Favorite Wine?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

GrsdLnr
Master Guide

Re: Favorite Wine?

Post by GrsdLnr »

Hellmtflies wrote:
02/26/21 11:09
...After one finishes the wine the box gets burned in the camp fire and the plastic bag gets blown up to be used as a pillow. :)
Now that's multitasking!

Catch 22
Guide

Post by Catch 22 »

Flykuni3 wrote:
02/25/21 21:36
Had an interesting experience with Two Buck Chuck from Trader Joe's...I realized during dinner how delish it was, and was puzzled till I found out it had been stored for at least 8 years. Darn good Cabernet.

I had the same type of experience with a Barefoot Merlot. My sister had it laying down in her fridge for 7-8 years. I saw it and decided to give it a try. It was really good. I was pleasantly surprised.

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

My wife has a much more sophisticated palate than I when it comes to wine so she's a little harder to please, but our daily table wine lately has been Smoking Loon Merlot or Cabernet, and also the Chardonnay. Our local liquor emporium has a habit of stocking products at low initial prices and raising the price once you get "hooked" :) . So far it's holding at $5.99 a bottle; certainly not the best we've ever had, but pretty darn hard to beat at that price.
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

Lee Koch
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Lee Koch »

Anyone who appreciates Petit Syrah ought to look for Trader Joe's Reserve Paso Robles Syrah. You can find better Syrahs, and definitely more expensive ones, but you may be challenged to find a better value in Syrahs. FWIW :-)

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

Oh, and back in "the day" I did imbibe a few bottles of Carlo Rossi Paisano - super cheap, and used mostly to sooth the throat during and after another 60's activity (a nickel bag and a fifth of oil was the saying as I recall). Not that I ever...
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Anything from the Lutz family vineyard in Betcholstiem, Germany.
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

Catch 22
Guide

Post by Catch 22 »

Lee Koch wrote:
03/05/21 20:47
Anyone who appreciates Petit Syrah ought to look for Trader Joe's Reserve Paso Robles Syrah. You can find better Syrahs, and definitely more expensive ones, but you may be challenged to find a better value in Syrahs. FWIW :-)
Several of the Trader Joe's wines are pretty good values. I don't get them too often, because they aren't sold in CT, but when I venture into MA and find myself near a Trader Joe's I usually stop in and take a few home. FYI, Petite Syrah and Syrah are different grapes. Petite Syrah is a bit more acidic and tannic than Syrah. Syrah is mostly drinkable right away, while Petite Syrah may have sit for a while due to the tannins. Cheers!

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”