Favorite Wine?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

wineslob
Master Guide

Re: Favorite Wine?

Post by wineslob »

Howell Mountain Bancroft Ranch Merlot from Beringer.
When it was available Gallo of Sonoma Barrelli Creek Cab. Pretty much like getting Silver Oak at 1/3 the price.

Wlanzoni
Sport

Post by Wlanzoni »

Brunello
Bill Lanzoni
Wallingford, CT 06492
(203) 506-6600

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

99% of the wine I drink is red from Spain. Favorite regions are Ribera del Duero and Toro. I do drink plenty of Rioja, the most famous region, but not my favorite. Bierzo, Priorat, Utiel Requena are other regions that I like.

For cooking I have focused on Vinho Verde from Portugal, love the acidity and slight sweetness. I prefer it better than other more traditional whites.

Embarrassing to admit that I know a lot more about Spanish Reds than bamboo, and my drinking puts to shame my casting abilities.

Tight Lines y Salud!

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Wlanzoni wrote:
02/11/21 18:46
Brunello
I had a couple many years ago, years apart, and the nose (smell) was far better than any other red wine, ever.
Wish I could remember the details.

wineslob
Master Guide

Post by wineslob »

jhuskey wrote:
02/11/21 20:58
Wlanzoni wrote:
02/11/21 18:46
Brunello
I had a couple many years ago, years apart, and the nose (smell) was far better than any other red wine, ever.
Wish I could remember the details.
Speaking of which, I bought a 1987 Chateau Gruaud-Larose for my fathers 70th birthday. To this day it is the epitome of what Cabernet Sauvignon should be. I literally spent 5 min. just smelling the wine. Incredible wine.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Hi Mark, good choice for a new thread! Due to punitive import duties here I don’t drink wine as often as I’d like ( a very basic Jacob’s creek for example is over $20 USD ), but one of my favorites in the past few years was discovered on the recommendation of a friend I met through the Forum, and who was coincidentally working in Thailand. He and his wife had earlier spent years living n Milan, and suggested I look to Primitivo wines out of Puglia for good value, and which pair well with pasta and meat. I have yet to try one that wasn’t at least “ good “ and a few have been outstanding. The grape variety originated in Croatia and found it’s way over to California in the 1800’s where it was renamed Zinfandel.

ted patlen
Master Guide

Post by ted patlen »

I enjoy all the deep, full bodied reds like the cabs, but favor the Italian brunellos, barolos. Other favorites; Dry Riesling (Chateau Ste Michelle, Washington), Triumph, a meritage (Truro, Cape Cod), and a very drinkable table red from Alba Vineyards in New Jersey called Old Mill Red..

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

ted patlen wrote:
02/12/21 09:50
I enjoy all the deep, full bodied reds like the cabs, but favor the Italian brunellos, barolos. Other favorites; Dry Riesling (Chateau Ste Michelle, Washington), Triumph, a meritage (Truro, Cape Cod), and a very drinkable table red from Alba Vineyards in New Jersey called Old Mill Red..
Didn't the reds from N.J. seem sweet to you? To me they were thin as well. No legs.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

I'm a fan of Ruffino Chianti Classico, I prefer drier reds.

DaVinci is an acceptable substitute.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Hellmtflies wrote:
02/11/21 09:22
Since there was a thread on "Favorite Whiskey" I thought it would be safe to include one for wine. For me I don't ever drink anything besides wine. Whiskey to me looks, smells & tastes like rod varnish and beer bloats me like a beached whale. :) So it's wine for me. How about you? I love my reds, Petit Sirah is my addiction but a cab now and again works. My every day wine is from Old Soul Vineyards their "Petite Sirah" is awesome and for other occasions a bottle of "Three Palms" from Duckhorn Vineyards works as does a bottle of "Freestone" cabernet from Van Strasser Vineyards. Soooo.....What's your favorite?
Mark
Well, Mark, if you're a true "wino", you are always looking for your next "favorite".

In the 1970's I lived one valley over from the Napa Valley and, in fact, was a member of the Napa Valley Fly Fishers. Thus, I've been semi-addicted to good wine for almost 50 years now.

And as a matter of fact, years ago I fished the Paradise Valley spring creeks regularly with the then young Duckhorn owners...no kidding! They make exceptionally good wines. And try some varietals from J. Lohr...a South Dakota expatriate and California winery owner. His cabs are especially nice!

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by reelsmith »

Big, bold Cabs.

Unfortunately, having multiple ulcers, I haven't' one in a long time.

Dean.

magpie
Guide

Post by magpie »

Whatever cuts the grease.

