Car top rod carrier

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

owenscaddis
Master Guide

Car top rod carrier

Post by owenscaddis »

Do any members have experience using a car top rod rack for bamboo rods. I am thinking of buying one, as we bought a smaller SUV (downsize from a Surburban, where rods could be easily placed inside). I am a bit nervous putting a bamboo rod in one, as the tip sections seem to have some play that I worry the rods may get scratched. If you do use one, what brand do you recommend?

Frank

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Car top rod carrier

Post by steeliefool »

I my opinion, they are impractical as I believe it would be not good to travel any distance with a rod in one and so would only be useful to carry rods for short hops from spot to spot. Big expence and vechicle mod just to save the time time to break down/assemble a rod. Plus, I think they look pretty silly.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

steeliefool wrote:
03/01/21 08:05
I my opinion, they are impractical as I believe it would be not good to travel any distance with a rod in one and so would only be useful to carry rods for short hops from spot to spot. Big expence and vechicle mod just to save the time time to break down/assemble a rod. Plus, I think they look pretty silly.
DITTO! To me all it represents is laziness and a disrespect for the equipment. That and a huge advertisement as to what might be in your vehicle while you are on the water and away from same. Vehicle theft is an issue wherever you are. That's just my opinion.

pgwulf
Guide

Post by pgwulf »

Hellmtflies wrote:
03/01/21 10:14
steeliefool wrote:
03/01/21 08:05
DITTO! To me all it represents is laziness and a disrespect for the equipment. That and a huge advertisement as to what might be in your vehicle while you are on the water and away from same. Vehicle theft is an issue wherever you are. That's just my opinion.
Afirm! My stuff is locked up and out of sight, no stickers on the bumper of windows to signal what brand of what I may have; not even a "Protected by Smith & Wesson" decal...why advertise or WARN?
"Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend...inside a dog, it's too dark to read!" Groucho Marx

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

These are smart men....🙂

putemback
Guide

Post by putemback »

Car top rod carriers are referred to as a “Steal me” accessory. Only folks for whom they make sense are guides. For everyone else, they say look at me. I’m a fly fisherman. Just my opinion.
Justin

"I'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person."-Bill Murray

adkfan
Guide

Post by adkfan »

I use one on rivers when I do a lot of spot hopping like the frying pan and some of the Catskill’s. I have a Titan since they started making them. I have the lined with the Chinese finger cuff rod sleeves.

Impractical for my steelhead adventures tho as I use long rods

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

Wow, afraid of jumping in with a positive review....

I have had mine for 4 years. The Denver Outfitters one. Thule bought them out some time ago. I really like it. I have young two kids and a wife and fishing time is scarce. I love setting the rod at night, I also commit the sacrilege of putting my waders at home. They are really comfortable! I fish very early in the mornings, usually hiking in the dark. I drive to the spot, and I am on my way in no time.

Now fishing bamboo, I do put the rod away driving home. I like the ritual of inspecting it, drying it, and taking off my waders. It is extremely convenient for me. I really do not worry about thieves, I have not heard of anybody breaking in cars or rod carriers in my area in the 20 + years I have been fishing.

I recommend the Thule one, but you might want to check others that have come up in the market recently. Check the quality of the locks, the tube material, and how “comfortable” the rod and reel sit inside. I do put a neoprene pouch on the reel for better “insulation”.

Tight Lines

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

Don't try it in the South East.... they steal everything they can get their hands on,I including the car and/or trailer. Low profile and raggedy car seems to be the best profile. The situation tends to be up and down, but why take a chance.?

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

+1 "Don't try it in the South East...." Everything has to be out of sight. Better yet, don't take anything else than what you need and leave the car empty with a door unlocked if it's a high-theft area. Four friends of mine had their truck broken in to and collectively lost 6 rods and reels, three fishing bags and other sundry items. Of course the back window of the truck was smashed out so that's $500 bucks right there. Nobody around saw a thing.....

I always break my rods down when moving from place to place; however, I have a long black ABS plastic pipe that I made into a rod carrier that I strap to the roof of my car when travelling if I have a full car/truck. PVC pipe will work also but it's not as attractive.

I got my pipe and fittings at Lowe's. I opted for 4" pipe about 10 feet long. Long enough to carry a nine footer without the reel. I bought an end cap, a screw on adapter fitting and a screw-in plug. Before I glued the end cap on I glued a round piece of black foam into the end for cushion. All of the parts cost about $20 bucks at the time. I'd post a photo but it's in a Pods container.

The plain black pipe doesn't scream "steal me" but it's a target nonetheless. When I arrive at the destination the rods go into the car out of sight.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

I built a truck bed vault for the back of my ""work" truck. And the truck has a locked canopy/topper. It's great for shotguns and rods. They'd have to pry open the tailgate to have access to the two drawers of booty (which is of course doable, as is stealing the whole damn truck).

With the exception of my Bob Clay Suskwa 12-footer, and a couple others, most all my rods are 2/2's and I break them in half between fishing spots and put them in a DB Dun rod and reel case while transporting and fishing. Then back into aluminum at day's end.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Would not trust any of these contraptions with my bamboo and I agree with minimizing what is left in your vehicle. People can be miserable creatures, why give them an invitation to ruin your day?
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

trland
Master Guide

Post by trland »

With this cargo net and Loop Rope I can drive with 9' rods with reels attached inside a GMC Yukon. I've thought about those exterior rod racks but dismissed them as theft targets as well.

owenscaddis
Master Guide

Post by owenscaddis »

thanks for all the responses. I got my answer and given how pricey they can be, saved some money.

baughb
Guide

Post by baughb »

Only if they look like 50 caliber machine guns.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

czkid wrote:
03/01/21 12:07
Don't try it in the South East.... they steal everything they can get their hands on,I including the car and/or trailer. Low profile and raggedy car seems to be the best profile. The situation tends to be up and down, but why take a chance.?
^^^ this is my strategy, hide the rod tubes under the dog blanket on the back seat. Bling brings attention both good and BAD.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”