Cataract Surgery

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

DireWolf53
Master Guide

Cataract Surgery

Post by DireWolf53 »

Now that I am the same age as old people the time has come to get my cataracts taken care of.
My question for those of you who have gone through the procedure is how much to correct?
I used to get my glasses prescribed to 20/15. Since I do not mind using reading glasses I'd like
to do the same (if possible). Anyone have experience going this route?

Thanks,
Paul
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout." - Paul O'Neil

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Cataract Surgery

Post by jhuskey »

I had mine done early 2019 - corrected to 20/20. I still need 2.50 readers, and may go to 3.00, at least try for the computer/phone work.
I'd consult with your eye doc and discuss pros/cons, etc. Since you were used to 20/15, that may be the way to go, but again ask the doc.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Paul, I plan on going that route when I get mine done. Mine are early cataracts. I don't want to be the guy who has them done and says, "I should have done this a long time ago." As soon as mine meet the minimum criteria for insurance payment I will have them done.

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

Had both eyes done a couple years ago and had needed +2 or +3 readers plus a mild distance correction before surgery. After, needed "0" readers and a slight correction on middle distance for which I was able to use a 3-4 year old Rx. Smartest move I've made in quite a while as I was able to begin reusing the best pair of fishing sunglasses I've ever had.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

levertonhatches
Master Guide

Post by levertonhatches »

Had mine done a couple of years ago. Same doc I'd had for a solid 30 years and he finally told me it was time to get the right eye done. Piece of cake, and he took the right eye (shooting eye) to 20/15. He then gave me a form and sent me down to the DMV to get a new driving license. But wait, I said, what about the left eye? Doc said " you have a little cataract in the left eye too but you can read fine with the left eye, and your left-eye-right-eye in combination are 20-20, so you just head on down and get your new license." Which I did. So I ended up with a left-side-short-distance reading eye, and with the two eyes uncorrected I can drive fine. My recommendation is to have a thorough discourse with your doc, to make sure that you get it like you want it.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

DireWolf53, I did exactly what you are proposing. I use glasses for reading and carry an old pair in my vest for changing tippets and flies. It has all worked out very well and so will yours.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

My lens implants have lasted for 25 years now and are still going strong...
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

I also had both eyes done about three years ago. I can read a computer without glasses but reading a book I need some help. I can drive with out but find it better to wear them. Now some of you are say what the hey. Well I have astigmatism,and kinda screws things up under certain circumstances.
Oh I can thread a fly without any help if there is plenty of light.

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

I had mine done 6 years ago since I had 75% blockage in one eye and 40% in my other eye. i now have 20/20 in both eyes but I do need reading glasses. The prep for surgery is about 2 hours and the surgery takes about 20-25 minutes. I had the 40% done about 3-4 weeks later. I'm glad I did it I was afraid to drive at night.
Dennis

Jim Curlee
Guide

Post by Jim Curlee »

Do they put you "out" for cataract surgery.
It's on my, pretty soon your going to have to get it done surgery list.
Jim

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

No, they give you some pain killer in your eyeball and that’s all you need.
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Jim Curlee wrote:
02/18/21 09:10
Do they put you "out" for cataract surgery.
It's on my, pretty soon your going to have to get it done surgery list.
Jim
Jim, a general anesthetic which I assume you are referring to is not necessary for this procedure. You are given light sedation and the surgeon applies local anesthetic eye drop to the surface of your eye. The procedure takes 10 to 15 minutes, you are observed for a while afterward and then go home.

Capt. Frank
Master Guide

Post by Capt. Frank »

Usually, unless you op for the expensive ($2500) lenses, they correct your vision, to what it was before cataracts. My old glasses work well, I am far sighted, and need glasses for close work.

kentuckyjim
Guide

Post by kentuckyjim »

I had the surgery with the optional lenses about 10 years ago. I am totally thrilled and amazed with the results. The procedure was really quick and easy and the results beyond anything I imagined. If only they could do something similar for my hearing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Okay, I'm confused. So far my eyes are one of the few things I don't have problems with but I don't understand the surgery the way you guys talk. I thought cataract surgery just removed the growth covering the eye. I thought vision correction was done with laser surgery like my wife had. What's with the corrective surgery with cataracts? I can see how a lense in eye (ick) could correct vision but do they sculp the eye or something and how do they know they've corrected surgery?

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

In cataract surgery the lens, which has become opaque, is removed and a new plastic lens replaces it. Lasik sculpts the outer surface of the eye with a laser to correct other issues including astigmatism.

levertonhatches
Master Guide

Post by levertonhatches »

To Jim Curlee -- "Do they "put you out" for the procedure -- in my experience the doc put me on a cot and said he'd be right back. After a few minutes a a tech walked by and I asked him when the doc would perform the procedure. "Oh, he's done" said the tech. I never knew.

Jim Curlee
Guide

Post by Jim Curlee »

LH;
That's my kind of doc. lol
Jim

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

Scheduled to get mine taken care of in April (one year delay with the pandemic). My insurance will cover the surgery and basic lenses that will make distance vision AOK. For $2 grand per eye, I can get my reading and close up vision back on track. $4,000 buys lots of glasses... those who opted for the enhanced lenses... was it worth it?

Thanks!

kentuckyjim
Guide

Post by kentuckyjim »

It definitely was for me. 11 years after the surgery my vision still amazes me. Yes it was expensive but since I was in my 60s it probably would be worth it. I was very enthusiastic and told everyone. When I asked the doctor at a follow up if I was overselling the procedure he said maybe. YMMV.
Wish there was a procedure for hearing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”