Ski Wax

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Salar4me
Guide

Re: Ski Wax

Post by Salar4me »

Somewhat related, or at least I’ll try to make it so... picked up the waxable skis below at an auction back in the fall - which included a pair of alpine skis of similar vintage. With buyer’s premium and obscene NYS taxes, my total bill was $11.00. I ordered kick wax which cost 3x as much as the skis and took over 3 months to be delivered. Reminded me somewhat of trying to find Overton’s dubbing wax.

My 3 pin boots disintegrated long ago and couldn’t find a pair for a reasonable price so switched out the bindings to match existing dogs. Finally had the chance to try them out last weekend and like them so much more than the waxless variety. Next project - stripping down to bare wood and finding a source for pine tar

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

I'm not a skier, but this is a great tip. Thanks Nelson! :)

Pat

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Nice Vid. John!

I've always liked a bit of some odd wax stuff I have and then used the dubbing loop shown. It makes my flies look like I know what I'm doing... ::)

Mike McGuire
Master Guide

Post by Mike McGuire »

Ahh klister, especially silver klister for spring alpine touring, highly superior to skins--traction and glide like riding a bicycle. It was easily managed with a positive mental attitude and a good putty knife--hardly ever had to resort to a torch.

Mike
A Selection of my DIY Rodmaking Tools

driftless angler
Master Guide

Post by driftless angler »

Well, all I can say is I survived.... barely. That was the toughest Birkie yet, surpassing one about 17 years ago where the temp was 50 degrees and the snow turned to mashed potatoes.

We got close to 5" of snow during the race, so no klister was needed. The temp was close to freezing, the dreaded conditions were the snow wants to clump to any kind of kick wax. Slow snow and there was no track for the last 10K, the new snow had buried it.

A character builder for sure and hey, I needed that!

Thanks for all the well wishes from many of you!

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”