sirah" is awesome and for other occasions a bottle of "Three Palms" from Duckhorn Vineyards works as does a bottle of "Freestone" cabernet from Van Strasser Vineyards. Soooo.....What's your favorite?
Mark

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Favorite Wine?

Post by mer »

"Free"
Riojas, Sangiovese-based (Chiantis, and non-Chianti styles)

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Alfred Eames cellars Paonia his Merlot is to die for!! Grown and stomped and fermented right here in Paonia and His wines are the featured wines during our meet and greet on Thursday night at CRR In July Fingers crossed it will happen this year!!

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

Home made. Any flavor.
Vern

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

Rhine and Mosel "Kabinets", not too many in US.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

I like the kind that comes in bottles. :P
I'm all about the reds and have my favourites on both ends of the spectrum, from rich Malbecs that you can stand a spoon up in to refined Pinot Noirs. I also like Gewurztraminers and Rieslings (when green apple crisp, not deathly sweet), but my body doesn't generally appreciate the sugar.
Fortunately, B.C. has some of the best wines in the World, though they tend to be a bit pricey because of limited production and high land value.
I opened a precious (The last remaining from ones purchased at the winery) 2016 Black Sage Zinfindel on the weekend and that was some kind of special!

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Amarone

Bill Terry
Guide

Post by Bill Terry »

Hellmtflies wrote:
02/11/21 09:22
Whiskey to me looks, smells & tastes like rod varnish and beer bloats me like a beached whale. :) ... So it's wine for me. How about you? Soooo.....What's your favorite?
Mark
Rod varnish? More like lighter fluid to me.

Favorite wines? I’ll just name varietals, since there are numerous great ones among each. Of course, there bad ones among each, too. Reds: Cabernet Sauvignon, Amarone della Valpolicella, Zinfandel, Syrah. Whites: Gruner Veltliner, Chardonnay (not oaky/buttery). Wineries: del Dotto, Far Niente, Paul Hobbs, Rafanelli, Cliff Lede, Lancaster.

Happy sipping,
Bill
Ad piscatoribus sunt omnes res secundi.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, We're not wine drinkers so much, however we were really impressed with the vineyards in BC around Osoyoos. My son was born in Oliver, BC. Two years ago we returned so my son could see where he was born. The area is really flourishing! We lived around Tonasket/Oroville which seemed OK but not like BC. Is that a picture of the Okanogan Valley?

Jay Edwards

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

"Forrest Edge" fruit wines, made right here in northern MN from varied fruits, not grapes.

They have some wonderful flavors!

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

An everyday style table red - Yellow Tail Big Bold Red
Better - Decoy Red Blend by Duckhorn
White - Newton Unfiltered Chardonnay
I can't think of a Petite Sirah that was not pretty yummy - Michael David Petite Petit is a good one for me

Years ago, my boss never drank any wine but Jordon Cabernet Sauvignon, and it was always excellent

Best red I ever had was 1997 Robert Mondavi Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon - early 2000's at Bandon Dunes, OR, dinner after afternoon round on Pacific Dunes course.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

bluesjay wrote:
02/11/21 14:58
Hi Guys, We're not wine drinkers so much, however we were really impressed with the vineyards in BC around Osoyoos. My son was born in Oliver, BC. Two years ago we returned so my son could see where he was born. The area is really flourishing! We lived around Tonasket/Oroville which seemed OK but not like BC. Is that a picture of the Okanogan Valley?

Jay Edwards
Yes! The touristy pumpkin pic is in the Oliver/Osoyoos area, near the border, and the vineyard is a little farther north.
Lots of nice scenery and holy cow, there are a lot of wineries in the Okanagan valley. My last trip was three days and I tasted at 35 wineries. :D The trunk was full of wine, plus some ciders thrown in for variety.

Drossi
Master Guide

Post by Drossi »

The wife and I are "redheads". CabSav, Merlot, Zinfindel, and Pinot Nior. I know very little about "good" wines as I like most I taste, they just need to be red.

In the last year or so we've been hitting the wineries within an hour or so of the house.

For you NY Metro area folks we really enjoy these wineries:

NJ - Brookhollow, Beneduce, Villa Milagro
PA - Blue Ridge (the Godfather really is that, a very dry red)

Hoping once COVID breaks to start on Finger lakes area wineries.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Yes, to all you fellow red heads. I can't name specific brands but love deep, delish reds, malbecs, riojas, zins, could be foreign or domestic. I did have a great pinot once, and looked up the maker. Was surprised to find that Carmel Road winery's maker is a Japanese American like me. Reminds me to grab a few bottles, not generally widely available.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

mer wrote:
02/11/21 09:39

Riojas, Sangiovese-based (Chiantis, and non-Chianti styles)
Mer,
You’d love to be stuck in my earthy chilly (a little bit moldy) old rock “wine” basement—full of those.
My favorites too. Are your tastes influenced by trips to Spain and Italy?

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Thunderbird and Ripple. No, in my wine drinking days I enjoyed Chateauneuf du Pape, Caymus Cabetnet Sauvignon and Oregon Pinot Noirs.

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

Mark, though I no longer drink alcohol I used to particularly enjoy the Malbec red wine from a few different Argentina wineries. I never tried one I didn't enjoy and if memory serves they have no sulfites, a plus for those prone to "wine headaches".

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

What’s the word?
Thunderbird

What’s the price?
Fitty twice

What’s the action?
Sat-isss-fac-shun!

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

Our favorite wine is Mosel, Spatlese, we got very acquainted with Mosel wines during our assignments to Germany in the 80s, 90s and 20s.

Arubey
Guide

Post by Arubey »

Too many variables to name a favorite wine. Even naming a favorite region is difficult. But pressed -> Southern Rhone, Chat-du-Pape can be amazing, but we're particularly fond of Gigondas.

And Piedmont or Tuscans, Riojas, Bordeaux (esp. left bank) Burgundy, and bordeaux style blends (WA state)...

Our 'house red' for some time has been Allegrini's Palazzo della Torre. Just super food friendly and wonderful on its own as well.

Salute!
A. Rubey Rod Co.
rubeyrods.com

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”