JUSTAPAYNE
Sport

Post by JUSTAPAYNE »

Living in Burgundy I won't pass ! Sure a red Chambolle Musigny at 14 Celsius and a white Meursault at 12°C max. I remember a "formidable" Nuits Saint Georges drunk at friends house... in the Sonoma Walley.

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

Louis Jadot Beaujoulais, newer the better, I used to buy it by the case. Old vine Zins are lovely too.

ted patlen
Master Guide

Post by ted patlen »

Hellmtflies wrote:
02/12/21 14:38
ted patlen wrote:
Didn't the reds from N.J. seem sweet to you? To me they were thin as well. No legs.
I think there are something like 40 vineyards in Jersey and there are a number of wines that are not sweet. The Alba Vineyards table red, "Old Mill" is dryer than most, refreshing, not harsh. It is not a cab but still a pleasant glass of wine.

canogacreek
Guide

Post by canogacreek »

Absolute favorite is Amarone, a very nice dry red Italian blend, a bit pricey so only for special occasions. Any dry red is fine but I am partial to Italian reds, especially blends. But Cabs and Malbacs are fine.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel but my memory".
Aldo Leopold

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Flyman615 wrote:
02/12/21 17:40
Hellmtflies wrote:
02/11/21 09:22
Since there was a thread on "Favorite Whiskey" I thought it would be safe to include one for wine. For me I don't ever drink anything besides wine. Whiskey to me looks, smells & tastes like rod varnish and beer bloats me like a beached whale. :) So it's wine for me. How about you? I love my reds, Petit Sirah is my addiction but a cab now and again works. My every day wine is from Old Soul Vineyards their "Petite Sirah" is awesome and for other occasions a bottle of "Three Palms" from Duckhorn Vineyards works as does a bottle of "Freestone" cabernet from Van Strasser Vineyards. Soooo.....What's your favorite?
Mark
Well, Mark, if you're a true "wino", you are always looking for your next "favorite".

In the 1970's I lived one valley over from the Napa Valley and, in fact, was a member of the Napa Valley Fly Fishers. Thus, I've been semi-addicted to good wine for almost 50 years now.

And as a matter of fact, years ago I fished the Paradise Valley spring creeks regularly with the then young Duckhorn owners...no kidding! They make exceptionally good wines. And try some varietals from J. Lohr...a South Dakota expatriate and California winery owner. His cabs are especially nice!

Scott
Thank you Scott. Curious though. Since you had fished with those folks doesn't Dan Duckhorn live here in Big Sky? Also, if you fished with Dan did you know Jack Scott? He was one of the initial investors in Duckhorn vineyards years ago. Jack is my brother-in-law. Just curious.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

ted patlen wrote:
02/13/21 09:20
Hellmtflies wrote:
02/12/21 14:38
ted patlen wrote:
I think there are something like 40 vineyards in Jersey and there are a number of wines that are not sweet. The Alba Vineyards table red, "Old Mill" is dryer than most, refreshing, not harsh. It is not a cab but still a pleasant glass of wine.
Good to know. When I lived there I only remember the ones that were to sweet for me. Next time I'm out there I'll look further.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Brooks wrote:
02/11/21 16:21
mer wrote:
02/11/21 09:39

Riojas, Sangiovese-based (Chiantis, and non-Chianti styles)
Mer,
You’d love to be stuck in my earthy chilly (a little bit moldy) old rock “wine” basement—full of those.
My favorites too. Are your tastes influenced by trips to Spain and Italy?
:)
Not influenced by travel (I'm a homebody), but perhaps heritage (maternal grandfather 100% Sicilian). Lots of memories of grandpa picking grapes from the vines in our yard, some went to wine, some went to vinegar. The best d**n vinegar ever put on a salad. My mouth is watering right now remembering the taste of it. Yes, I'm also a bit of a "snob" when it comes to vinegars and olive oils.

Some of the too dry reds trigger migraines (as does decaf coffee and fluoride in toothpaste) so I figure out what tastes good and doesn't hurt my head and then stick with it.

Had some very nice Sangiovese blends that went well with just about anything.

Folks talking about wines from Chile, Argentina, 100% agree. Very often a very nice wine at a very nice price point (but I'm also convinced that blind tasting 99% of people wouldn't know a $15 bottle from a $1500 bottle. In fact they may like drinking the $15 bottle a lot more).

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

My favorite winery went out of business decades ago,unfortunately! His grape, rose, and dandelion wines were superb! His best was his tomato wine; smooth as silk with a very pretty linament green color, and unsurpassable clarity!

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”